Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
121 - 128 of 128 Posts

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 · (Edited)
That fan should be plenty large for a 4bt. How did you fit that fan to the Cummins fan hub? The pilot on their hubs is 1" and a GM fan isn't. Do you know the part # on that fan. Many of the fans for the 454 are reverse rotation (counter clockwise). You fan blade is clockwise. Might need to double check that.
The fan is for a 1970 Chevelle with 454 big block. GM part # 3976064. It's a aftermarket manufacture.
Product Font Screenshot Software Rectangle

As for how I did it see: 4BT fan options

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
My concern was not so much on the fan blade as one the clutch assembly. How did you fit that to a Cummins fan bracket? Cummins uses a 1.00" pilot and that fan clutch for the Chevy is .625".

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
My concern was not so much on the fan blade as one the clutch assembly. How did you fit that to a Cummins fan bracket? Cummins uses a 1.00" pilot and that fan clutch for the Chevy is .625".
Pictures are better that a paragraph:
Wheel Automotive tire Tire Tread Finger
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Rim Gas

Turned the pilot down to .625" and left a .140" tall step for the pulley.
Not my best job of locating the new screw holes.

Reactions: SUBRUTUS

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
OK. A bit of custom work there. Beats the heck out of paying $300 for a Cummins clutch assembly. LOL. In real life you may have few times when the fan actually comes on. The 4bt runs on the cold side unless you really put it to work. Guys running in 100 deg weather rarely have their electric fans come on.

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 · (Edited)
OK. A bit of custom work there. Beats the heck out of paying $300 for a Cummins clutch assembly. LOL. In real life you may have few times when the fan actually comes on. The 4bt runs on the cold side unless you really put it to work. Guys running in 100 deg weather rarely have their electric fans come on.
The fan clutch is a Imperial 215052 severe duty, used on a lot of vehicles. About $40.
I'm in Arizona. With the heat and the AC load the fan clutch gets a work out.

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 · (Edited)
Spent the last week figuring out how to mount the radiator. Decided to mount it in a support frame and then mount the assembly in the factory location using the factory bolt holes. Inclined the radiator (5 degrees) like the factory, makes fabricating the fan shroud a little easier.
Grille Automotive radiator part Gas Composite material Automotive exterior

The bottom support is lined with bicycle inner tube to prevent chaffing.
Automotive radiator part Grille Wood Rectangle Gas

The holes for the radiator mount are slotted so it can slide without tearing the flanges off. And added nylon washer to accommodate the movement.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior
Product Motor vehicle Wood Gas Electrical wiring

2.5" from the radiator core to the fan clutch
Motor vehicle Gas Engineering Machine Auto part
Hood Automotive tire Wood Trunk Bumper

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
121 - 128 of 128 Posts