Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
161 - 180 of 197 Posts

·
Premium Member
1972 F250 4x4, 78 d60/d60, 3.55, np205, 200hp 4bt nv4500 superHX30w
192 Posts
Looks great! Seeing the 3 piece engine/trans/tcase unit suspended gives heebeegeebees but helps visualize what I’m about in for. Did the cu-ni and AN fittings work smoothly, adapters needed at both ends of the length?
Cheers,
Sam

·
Premium Member
1972 F250 4x4, 78 d60/d60, 3.55, np205, 200hp 4bt nv4500 superHX30w
192 Posts
Looking at your solid frame side engine mounts, saw you had a side-side slotted hole for the rubber mount, does that allow for install, alignment, or both? I imagine it’s good to be able to shim/adjust the installation to get optimal angles/fit.
Sam

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 · (Edited)
Looks great! Seeing the 3 piece engine/trans/tcase unit suspended gives heebeegeebees but helps visualize what I’m about in for. Did the cu-ni and AN fittings work smoothly, adapters needed at both ends of the length?
Cheers,
Sam
The copper/nickel works well with the AN fittings. I did find that I could not double flare the Cu-Ni tubeing, it's just too soft.
To join two line you need a nut, a ferrule and a union, then another ferrule and nut.
The estimated weight of the power train is probably close to 1200 lbs for the 1000 lb rating at max extension. But not near the absolute rating where damage occurs. I wouldn't be doing this every day.

Looking at your solid frame side engine mounts, saw you had a side-side slotted hole for the rubber mount, does that allow for install, alignment, or both? I imagine it’s good to be able to shim/adjust the installation to get optimal angles/fit.
Sam
The slotted holes are for alignment.

Reactions: stpackard

·
Premium Member
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
Fuel tank is in, fuel filler, vent, main fuel line and fuel tank sending unit attached, ready for fuel. Decided to use a weatherpack connector for the fuel tank sending unit connector.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Hood
Automotive tire Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Wood
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bicycle tire Bumper
Tool Gas Auto part Automotive exhaust Pipe
Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Electrical wiring

I know it looks like i have stock in Ideal Clamp Manufacturing Co, But no all the clamps are needed on the fuel filler line. It's my kludge moment.

·
Premium Member
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
Now have room for the Air filter housing.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Hood

Air filter box if from a 94-02 Dodge Ram Diesel
Wheel Tire Hood Automotive tire Tread

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Gas Automotive tire

Now to fab up the box.

·
Premium Member
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
After carefull measurements decided to lower the floor an inch and took out some frivolous contours in the fender well.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper

Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

Next thing is to cover the ends.

Reactions: Russ McLean

·
Premium Member
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
Roughed in, still have some pin holes to weld up.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
Instead of using the Spiral Wrap material for chafing guards try using a piece of Fuel Hose split with two small Tie Wraps holding it in place. It only needs to be in places where contact with something is possible. I also used heat shrink tube directly on the lines with the fuel hose over the top when going thru holes in thinner material.

Light Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Gas Plumbing

·
Premium Member
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
Instead of using the Spiral Wrap material for chafing guards try using a piece of Fuel Hose split with two small Tie Wraps holding it in place. It only needs to be in places where contact with something is possible. I also used heat shrink tube directly on the lines with the fuel hose over the top when going thru holes in thinner material.
Good idea.

·
Premium Member
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 · (Edited)
I've been brain storming the battery tray, how to support the 54 lb battery and not have it tear the sheet metal and fall through on the ground. Not having FEA (finite element analysis) at my disposal I opted for over kill from underneath. Not quite pleased with the support, came up short on the diagonal supports, literally. And I found out that I could have some tire to battery support interference. But I did remeasure the hood clearance for the battery and I have 4" to play with. Contemplating raising the floor of the tray to move it away from the tire. I'm sure that the 2" spring lift kit will provide plenty of clearance but want to be sure.
Gas Automotive tire Electrical wiring Engineering Auto part

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Hood Trunk

Wood Automotive exterior Gas Machine Composite material

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
I'd say when you get that sheet metal tray welded into the surrounding material you will be just fine. You have significant support under the Tray and it doesn't appear to be able to go anywhere. Even if you were planning on banging around on Rock Trails (which I don't think you will be doing) I'd still say you are good to go. Also it looks clean from the top, maybe knock the corners off the hold down bar so you don't get inadvertently cut. But that is nit picking.

I understand Over Kill perfectly and you've achieved that. The only thing I would look at is maybe a way to enclose all of that undercarriage so that dirt and debris doesn't accumulate in there since it is located in the wheel well and will be subject to a constant barrage of flying debris..

As far as strength goes,,, You've got that covered!

When you do the final assembly put a piece of 1/8-1/4" thick rubber gasket material under the battery, so vibration won't wear thru the battery case.

It will vibrate,,, believe me.!!!

Randy

·
Premium Member
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 · (Edited)
The battery box is in and welded up, minus 3/4" off the top. Found that the the box had a slope of 1/4" left to right, and a group 34 battery would have set level with the top of the inner fender. Cut out the offending metal and welded it up.

·
Premium Member
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 ·
I decided not to grind the welds on the battery box and make it look pretty. The box is made from .062 sheet, the fender well is from .042-.030 depending on where you measure because of the uneven thickness from the stamping process. Welding the air box with .032 wire (mig) I was constantly blowing holes and having to back fill . It was a fiasco. On the battery box I used .023 wire.
I'd rather have strong welds for that 54 pound battery.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
I use Flapper Discs/Wheels on my Makita for things like that, they fair in things much easier than using a solid grinding wheel or even a Sanding Disk.. I only knock off the high spots and be done with it. If you really want it to look nice then smear some Bondo on it to fair in the low spots then finish with the flapper wheel. You won't be cutting into the base material at all so strength won't be a problem. In fact with all the undercarriage support you've got it wouldn't be a problem ever..

After you paint it black , no one will know that it didn't come that way.

I think it came out pretty decent.. With a little cosmetic zhuzhing (final touches) it will be first rate!

I had to do this on some of the fish plates on my frame because the welding didn't really come out like it would have 30 years ago. You can see were the Bondo is in this pic.
Hood Automotive tire Asphalt Road surface Wood

Randy

·
Premium Member
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
I use Flapper Wheels on my Makita for things like that, they fair in things much easier than using a solid grinding wheel or even a Sanding Disk.. I only knock off the high spots and be done with it. If you really want it to look nice then smear some Bondo on it to fair in the low spots then finish with the flapper wheel. You won't be cutting into the base material at all so strength won't be a problem. In fact with all the undercarriage support you've got it wouldn't be a problem ever..

After you paint it black , no one will know that it didn't come that way.

I think it came out pretty decent.. With a little cosmetic zhuzhing (final touches) it will be first rate!

I had to do this on some of the fish plates on my frame because the welding didn't really come out like it would have 30 years ago. You can see were the Bondo is in this pic.

Randy
I buy flap wheels by the half dozen.
On the air filter tray I'll be using the bondo. On the battery box, will see.

·
Premium Member
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 · (Edited)
Cold air intake.
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Nickel Engineering
Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

Looking from the front I may need to add a shield to keep the rain from getting into the air box

·
Premium Member
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 · (Edited)
The cold air intake for the airbox, that's a mock up. I haven't been able get back to it, Lots of yard work on the ranch this spring. The previous owners laid rock on 1/3 of the back yard and the rest of it is bare dirt. We live in the high desert (4200') where grass is not an option. So were "rocking" the rest of it amoung other things. Be back working on the Wagon soon.

·
Premium Member
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
The air box is mostly finished. Added an aluminum plate to the front of the air box to cover the oval for the 6B and change it to a 4.5" hole to accommodate the cold air intake tube. Had to modify the air box mount. Forget to leave room for the clip in the lower left of the picture. Added a small notch.
Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Gas Bumper Machine

·
Premium Member
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·
The cold air intake tube was floating, it's secured now.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design

161 - 180 of 197 Posts