Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Aside from strength, those front axle spacers will make the steering harder(even less of center point steering), wear the wheel bearings more, put more stress on front axle(bending).

Ed
My assumption was they had been used to run the 18" wheels that have incorrect backspacing. Either way, it's a good thing they were on the Dana 44 IFS that's getting pulled out. :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
I started futzing around with the Sterling truss tonight in the garage. It needed a little trimming, so I ground a couple of spots and got it to fit pretty well before I realized I didn't know exactly what the proper installation specifications are. My assumption was that the top of the truss could be parallel to the pinion angle. According to Artec, the proper way to install their trusses is to set your pinion angle and then weld the truss parallel to the ground at ride height. Well, the problem is I can't set the pinion angle of either of my axles without the transfer case in place so I can mock up the driveshafts. Which means the drivetrain needs to be in place.

I'd really rather not put everything back together only to have to take it apart again, so it looks like I may be getting the E4OD rebuilt sooner than later. And I still need a low stall (~1600 RPM) torque converter and flexplate.

I had wanted to get both of the assembled axles installed in roughly the correct place before I started on that part of the build. I can still make forward progress, but I can't weld my trusses on until my drivetrain is in place. Crap.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Project Bronco has been put on hold: we bought a house in Damascus, OR. Unsurprisingly, it's been pretty busy around here for the last few weeks. With the holidays coming and our actual move in the middle of them, it will continue to be until at least the new year.

The new house is pretty nice, but the garage space is significantly smaller. Not too big of a deal, really; I have WAY more space than I need now. The problem is that I have accumulated quite a bit of stuff I need to pare down. Long story short, it will be at least a few months until we get settled in and I get my stuff reorganized enough to get back on the Bronco.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
The house in Damascus didn't work out; once we had our inspection done, it had too many problems. We actually ended up buying a house in Milwaukie.

The downside is, I no longer have a shop. Only a one-car garage that's FULL of all the stuff from the shop space I used to have. And I'm working lots of hours out of town for the foreseeable future.

Consequently, this project has been put on hold until I get a shop built. Hopefully it will be this summer, but it may not happen 'til next. I'll update this thread once I have something worthwhile to report.

·
Registered
11,625 Posts
Sorry you had to give up on this project. Life does throw us some curves every once in a while. Maybe you could do a 6bt swap into a pickup for towing the 5th wheeler. Best of luck on your new endeavors.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Yeah, I'm definitely in a different place than I expected a few months ago.

Someday, I'll get another diesel project going... the DT360 didn't sell, so I've got it squirreled away for a possible swap in the future.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah, I'm definitely in a different place than I expected a few months ago.

Someday, I'll get another diesel project going... the DT360 didn't sell, so I've got it squirreled away for a possible swap in the future.
Did you ever get your project started back up? I am local and wanted to pick your brain on what you found useful and not. Hope to save me some time. Thanks

101 - 108 of 108 Posts