Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have made the call. I am going with the 91 f150 ($600) and the 4BT/TH400 (3200 minus scrap as soon as aluminum goes back up). I got it all cut up today. i have it to a point where i can just unbold motor/tranny and pull it out. I have to get the F150 in the shop to get teh 302 and Auto Trans out of it. It has 3.55 gears. I am seriously considering a swap to 3.08's (would that be too much for my reverse?). I want to put the 3200RPM spring in the 4bta, and put a remote filter on it. i will probably blank off the stock fuel pump for a FASS mount in order to accomodate future WVO. I do have a few questions i need help with:

1) I'm not sure about getting the brakes to work due to vacuum issues. The p30 has hydoboost, but it all looks to big to get in the f150. Do i need a vacuum pump and if so where do i get it?

2)The passing gear was disconnected from the TH400 and i'm guessing it okay to hook it back up? That may have been from the gas burner that was in the van before teh 4bt????

3) I'm gonna keep the water intercooler for now and may swap it all over later.

4) Should i put a different fuel pin in the 4bt? I won't pull anything much heavier than a boat!

5) I'm guessing there are some relays in the dash of the gm van that i will need to hook up for the 4bt to work???

6) How important is the front to back tilt on the 4bt?

7) The adapter on the back of the 4bt has an additonal bolt pattern considerably larger than the th400. What other transmissions will bolt to that adapter in an auto or better yet an auto with OD???

Pictures to follow next week i hope.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I have 3,08's in my 94 F150 with a stick and it's not a prob. As for a vacuum pump you can get an electric unit out of a 2000 super duty or Excursion or buy a new one @ 80 bucks

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it a 4 speed transmission? I'll have to research the vacuum pump some more.

I have 3,08's in my 94 F150 with a stick and it's not a prob. As for a vacuum pump you can get an electric unit out of a 2000 super duty or Excursion or buy a new one @ 80 bucks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts