Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will post pics when I find them on my phone. Only got 8000 pics to sort through...

My dad and I built this truck 15 years ago. 4bt was an auxillary engine on a street sweeper. Tuned the injection pump for streetability. We put a NV4500 behind it with a GM output shaft so we could stay with the stock transfer case. Put 3/4 ton axles under the truck (is a half ton suburban). This truck was dedicated to chukar hunting, getting us in the mountains on a sip of fuel, and enough torque to climb any hill at idle. Best fuel economy we have seen in this 7000 lb rig is 23mpg on the highway at 75.

It is geared 3.73 with 32 inch tires. Engine purrs at 75mph. We put a 6bt H1c turbo on it, which supplies good power on the highway, but it is a dog around town, and the egts climbing a grade easily reach 1200F. Truck is nonintercooled at the moment. Currently trying to source the super hx30w.

Current plans are to change out the turbo, install an intercooler, upgrade the injection pump to one with the AFC, as it currently has the "constant load" style pump, and then eventually add some bumper and rack accessories, maybe even put a rhino coat on it.

We never took care of the paint as we love to get nevada pinstriping on it every year. We crash through brush and overgrown willows without a second thought, which makes the hunting experience all the more pleasurable.

More pics and updates to come.

·
Registered
13,090 Posts
Sound like some good plans. On the turbo, whether you use the 44mm standard HX30W or 46mm Super HX30W is sort of your call. The Super will cost you a bit more money but will work well. The 44mm standard is very close in performance and may spool a little quicker. An intercooler is an absolute necessity with either of those. An AFC injection pump would certainly be preferred where you have varying turbo boost levels. On the Super, Benzforce lists it for $625 + $56.43 shipping, Sins4x4 lists it for $1400, hmm, bit of price variance there LOL, DieselTuff has it for $749.99 + $50 shipping, and I'm sure there are many more. You will need a different oil line kit for that turbo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips. Yeah I saw those same companies selling the super hx30. Makes me wonder why the large price discrepancy, I would hope the less expensive ones were reputable. Does Alcaid still sell the super hx30 here? I sent a message, figure will wait for a response.

The pics arent in order, but this is it. Not the cleanest or prettiest but it still turns heads and gets lots of comments. The turbo I verified has the 16cm exhaust housing with large 6bt H1c compressor. Looking forward to something with a little more pep.

We also installed a 4 inch lift during the swap, but the truck rode like crap for many years. After visiting the chiropractor a few years ago from bouncing around in the rig too much, I purchased Deaver leaf springs for the front, and then removed the overload spring from the rear leafs, did a shackle flip to get rid of the blocks, then installed bilstein shocks. Thing is a dream off road now. Worth every penny. We went from granny and first gears off road to 2nd and 3rd. The front springs deaver accidentally made to hold a 6bt, but I figure a large grille guard will help settle them out a bit.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light Rim Automotive design

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Hood Automotive tire

Car Hood Automotive air manifold Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Steering part Automotive design

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
1972 F250 4x4, 78 d60, 3.55, np205, 200hp 4bt nv4500 in progress
176 Posts
Fwiw I found the super 30 turbo from benzforce. Garage sale price on an open box super 30. Had the papers, id plates, matching box#’s, etc. runs well no drama. Business owner Rodney doesn’t know as much about the cummins end of things but can set you up with flanges, adapters, etc. Your dodge 6bt downpipe might mate up to the super 30. For fittings and hydraulics plumbing I ended up using some from Mark at 4btparts.com, (not sure if he’s n business anymore, website has been down), and the local Parker hydraulics shop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Super HX30W showed up today! Bought it from Benzforce, this turbo is legit, and they didnt waste time to get it shipped. Cant wait to get it installed.

I unfortunately bought the wrong oil feed adapter. So, no go tonight. The old turbo never whistled, could never hear it even when it was boosting hard. This super 30 is going to make driving a much more fun experience.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,090 Posts
Yeah, the oil feed kit for the Super HX30W is one of it's differences. Diesel Tuff has the kit for it. You will need an air outlet elbow which is the same as the one on an HX35W. I don't see an intercooler in your photos and that will be an absolute necessity with the turbo. The compressed air coming out of that turbo can exceed 300 deg F. Hot air makes poor power. Compared to the turbo you had this one will boost blazing fast. You have a smaller compressor wheel and the turbine housing is 6 cm2 vs 16 cm2. Going to be a fun project with the turbo in the reversed orientation.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yeah, the oil feed kit for the Super HX30W is one of it's differences. Diesel Tuff has the kit for it. You will need an air outlet elbow which is the same as the one on an HX35W. I don't see an intercooler in your photos and that will be an absolute necessity with the turbo. The compressed air coming out of that turbo can exceed 300 deg F. Hot air makes poor power. Compared to the turbo you had this one will boost blazing fast. You have a smaller compressor wheel and the turbine housing is 6 cm2 vs 16 cm2. Going to be a fun project with the turbo in the reversed orientation.
Hi Char.......if the pump is left stock and not turned up, is an intercooler still a necessity with the super HX30W?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts