Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, long time lurker here.
Little background on the truck.
Started life as a 1993 Dodge Dakota 4x4 3.9 V6 42RH Automatic.
Acquired the truck around senior year of high school and in 2nd year of college I swapped in a mildly built 318 v8 (was a fun engine :D ).
The years progressed and the truck sat in the back ground as I drove and sold 2nd gen ram's. I came across this site and found my new project a few years back. At this time I have had the cummins engine in the truck and running for a few seasons working the bugs out of it and burning off the pesky rubber on the rear tires. Working on a power issue at the moment.

Engine is originally a 1986 75hp 4b that has not had a nice ending to its life. everything inside was RUST!
After a short stay at a machine shop, well and a few green pieces of paper later I had the engine bored .020 over, crank polished, head completely redone and a complete rebuild set plus an injection pump sitting at home. bounce

I removed the 318, 42rh, and gutted the engine bay.

Mocked the engine in place and found the front axle will need to be dropped to clearance an oil pan. I made 2'' drop spacers for the front axle, cut and moved the cross member behind it down to clearance the oil pan and cut out a section to make room for the front drive shaft knuckle.

Mocked the engine into place using the 47rh mounted to the original Dakota transmission mount location to determine the final engine position. I used hydro boost off a 94 ram so I did not have a vacuum pump in the way and was able to reuse the original motor mounts and locations with some slight molding and welding.
Modified the engine oil pan, reused the original transfer case, and all drive line pieces.

Ran the in tank fuel pump through a regulator to drop it down to 15 psi. blocked off the lift pump port on the block. Ran a 94 a/c compressor and lower radiator outlet mount, original Dakota alternator using the ecm to power up the injection pump fuel shut of valve, all gauges, transmission, cruse control and a few other things I cant think of at this time. Using a Dorman vacuum pump off a 99 super duty to run the hvac system and cruse control vaccum servo.

Current engine is set up: 4BT, 366 spring, he351ve (causes low end smoke but 40 psi at 2000 rpm :hillbilly:). Has Colt cam, ported exhaust, 47rh with way to low of a stall, 7x0105 sac injectors. VE pump (still working with for optimum operation)

I am limited on the amount of photos that I can upload, I apologize about that and the click here for more info is not working. I did take alot of pictures of the complete swap as I back yard repaired the cancer and repainted the truck at the same time. If you see anything You want explained let me know I will try and get pictures up or explain a little better.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
An update to the build i was having alot of troubles getting the injectors to clean up on the low end, hard starting when it was below 30 degrees. It would smoke way to much unless you where really careful with the skinny pedal at almost any speed. I ended up replacing the injectors with stock 1988 intercooled 12valve ve pump 9mm tip injectors. Smoke cleared up, boost came up, was able to turn the pump up alot. I think the injectors I got where for the wrong spray pattern degree. Drivability is way up. I am currently getting anywhere between 16 - 22 mpg. I am playing with the idea of removing the fan hub as i have electric fans on my truck and running the belt just for the crank, water pump, alternator and a/c compressor. Also playing with the idea of putting an intercooler and redoing the intake plumbing to clean up the engine bay.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mannn I love what u did! I have so many questions to ask! Currently I’m 19 and have a 93 Dodge Dakota 4x4 v8 well at first it had a v6. Plus a rebuilt transmission it’s automatic. My main question is did the motor mount up with your transmission and if not how did u do it? Second question, is the 4bt better than the 318? By reading this I know it gets better fuel mileage but does it have more torque and speed? Do you have a lift kit on your truck?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Nice. Looks like a fun truck.

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,618 Posts
Mannn I love what u did! I have so many questions to ask! Currently I’m 19 and have a 93 Dodge Dakota 4x4 v8 well at first it had a v6. Plus a rebuilt transmission it’s automatic. My main question is did the motor mount up with your transmission and if not how did u do it? Second question, is the 4bt better than the 318? By reading this I know it gets better fuel mileage but does it have more torque and speed? Do you have a lift kit on your truck?
Fortunately the 42rh will not bolt up the 4BT. If it did the 4bt would spread the internals of the little 42rh all over the ground after the first full throttle run. It's the low end torque of the 4BT that kills lesser transmission. You will need a trans that came from behind a Diesel ie: 46RH, 47RH etc. (He used a 47RH) Only these transmission have the bolt pattern that matches the trans adapter for the Cummins. The auto trans from a V10 will bolt up but the governor shifts at a higher rpm for the gas motor, not compatible for the Diesel.
The 4BT will get about twice the fuel mileage that 318 would providing you have corrected the gearing to match the rpm range of the 4BT.
I would imagine that he did put a lift on the truck as the 4B weights about 250 lbs more than the 318.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts