Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I am in the middle starting my swap. The questions i have are wiring and plumbing. what are you guys using and not using. what wire are you guys using for the shut off solenoid???
what are you guys using for plumbing from the tank to the motor?? soft line or hard line?? who has used the radiator plumbing kit from diesel conversion specialties??

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
>> what wire are you guys using for the shut off solenoid??? The wire, from the ignition switch, to the coil "+" terminal. Verify this this is not a resistance wire and/or that there is no resistor in series. Not a likely problem in a 1993 truck, but something to be aware of when replacing a points distributor.

>> what are you guys using for plumbing from the tank to the motor?? soft line or hard line?? Both. The long runs (fuel and return) are Nylon fuel line. The ends are connected with flexible ("rubber") fuel line. I pay the extra for fuel injection rated hose since I believe it will hold up better to fuel additives and is more resistant to aging.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you char1355 i was thinking about putting a sock strainer in the tank. This is a big help. keeps me from pulling it twice.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
No sock or electric fuel pump in the tank. Ford diesel trucks had a screen type strainer. You might could replace your entire pick up assembly with one from a diesel or just have a straight draw straw on your current one. If you want to get a little fancy, you could even change your instrument cluster to one from a diesel truck from the mid '90s. Would give you a diesel tach and a fuel gauge that says DIESEL. You could keep your other gauges as those clusters were modular.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
char1355 i have the tubing to add the straight tubes to the bottom of the tank. i am going to have the pick up run one way and the return the other. so i keep the return from sending air to the pump. i will not be running a sock filter since you guys said it would cause me a bad day lol. I am very grateful for all the help from you guys. as for the dash i might rip it all out and do a painless 28 circuit later on and make the dash all mechanical. This will be my bug out rig.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
When you make your draw pipe, need to notch it at the bottom so it doesn't suck down on the tank floor and cut off the fuel.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i am going to angle the fuel pick up 45 degrees. and the return at 90 degrees so they have at least 6 inches from tip to tip. thanks for all the help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts