Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 1994 6.5TD K5 Blazer I want to swap a 5.9 CTD into. I'm wondering What I would need? I want to keep the factory 4l80e (built unit down the road?) So I need a adapter and a standalone controller anyone recommend a adapter?

What I know I need so far

2-3" Body lift
Adapter/standalone tcm for 4l80e (does the cummins provide any inputs for the standalone pcm?) also what do I need exactly to adapt the 4l80e case to the 6bt?
upgrade rearend to floating 14 bolt
Cummins or Duramax IC? Any input here?
Wiring (Can the cummins fuel solenoid be wired to factory ignition wiring?)

Feel free to add to my shopping list I'd appreciate it!

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I've got a 1994 6.5TD K5 Blazer I want to swap a 5.9 CTD into. I'm wondering What I would need? I want to keep the factory 4l80e (built unit down the road?) So I need a adapter and a standalone controller anyone recommend a adapter?

What I know I need so far

2-3" Body lift
Adapter/standalone tcm for 4l80e (does the cummins provide any inputs for the standalone pcm?) also what do I need exactly to adapt the 4l80e case to the 6bt?
upgrade rearend to floating 14 bolt
Cummins or Duramax IC? Any input here?
Wiring (Can the cummins fuel solenoid be wired to factory ignition wiring?)

Feel free to add to my shopping list I'd appreciate it!

Needs
You don't need a body lift unless you want one.
Engine adapter ,use the stock P-30 adapter set ,if you don't like the tilt than buy the untilted adapter plate.
Use a 99 P/S IC ,fit way better than dodge and Durasnack .
Use the 6.5 I/P power wire to run the fuel shut off .

Scott

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No body lift? I was told by autoworld any previous truck that was 6.5td needed a body lift for the hood to clear?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Thats's autoworld ,selling something you don't need .The mounts are built right and engine is setting where it need to be .Take a look how they mount the engine ,all the way to the fire wall ,try pulling the rear push rods out no way of removing the head unless you pull the engine .1.Take your time and so so research before you buy there products .2.Look at there customer service not like it use to be and half of the time they won't even help .

Scott

·
Registered
4 Posts
By no means am I an expert, but I suggest using an all mechanical 5.9 instead of one that uses a computer. Doing so will be so much easier to swap. I believe that 1989-1993 are mechanical (don't quote me on that though).

I'm planning on doing a 4bt in a Jeep, so I'm looking for suggestions too.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
89-98 12 valve 5.9 were all mech I/P, only part thst is electric is the fuel shut off and than can be made to be mech as well.

Scott

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thats's autoworld ,selling something you don't need .The mounts are built right and engine is setting where it need to be .Take a look how they mount the engine ,all the way to the fire wall ,try pulling the rear push rods out no way of removing the head unless you pull the engine .1.Take your time and so so research before you buy there products .2.Look at there customer service not like it use to be and half of the time they won't even help .Scott
I appreciate the insight. What mounts would you suggest to make the 5.9 sit right without a body lift? I'd rather not have the motor or trans sit at a tilt... which CTD to 4l80e adapter would you suggest I use?

1 more question... Do you not have to mount the 5.9 against the firewall like autoworld does?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
1.Take a look in the Vendor section ,Tennessee Diesel converions.I sell engine mounts .My mounts set the engine to the front and use the stock GM isolators and have no problem pulling the push rods or head off.

2.If you don't want the tilt than you will need Alex's adapter and he keeps the rest of the P-30 wave ring ,shim,crank spacer.See link below.

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2050

Scott

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm kind of leaning towards 4bt now with the way diesel prices are. If I don't like the power I can always turn the pump up right and add a bigger turbo :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, My engine is seized on the Blazer. What would be some valuable parts I could part out that isn't needed to run the 4bt/6bt??

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also What's it take to make all the factory gauges work?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
scrap is pretty high right now. Might get lunch off that 6.5 turbo.

Tach runs off the alternator, gauges are simple, just hook same wires up. Transmission gets interesting, but not too bad.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts