Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!! I am new to this site! Just wanted to say HI and in need of some suggestions! I have a 1994 Chevy K1500 and i and want to convert her over to diesel. I would love to do a 4bt swap but i am having trouble finding a reasonable priced motor around here. I am going to give another shot at dove bid this month. First off she has a 350 and a NV3500 5spd. I would like to keep the nv3500 at this time but i know she prolly wont hold up too well. The truck will be very gently used tho for a daily driver. I have been looking at some isuzu 4 cyl diesel motors too for the swap which sound cool too but not as bad ass as the cummins. It would be cool to have a cummins in a chevy. Ive read all the threads on here and i dont see any nv3500 going behind the 4bt's. I am looking for some input to which way i should go and to get started. Well... thanks for any input ... All will be appreciated!!

David

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have an '89 Chevy 1500 4x4 with the little five speed, and a 4bt. Has worked great , but I don't stress it too much, and I have fought off the itch to turn it up to keep it together. I say run it until it breaks and save for something better in the mean time, unless you can sell it for enough to do an upgrade.-Nicholas

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool! You have the same idea i have. Do you have any pics of your swap?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm using the stock HM290 Getrag (the trans the NV3500 replaced) in my 1990 K1500. 78000 on the swap with no issues, and the trans had 165000 on it when I did the swap. The NV3500 will be just fine for light to moderate usage.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good to hear that the trans will survive if gently used. Ive got the 350 out, now come the hard part in finding a reasonable 4bt to put in her place. Can't wait till the fun of putting it all together starts!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright... i have been looking at all the threads about trans adapters and i am a bit confused. I am going to intall the NV3500 trans. Should i be looking for a GM auto or man adapter housing. This trans has a external slave cyl. so it looks like an auto adapter would work with a little modifying. What would everyone recommend for the clutch.. i have seen some talk about using a 454 clutch but im not sure the input shaft has the same spline. But i can deal with that when i have everything layed out. Thanks in advance for th input!!

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
The engine adapter are the same and the other parts are different .Need to buy a manual adapter set ,the flwheels are hard to find.

Scott

·
Registered
27 Posts
Dieselfidder- Sorry I didn't reply back sooner, to be completely honest, I forgot I replied to this thread. I do not have any pictures at the moment, I keep forgetting to get any. I did the swap in forty hours trying to make it to a show, so I didn't take the time to take any pictures when i did the swap. -Nicholas

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies!! Here we go.. i got the 350 out of my truck and getting everything all cleaned up for the 4bt im gonna pick up next monday!! I lucked out, i found one that runs good and has a chevy man. adapter and flywheel. Im def pumped up.. should be alot of fun! Ill have some pics of my progress as i go along! Keep the comments commin.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am wondering what motor mounts everyone is using with their 4bt. In the stickys i found the part number for the 89-93 pickups and then early 80's mounts too. Local parts stores didnt have them in stock so i couldnt see which ones i want. Opinions?!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think i figured my out my own answer. I looked up the mounts for the 6b diesel instead for the gas engine. Ill pick those up tomarrow and should have her set for the final fit in the next couple days!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I used the rubber mounts from an '89-'93 Dodge with the Cummins. Bolted right to the gm/4bt mounts, then drilled the frame for the new mounts, after totally removing the mounts for the 350.-Nicholas

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thats exactly what i did too.. slow going but what project isnt! I have a 3" suspension lift but my oil pan still makes contact with the front diff a little bit. Ill be pullin the motor again and modifying the pan to clear.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cool Man... and your in Buffalo too!! Sure wish i had the truck done for our first good snow of the year! Anyway... do you have a lift in your truck? It seem like i have alot more room between my pan and the front diff but it might just be the pic!? So you tilted the trans 4 deg huh? How close does the front drive shaft come to the crossmember? How did you tilt the motor? Custom engine mounts or were you able to shim? Sorry for all the questions but im triing to figure the best way to go forward with mine.. I dont mind the tilt of the motor but i would rather take a little tilt out and not modify my pan. I work 3 14 hr days so i wont be workin on the truck the next couple days so ill have time to debate which way to go!! Thanks for the comment!!!

David

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have a 3" body lift with about 1.5" cranked torsion bars. I made a spacer block to raise the trans 3" and tilt it 4 degrees. The engine sits 3" higher in the frame now than the 350. If you have a suspension lift, it would move the front axle down and give you enough room.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I too have a 3" suspension lift. I think im gonna do some fooling around with getting half the tilt out like you did. Which motor mounts did you use, the dodge gas engine mounts or the 5.9 mounts? I gotta get some pics of my build up here some time!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Finally got the motor in. In the process of putting a new fuel tank, sender, and all new lines and then should be ready to fire her up :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 43 Posts