Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,541 Posts
OK, there were several options but most have become obsolete. You didn't mention which engine you are working with. The 4bt came with a Saginaw power steering pump which can be adapted to the Ford. No major issue there. For vacuum, there have been 4 options. The first was a belt driven pump like on the photo below. That unit has been discontinued for quite some time but they do show up occasionally. The second pump was also belt driven and mounts in the same location. It used the diaphragm style vacuum pump like found on the Ford diesels. See second photo. Although the pump is easy to get, I've never been able to track down the bracket part number and finding one on the used market is like hunting hen's teeth. The third option came on the early Dodge Cummins which is a power steering/vacuum pump combo. That one you don't want. Had a bad reputation for bearing failure and was only in use about 2 years. Next up was the replacement for that one which changed vacuum pumps twice in its life. No failure issues but may have some fitment issues depending on which injection pump you have or what transmission you're using. These were the basic standard setups. Another option would be to change to hydroboost brakes and use an electric vacuum pump for the ac controls. Hydroboost runs off the power steering pump. There are also some heavy duty electric vacuum pumps out there but they aren't cheap. Actually, none of these options would be very cheap.

Attachments

·
Vendor
2,728 Posts
I have several of the belt driven vac pumps. PM if interested. The option I used was the hydroboost system from the stepvan. Compact, steering and brakes combined. In a loaded stepvan will damn near put you through the window.

One more option for vacuum

·
Registered
‘97 F-250 4bt/ M5R2
19 Posts
I have nearly the same truck as yours and used the ps/ vac pump from a 2nd gen Dodge because I had one on hand. Next time, I would use an electric vac and hydro boost the brakes

·
Registered
12,541 Posts
Adventurewagen, if the electric vacuum pumps you tried were under $200 they weren't meant for braking systems. The CVR brand is one of the top choices and they range in the $300 area.

·
Registered
12,541 Posts
Was it for a diesel or gas system? The ones for gas systems are usually just a supplement and not for operating the full braking system. VW used a secondary electric pump in addition to engine vacuum.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts