Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

161 - 180 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
Fits good considering it was not designed for this frame, just have to drill a few new holes. As far as ride and performance, it will be a while yet before it's driving again.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
I planned to get a lot accomplished over my long holiday vacation, enough that I'd have a rolling frame by this time, but things didn't go as planned. When I started bolting on the brackets for the front axle, I noticed some bubbling in the frame finish which lead to discovering that the finish was flaking off in several spots. Further investigation revealed what went wrong. I used a wire wheel originally to prep the frame and in places where the metal wasn't rusted at all the wire wheel actually polished the metal making the surface very smooth and glossy and therefore causing very poor adhesion.

So. I spent my week sanding and grinding the frame back down to bare metal, washing, etching, washing, and painting it again. Making sure to follow all directions from rust bullet this time around.

Instead of having a rolling frame, I am back where I was prior to Christmas. I did manage to make a smidgen of progress though and tore down the D60 front axle yesterday to rebuild it. Here's a few pics...

Back to bare metal again...

Etching the metal with acid...

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
Good news, I am done backtracking with the frame and started making forward progress again. Front axle and all of its parts were stripped and painted this past weekend and I'll be starting assembly next.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Weather has been horrible this past weekend, and with the NFL playoffs in full force both days I chose to take her easy but I did spend a couple of hours getting the front suspension mocked up. Glad I did because I discovered I am missing a 3/4" drill bit that I need to finish the job, so I have that on order.

·
Registered
11,224 Posts
Yeah, you do have to take a break every once in a while, but when you're on a roll it's hard to stop. I really like your rotational setup for the frame.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Thanks! It's simple and works great. I stole the idea from another build thread I was reading on a Ford forum. I think I'm going to keep it on there till the wheels are ready to go on.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
I've started to re-assemble my D60, but have been stuck for a couple of weeks now thanks to the inner axle seals. When I pulled the carrier out, I saw that it already had the new SD style seals so I thought I was golden, ordered up a pair from Rock Auto and went to install them, only to destroy them both. $60 in seals down the drain. Did more research and discovered the issue, the lip on the inner part of the seal wasn't allowing it to seat deep enough. Since I refused to pay O'Reilly $50 PER SEAL, I had to order a couple from Rock Auto and wait another week, but I finally got them in.

Next - I realized that axle / axle tube dust seal is a horrible design, and hard to find even online. After ordering the wrong seals once, I came across these neat little seals that are inserted into the tube. Should be here on Monday so I'll take some pics of that install as well. Meanwhile, I pulled the Sterling rear off my parts truck and have started stripping it down.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
Tube seals showed up yesterday so I popped them in real quick so that the silicone will have plenty of time to set before I assemble the axle this weekend. These are pretty slick and will obviously do a much better job keeping junk out of the axle tube compared to the OEM design.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
It was mid 70's Saturday and when you get weather like that in February in Missouri you gotta take advantage of it. So I spent the day pulling all remaining usable parts off my donor F250 and chopping it up for the scrap yard. I still need to finish off the small section of frame, but all in all it went well. Even got the bed and seats sold and picked up Sunday.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
Sunday temps were down into the 50's so I was moving slow again, but I did make a bit of progress and finally started assembly on the front axle. Still need to tq the balljoints, install hub, brakes, and fill it with fluid.

I also got a good chunk of the suspension and body brackets all bolted back up to the frame with new hardware. There's still a couple of pieces that I need to blast and paint, but they are minor.

PS. Shout out to Broncoair for the sweet adjustable shackle flip brackets.

·
Registered
11,224 Posts
She's looking great. So nice to have a nice, clean frame to work with. Those 70+ deg days come in handy. Actually 50 isn't terrible as long as the wind isn't blowing. The politician keep arguing over global warming. When I was younger, you'd rarely find a day in January or February much above 40. Now we're not having many days below 40. Next week we're supposed to have several days in the 70's. Weird weather.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
Weird indeed, but I won't complain about the 70 degree days in February while I'm working on this thing. Supposed to be the same again this weekend.

·
Registered
11,224 Posts
No complaints here either. My furnace doesn't run as much in the not so cold weather and I can get out of the house to do more stuff outside.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #180 (Edited)
can i ask what part number your flywheel is and does it use a ford or dodge starter? im doin pretty much the same set up in a 78 f250 cc sb
I am assuming you mean the flywheel I used with the small block ZF5 and 4BT setup? If so it's in this pic, the number is hard to read so I'll let you take a stab at it. I am not sure what the starter was. The entire setup adapter, starter, spacer, and flywheel were straight out of a 4BT powered bread truck with a T19 so it all went together with the ZF5 without a hitch.

Now with the adapter I have for the 6BT and powerstroke ZF5 I am going to have to do some hunting when I get there. I don't know who made the adapter so I am not sure what flywheel or starter I will need.

161 - 180 of 186 Posts