Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m new here so hello everyone! Now I’m going to get straight to the point.

I want to swap a 4bt in my 94 Pathfinder, obviously the first thing I'm going to do is a Jeep Wagoneer D44 SAS with a Tacoma 3 link to hold the weight up front.

But after that I really don't know. The problem that I'm having is I need to know what manual tranny I can fit in there that will bolt up to the motor. I think a jeep NSG370 would work with some modification but I'm not sure. I also need to know what kind of transfer case I need to use with what transmission. Then if I'm not mistaken I can take it to a driveline shop and have them do the U joints right? Because I'm also not sure on what ones will match up, and the spline count ect. Also I would like to keep the AC if I can is this possible? I can fabricate just about and mount I would need so that doen't matter... I just want to know if it will work.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me =]

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
i have never seen any 4bt-powered pathfinder, but have seen some nissan/ud engines from 3.0L to 3.5L that are almost plug n' play... about manual transmissions, either the zf s5-42 (not sure about the bolt pattern) or the nv4500 are good options...

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
the zf s5-42 had been used in the f350, and some aftermarket adaptor plates are avaliable to bolt it to the 4bt... since it's the same transmission used in the 4bt-powered versions of the f350 and f550 for a few foreign markets it could be a good option...

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I think I'll go with the nv4500 before I go with the ford. But I'm curious to know if the jeep tranny will fit or has a kit that will work with the 4bt.
i don't know the jeep tranny you're talking about, but an nv4500 will be a good option and with the technical resources already avaliable...

·
Vendor
730 Posts
Depending on the jeep transmission some are the same ones used in toyotas. so advanced adapters would have an adapter to mate the jeep to chevy then use the chevy 4BT adapter if you wanted to go that way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I'll take the reliability of the nv4500. No offence, I just like the NV series. I'm in a college auto body class right now that is held in my local high school’s auto shop, The kids are building a custom Jeep Cherokee that has a Chevy 350, turbo 400, and a custom D44 SAS (or atleast I think it is a d44). It has some super swamper TSL's on it and looks sick! I'm using some of their designs that they used in their 3 link for my pathy. If my new job goes through you can expect to see some pics and my buildup real soon!

In the meantime here is a few pics of it that I snapped with my phone of the Jeep...

Attachments

·
Vendor
730 Posts
no offence taken i used a getrag 360 in my Tacoma, i got off eBay with all the adapters, i only mentioned the jeep/Toyota to reference there’s pretty much endless possibilities.. nice pics btw :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have heard mixed things about the getrag but thats mated to a 6bt, I think it would probably be good for a 4bt though. Yeah as they say if you have the time and money anything is possible! But I'd like to keep this a low budget as possible build. Yeah I think that those links that the kids build in their welding class are pretty beefy haha! I like how the're doing it though. Like I said I'm going to try and use some of their designs in my three link. I'm just trying to figure everything out so that I don't have to make everything from scratch like they did! =P

·
Registered
2 Posts
So did this work out? Or was it a bust? Thinking about doing the same thing with a rig for off-road/overlanding and it being sas’d. If it’s a bust imma have to figure out something else to power it where I have the power I need/want to do what I want. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
12,527 Posts
Most transmissions have a few flaws when mating up to a diesel. The NV4500 is basically a NP435 with an OD gear unit added onto the back. It's flaws tend to be gear ratios that are not ideal for a diesel and a nut on the output shaft that works loose. That last issue can mostly be cured with an updated output shaft. The Ford ZF transmissions are probably superior but have some flaws too. For a 4bt the ZF S5-42 or S5-47 are good. The main issue is the ones that came behind the SB Ford which easily mates to the 4bt has a very low 1st gear and in internal slave release bearing. Both those are not the greatest. The best option is the transmisions that came behind the 7.3 diesels, however, those are more expensive to adapt. The Ford/Mazda M5OD-R2 is a good transmission. Comes in SB Ford pattern so it mounts easily, has excellent gear ratios for the diesel. It's main draw backs are the internal slave release bearing and being somewhat weaker. If treated normally, they hold up well. Abuse it and it will die. Member Eggman used one for years in his F250 4x4 which weighs over 8000 lbs and towed about an equal amount. The transmission was probably being stressed many times its rated capacity before it finally gave up the ghost.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Thinking about doing the same thing with a rig for off-road/overlanding and it being sas’d. If it’s a bust imma have to figure out something else to power it where I have the power I need/want to do what I want.
maybe you could also consider the newer r2.8 crate engine

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.