Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Bought a 1995 Chevy TiltMaster Box Truck! For dirt Cheap!

Because the Flywheel Broke in Half! Going down the freeway! And when it broke it damaged the torque converter and something was stuck in the Back of the ( Crankshaft ) so the guy Drilled it Out! ???

Was this a No No ? Because I have a New ( Used ) Flywheel, the Transmission is Still Good and I was Gonna Just Buy a new torque converter! And Bolt it all Back together! Will this work or did ( Drilling the Back of the Crank F-Me! ) if it did what should I do as I really Need this Small Miracle Called a Box truck! to Start my Business!

I figured at Worst I could Raise the Motor! Drop the Oil Pan and install a New ( Used Crank ) ,Crank Bearings , Rear Main Seal and new Oil Pan Gasket! And if the Oil pump is accessible Replace it!

I am Posting a few pictures of the Back of the engine and I really need Help! Sorry if thid id the wrong Subject or Posting Area! This is my first time here on this Site!

Ps

I also have a Full Size 1993 Blazer and have a possible deal on a Rolled 2004 Duramax Diesel! I'm wondering if this Conversion Would Fly! Or Would it Twist my Frame in Half From Torque! ( sorry Didn't want to waste a thread because I'm still trying to Negotiate a Deal )
20200306_121229_HDR.jpg
20200306_121148.jpg
20200306_121138_Burst01.jpg
20200306_121023.jpg
20200309_190853_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't see what was drilled?

Ed in CO
The whole in the center of the crank! If you look close the whole is egg Shaped now and Part because it Feels Like it's still Something in there! Also that whole is Threaded ???? Do you Know what Goes on the Whole ???? Thanks for Your Reply!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think that center piece is a support spacer/extension for the torque converter snout. I had to remove the one in my engine to install the pilot bearing since I run a manual trans...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that center piece is a support spacer/extension for the torque converter snout. I had to remove the one in my engine to install the pilot bearing since I run a manual trans...
Ok are you saying the Tailbpiece itself ??? Or the Thing thats in the whole thats looking stuck in there ? I'm so lost I never had a Diesel Engine and I need this one to work for as Cheap as Possible!

Can I remove the piece here or is it Truly the Back of the Crank ???

If the Center Hole is Just like a Guide Hole! Can I just put the New Torque Converter and Flywheel and Button it all Back together ????

Please Advise!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yes, I'm referring to the piece with the hole in it. Since you will be running an auto, you'll want to keep that piece inside the crank.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I'm referring to the piece with the hole in it. Since you will be running an auto, you'll want to keep that piece inside the crank.
Can I change the tail piece or ? Its been drilled if you look close its now wobbly looking instead of totally round

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
If he's changing to an automatic, would there be any reason to worry about that pilot hole. Does the torque converter even touch that area? That part that is damaged is a removable piece. Below is a photo of the crankshaft. Probably need a puller of some type to remove the part. That is referred to as a pilot bearing. There was also a pilot sleeve used with the manual transmission. That part probably isn't too expensive. I found a diagram but didn't have the part number but it's just a bearing that you can source from a lot of places.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If he's changing to an automatic, would there be any reason to worry about that pilot hole. Does the torque converter even touch that area? That part that is damaged is a removable piece. Below is a photo of the crankshaft. Probably need a puller of some type to remove the part. That is referred to as a pilot bearing. There was also a pilot sleeve used with the manual transmission. That part probably isn't too expensive. I found a diagram but didn't have the part number but it's just a bearing that you can source from a lot of places.
Ok now we getting somewhere as yesterday about the 15th shop I went to was a husky- international - isuzu Dealer with a Parts and Service Department! The Service Mechanics Wouldn't help but I met a Dude name Brian and he New the Truck and the Situation! He told me a Guy came in a few Months ago asking the Same stuff about the same or a same 95 Tiltmaster so I just kept listening and he went on to tell that the initial story was the Transmission Blew on the Truck ( Original Problem ) and the Guy had one of those ( in the Parts guy Brian's Words ) BACK YARD MECHANICS put a New Transmission in the Truck! But when he Bolted the Flywheel/FlexPlate together he didn't Torque the Bolts and Couple Weeks Later it All Blew apart! Cracked the Flywheel/FlexPlate in half and Tire the Nose off the Torque Converter!

The Owner Lost interest in the Truck and it got a Bunch of tickets and eventually Got Towed and found its way to Auction! Where the Guy or I Should have made Clear I considered him a friend as he has been cutting my hair for About 20 years! ( but he Also buys and Sells RV and Box Trucks from the Auction here in Seattle!

He bought it for $400 from Auction! Drilled what he thought was I Don't Know What out if the Back of the Crank and Between his Projects , Buying More trucks and RV's from the Auction and Cutting Hair! Just Lost interest and Cut Ties! For $300

Now I fell Way better Knowing More history of the situation!

Any way Brian at Parts Gave me a Diagram of the Parts and told me that the part that goes in the back of the Crank is called the ( Converter Pilot Sleeve ) he gave Part Number 8944551010 and said thats Most likely what's still stuck in there ? And if I can get the rest of what's in there out and the New Converter Pilot Sleeve! Goes in then I Should be Able to Put Everything Back together! ( Must Follow Factory Torque Specifications ) Bolt the Drive-line up! And Fire it Up!

I'm Add the Print Off he Gave me! The bottom Diagram is for an Auto Transmission the Top is Manual! The Converter Pilot Sleeve is Bottom Diagram #52 and is you Look to the Left! The Point to the Crankshaft!

Also gonna Include Pics of the Broken Torque Converter! And You can see the Nose is Totally Gone!

If there is Anyone that thinks there is Something else that maybe in the hole or thinks the hole doesn't Matter or even Thinks the New Torque Converter wont use the Hole! Please Advise!

Picture #3 = Broken Torque Converter!

Picture #4-#5 = ???? I'm not sure what it is ? Maybe from of Converter ? Or Adapter Plate not Sure! Please Advise! as it Does Not Look Anything like Pics in my Original Post!

Thanks for All the Help!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Ok now we getting somewhere as yesterday about the 15th shop I went to was a husky- international - isuzu Dealer with a Parts and Service Department! The Service Mechanics Wouldn't help but I met a Dude name Brian and he New the Truck and the Situation! He told me a Guy came in a few Months ago asking the Same stuff about the same or a same 95 Tiltmaster so I just kept listening and he went on to tell that the initial story was the Transmission Blew on the Truck ( Original Problem ) and the Guy had one of those ( in the Parts guy Brian's Words ) BACK YARD MECHANICS put a New Transmission in the Truck! But when he Bolted the Flywheel/FlexPlate together he didn't Torque the Bolts and Couple Weeks Later it All Blew apart! Cracked the Flywheel/FlexPlate in half and Tire the Nose off the Torque Converter!

The Owner Lost interest in the Truck and it got a Bunch of tickets and eventually Got Towed and found its way to Auction! Where the Guy or I Should have made Clear I considered him a friend as he has been cutting my hair for About 20 years! ( but he Also buys and Sells RV and Box Trucks from the Auction here in Seattle!

He bought it for $400 from Auction! Drilled what he thought was I Don't Know What out if the Back of the Crank and Between his Projects , Buying More trucks and RV's from the Auction and Cutting Hair! Just Lost interest and Cut Ties! For $300

Any way Brian at Parts Gave me a Diagram of the Parts and told me that the part that goes in the back of the Crank is called the ( Converter Pilot Sleeve ) he gave Part Number 8944551010 and said thats Most likely what's still stuck in there ? And if I can get the rest of what's in there out and the New Converter Pilot Sleeve! Goes in then I Should be Able to Put Everything Back together! ( Must Follow Factory Torque Specifications ) Bolt the Drive-line up! And Fire it Up!

I'm Add the Print Off he Gave me! The bottom Diagram is for an Auto Transmission the Top is Manual! The Converter Pilot Sleeve is Bottom Diagram #52 and is you Look to the Left! The Point to the Crankshaft!

Also gonna Include Pics of the Broken Torque Converter! And You can see the Nose is Totally Gone!

If there is Anyone that thinks there is Something else that maybe in the hole or thinks the hole doesn't Matter or even Thinks the New Torque Converter wont use the Hole! Please Advise!

Picture #4-#5 = ???? I'm not sure what it is ? Maybe from of Converter ? Or Adapter Plate not Sure! Please Advise! as it Does Not Look Anything like Pics in my Original Post!

Thanks for All the Help!
the part with the drilled hole is the torque converter pilot. the part it is stuck in is bolted to the crankshaft with the flex plate bolts. their heads are ground down. you may have to drill them a little to be able to remove the adapter. after you drill/grind the bolt heads down to the bolt shank diameter, SMACK the adapter sideways (the part sticking out with the broken torque converter pilot) with a BIG hammer. the adapter has a 1/4" recess in the back and is a tap fit on the back of the crankshaft. do NOT drill the bolts too deep so you will be able to use Vice-grip pliers to remove them from the crank shaft after you remove the adapter. with the adapter removed, you should be able to put it in a vise and knock out the T/C pilot with a drift punch and hammer from the crankshaft side. hope this helps. let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I didn't remove the adapter when I took out mine. Used a threaded bolt as I mentioned in the linked thread. Others have been successful with the "grease" method also discussed there. Seems like you have a few options. Good luck as well!

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
I didn't remove the adapter when I took out mine. Used a threaded bolt as I mentioned in the linked thread. Others have been successful with the "grease" method also discussed there. Seems like you have a few options. Good luck as well!
he needs to remove the adapter to be able to replace the flywheel / flex plate bolts.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok I'm super Super confused k I'm gonna load pics again and point red Arrows and add numbers then Post Questions to Match the Numbers! I Dont want to drill the wrong thing and Kill my Dream! Or at least my Wallet! Thanks for all the Responses!

1= It Looks like there is a small gap at the end of my Arrow ? Is this what Comes Out!

2= this is where my friend Drilled! Was or is this where the Converter Pilot Sleeve goes ??? If so are the Pressed in ??? Also when I put my finger in the whole it feels like it Was Threaded ??? Was it ??? If so was it a thread to Guide or Seat the Special tool used to Pull the Converter Pilot Sleeve ??? Also what is this Piece Called or what is the Part # ?

3= does this Part have bolt Holes ? ( I See to Guide Pin Holes! ) is this the Back of the Crank ??? Because it sure Looks Like it! .? ( Minus the Shaft seen in this Picture!

Also tomorrow I'm gonna put the flywheel/FlexPlate and some Hot Batteries! And try to Fire her Up! Because I dont want to do all the fixing to find the Motor is Knocking or not running Good! Is this Safe for me to Do ?????

Thanks to All

Please Advise!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,728 Posts

Thanks for All the Help!
Sounds like you're sorted then. Drill/weld/thread/pull whatever to get that munched up adapter out and then decide what transmission you're going to use. If it's the stock transmission then buy the above pilot adapter and bang in a new good one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds like you're sorted then. Drill/weld/thread/pull whatever to get that munched up adapter out and then decide what transmission you're going to use. If it's the stock transmission then buy the above pilot adapter and bang in a new good one.
Ok so using the diagram I Made what Number is the thing I Need to Bang Out! ??? And just to Clarify the Piece in the Middle that was Drilled Needs to Come Out ? Is that the Converter Pilot Sleeve! Or is it some other Piece of Adapter and then the Converter Pilot Sleeve Goes in the Middle ? Thanks for the Help! My other Question is Can I Put the Flywheel/FlexPlate on and Start the Engine so i can make sure it even Runs before Hunting Down a Torque Converter and all the Other bits and Pieces ?

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
I think some of the others have been confusing the issue here. The later photo you posted showed the twisted up adapter in the center and all the bolts sheared off in the crank. Those bolts have been removed. What's left is just the remains of that center pilot piece which is part #52 in the diagram you posted. Always good to have a factory diagram to know what you're working with. There appears to be another part #37 in this puzzle but that one isn't there anymore. Now, as to how to get that part out of the crank I'm not so sure. I assume it isn't loose. Might possibly tap it where you could screw a bolt into that center hole. Take the bolt and remove about 1/2" of the threads on the end and screw it into the hole. When the unthreaded tip contacts the crank it will act like a screw jack and push that part out. Others may have ideas as to how to get it out but the screw method won't require heating anything. If you're going back automatic, you'll of course need to replace that part. Be sure to put some anti seize compound on the part when you install it just in case.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The whole in the center of the crank! If you look close the whole is egg Shaped now and Part because it Feels Like it's still Something in there! Also that whole is Threaded ???? Do you Know what Goes on the Whole ???? Thanks for Your Reply!
That is not a 4bt. The 4bd2 is an isuzu 3.9l engine. The center hole in question is suppose hold a pilot bushing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think some of the others have been confusing the issue here. The later photo you posted showed the twisted up adapter in the center and all the bolts sheared off in the crank. Those bolts have been removed. What's left is just the remains of that center pilot piece which is part #52 in the diagram you posted. Always good to have a factory diagram to know what you're working with. There appears to be another part #37 in this puzzle but that one isn't there anymore. Now, as to how to get that part out of the crank I'm not so sure. I assume it isn't loose. Might possibly tap it where you could screw a bolt into that center hole. Take the bolt and remove about 1/2" of the threads on the end and screw it into the hole. When the unthreaded tip contacts the crank it will act like a screw jack and push that part out. Others may have ideas as to how to get it out but the screw method won't require heating anything. If you're going back automatic, you'll of course need to replace that part. Be sure to put some anti seize compound on the part when you install it just in case.
Sorry for the confusion! But your 1000% right all I need is that Piece that's stuck Out! The crank Bolt Holes are in Perfect Shape! And I have the New Converter Pilot Sleeve on the Way! And Thanks for the Advise about using the Anti Seize compound as I'm Sure that what's Going On Now! Its Stuck/Seized. Now what do think about Freezing it Really Cold and Taking a Plumbers Wrench and Trying to Turn it and Wiggle it Out

·
Registered
3 Posts
The 4bd2 is an isuzu 3.9l engine, not 4bt. However the center hole in question is supposed to hold a pilot bushing. The automatic and manual trans use a different bushing, but the crankshaft is the same. I cant see yhat much detail but thought it looked like some bushing left in the hole
Ok I'm super Super confused k I'm gonna load pics again and point red Arrows and add numbers then Post Questions to Match the Numbers! I Dont want to drill the wrong thing and Kill my Dream! Or at least my Wallet! Thanks for all the Responses!

1= It Looks like there is a small gap at the end of my Arrow ? Is this what Comes Out!

2= this is where my friend Drilled! Was or is this where the Converter Pilot Sleeve goes ??? If so are the Pressed in ??? Also when I put my finger in the whole it feels like it Was Threaded ??? Was it ??? If so was it a thread to Guide or Seat the Special tool used to Pull the Converter Pilot Sleeve ??? Also what is this Piece Called or what is the Part # ?

3= does this Part have bolt Holes ? ( I See to Guide Pin Holes! ) is this the Back of the Crank ??? Because it sure Looks Like it! .? ( Minus the Shaft seen in this Picture!

Also tomorrow I'm gonna put the flywheel/FlexPlate and some Hot Batteries! And try to Fire her Up! Because I dont want to do all the fixing to find the Motor is Knocking or not running Good! Is this Safe for me to Do ?????

Thanks to All

Please Advise!
maybe this will help.

3F7B7572-0D24-49C0-8CB7-0EAEA1D7CBC7.jpeg

1 - 20 of 70 Posts