Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm selling my B3.3 Explorer. I now live 1/2 mile from where I work so I don't need to drive much and since I'm in grad school I'm not exactly rolling in dough. I've collected enough data from the project to prove to me it's a feasible and economical venture. I'll still be writing a report once I get it all sorted out. I just installed an electric fan which is only necessary when sitting for long periods in hot weather. The AC is ice cold, engine runs perfectly, newer Optima yellow top, and the best part is it's old enough to be emissions exempt but still has no rot. It only has a few blemishes in the paint and a couple spots of surface rust. The exhaust from the cat back is 3" stainless mandrel bent tubing. The e-brake works, it shifts like a charm with the B&M short throw shifter. It's got power leather seats, pyro, boost, fuel pressure gauges, and an electric aux pump. The header is a custom TIG welded tubular stainless unit. Hydroboost brakes and serpentine belt setup. Ford Mustang alternator. I'm probably forgetting some!

The only problems are these:
- Odometer gear in cluster slips sometimes which will give you a lower than expected mileage.
- It's hard to shift out of 4L (could be remedied by extending the lever on the T-case a little).
- I have the tach wiring/converter box installed but it doesn't read on the factory tach. Could be a simple fix but I'm not concerned enough to figure it out.

Overall it's an awesome truck. There's about 15k on the brand new engine. Always used Shell Rotella and have been using synthetic most of the time. 34 MPG is what you can expect and I'd imagine it's even higher now that the engine is broken in. It will save you roughly $0.07/mile compared to a gas Explorer. Buy it and drive it another 300k!

I'll be taking new pics this weekend when I wash it. Asking $7000; located in MA/NH.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I like! But I already have one...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice exploder, quick question and I appologize it this is cluttering your thread, I am in Ma, I see you are ma/nh line, was this registered in ma and if so, was it difficult. I am in the preliminary stages of swapping a 6bt into my gmc, I am just wondering the logistics of it?

Thanks, and again, dig the truck... BUMP.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The transmission is a Jeep AX-15 5 speed mated with an NP231 T-case. I think they're a perfect fit.

Here are some pics below. I took a lot of time designing mostly everything in Solidworks (3D CAD) before fabricating so nothing was done half-assed. The only thing currently different from these photos is the addition of an electric fan.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Nice install.
Looks like you did an excellent job with the wiring and making it look nice.
It's not all balled up with splice connectors and looking crappy.
That's one of my pet peeves, an install done with crappy wiring, because someone won't take the time to learn how to do it right and clean it up.

If I were looking at a 6 or 7 grand "completed" project, crappy wiring would take it to half price very quickly. :D

Mark.

·
Registered
42 Posts
has anything changed since you listed it last whats the mileage

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
has anything changed since you listed it last whats the mileage
Reading 17.8k miles on the engine right now. As said above, the odometer slips erratically so the actual mileage is slightly higher.

The e-brake stopped working as well as it used to.

I replaced both lower ball joints. This is probably the most common repair needed on Explorers, and they're brand new now.

The CAD cable is a little stiff and could probably be replaced with something a little beefier.

I should also note that the AC clutch is operated manually via a switch inside. The stock controller is disabled. AC still blows cold though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
still for sale also you said problems shifting in 4 low... take the lever off the t-case and spin it over it you may have it on backwards or you need to extend the shift lever on the truck or shorten it id have to see it

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
still for sale also you said problems shifting in 4 low... take the lever off the t-case and spin it over it you may have it on backwards or you need to extend the shift lever on the truck or shorten it id have to see it
The engine is the standard turbo 85hp version.

The shifting linkage is just due to the angle at which the shifter lever sits. I used a Jeep lever and a custom link in between. When you shift into 4L, the linkage becomes nearly straight, so it's hard to get back. Simply taking the link off the T-case and welding in a 1" extension should do the trick just fine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts