Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am interested in putting a 4BT in my 1996 S10 Blazer. I have done a little research on this and found a couple things I need to and may need to do to make this possible.

Need to do:
4BT motor (obviously)
New transmission (NV4500 or NP435)
Beef up suspension

Maybe need to do?
New transfer case
SFA swap
New rear end

I know doing a swap like this will be quite a bit of work, but i feel like it will be a lot of fun for me and my dad. I havent been able to do anything like this with him before so I feel like it would be a great learning/bonding experience for the both of us. Between the two of us I am pretty sure we have the skill set to undertake this project. If anyone has any useful information about anything for a swap like this I would greatly appreciate it.

P.S. I am fairly new to this site so take it easy on me ;)

·
Registered
11,745 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Yes, this will take some work but you are correct that is can be a great father/son project. Looks like you've started studying and planning. That is the #1 secret to a good swap. Read everything you can find and learn what other people's problems were with a similar swap. The NP435 is a great transmission but has no OD. Unless you plan on some really big tires I'd stay with one of the 5 speeds. The NV4500 (Dodge version) or the ZF S5-42 (SB Ford version) seem to be the favorites, mainly because there are factory Cummins engine transmission adapters for either. Transfer case will sort of depend on which front axle you run. I'd say the items in your maybe list will move to the need list. These engines are dramatically differnt from gas units in that their torque is full on at 1800 rpm. Also must remember these things weigh more than a cast iron 454 big block. Hope to see your project in the near future.

·
Registered
18 Posts
hi i am doin a swap in a 97 s10 zr2 ive got the 4bt and im trying to keep the rest as stock as possible like keeping the stock front and rear axles and the nv3500 5 speed so far im on the motor mounts everything els is ready exsept the a/c trying to use the compressor off the 4.3 but aint figerd that part out yet and does anybody here know how to hook up the rpms to the stock gauge? and do i have to use bigger fuel lines?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts