Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a helicopter mechanic by trade and know almost nothing about ground vehicles, so please bear with me on some of this stuff. I'm trying to learn as I go. My plan is to put a '96 4BT into my '78 Bronco. I bought the 4BT with an Eaton 5 speed but wanted to put an NV4500 on it instead (my brother said if I want to have an overdrive, I should go with the NV4500). I've ordered up a Dodge NV4500 4x4 4 bolt top with a large input of 1 3/8". I also have in my possession an Advanced Adapters NP205-29SL 29 spline to Ford NP205 adapter. I believe at this point the only thing I need is a bell-housing and clutch kit for the NV4500. Advanced Adapters doesn't sell the bell housings anymore and I don't know of any other providers. I also hope I didn't get the wrong input size on the NV. A little helpful guideance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
The transmission adapter that bolts to the engine is Cummins part #3923045 OR FCA #4874537AB. If your Dodge NV4500 came out of a Dodge truck with a Cummins it should have the correct bellhousing on it. If not any bell housing from a Dodge Cummins NV4500 application will work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The transmission adapter that bolts to the engine is Cummins part #3923045 OR FCA #4874537AB. If your Dodge NV4500 came out of a Dodge truck with a Cummins it should have the correct bellhousing on it. If not any bell housing from a Dodge Cummins NV4500 application will work.
Thank you! Like I said, all of this is new to me so I appreciate all the info provided. I bought the NV4500 from High Gear LLC out of Memphis, TN and they didn't sell it with the bellhousing. That's what started this problem in the first place. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
What Eaton 5 speed do you have, should be a tag. If there is an ‘0’ in the MN, it is OD. Many non-OD Eatons can be easily converted to OD by swapping gears. Look in the archives, there has been discussion here about that.

Ed in CO

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What Eaton 5 speed do you have, should be a tag. If there is an ‘0’ in the MN, it is OD. Many non-OD Eatons can be easily converted to OD by swapping gears. Look in the archives, there has been discussion here about that.

Ed in CO

Hi Ed. I went through my pictures and found a pic of my Eaton's data plate. Isn't the Eaton more low geared? As in, more for rock crawling?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
It is a 4 speed Eaton, not sure if it can be converted to OD(FSO) would indicate OD. Later 5 speed ones can be converted. Might be worth your while if the flywheel, clutch, trans adapter are there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is a 4 speed Eaton, not sure if it can be converted to OD(FSO) would indicate OD. Later 5 speed ones can be converted. Might be worth your while if the flywheel, clutch, trans adapter are there.
I did some research on the Eaton and it is a 5 speed. I won’t be using it though since it is way to low geared for what I need.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What was the cost here, motor and all? How cost-effectively can this be done?
The bronco I got for free from my brother (he owed me lol). The 4BT I got off of eBay for $3500. I asked for a few things like the ”p” fuel pump and the transmission that made the price a little higher. I plan on selling the automatic transmission and 351M engine that came in the bronco to, hopefully, offset the cost a bit. When it’s all said and done, this setup will be a lot cheaper than buying some new clean diesel setup in a brand new $40,000+ truck.

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
The NV4500 would not have come standard with the 1-3./8" input shaft. Cummins units came with 1-1/4" but the NV5600 came in 1-3/8" which can be used as an upgrade on the NV4500. Someone probably had changed that one. If your engine came with the Eaton 5 speed I believe the flywheel housing is SAE2. Quick Draw brand offers a NV4500 to SAE2 bellhousing for around $550. Here's a link. SAE 2 to NV4500 transmission Bellhousing adapter for most industrial diesels | eBay You'd just need to match up a clutch disc to your transmission. Not sure what size the Eaton had.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The NV4500 would not have come standard with the 1-3./8" input shaft. Cummins units came with 1-1/4" but the NV5600 came in 1-3/8" which can be used as an upgrade on the NV4500. Someone probably had changed that one. If your engine came with the Eaton 5 speed I believe the flywheel housing is SAE2. Quick Draw brand offers a NV4500 to SAE2 bellhousing for around $550. Here's a link. SAE 2 to NV4500 transmission Bellhousing adapter for most industrial diesels | eBay You'd just need to match up a clutch disc to your transmission. Not sure what size the Eaton had.
Do I use a stock 5.9 Cummins-to-NV4500 throw out bearing? I bought that SAE2 bellhousing adapter and it only came with the adapter and clutch fork. My brother took a look at everything (he was a diesel mechanic in the Army) and said that the clutch fork that came with the adapter was the strangest clutch fork he’s ever seen. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
You probably need to contact Quick Draw and give them the info as to transmission and engine. You'll need to be sure the SAE2 flywheel pilot matches your transmission as well. They should be able to help you sort out what you'll need for that 1-3/8" shaft. May be the stock bearing from a Dodge NV5600 but I won't say.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You probably need to contact Quick Draw and give them the info as to transmission and engine. You'll need to be sure the SAE2 flywheel pilot matches your transmission as well. They should be able to help you sort out what you'll need for that 1-3/8" shaft. May be the stock bearing from a Dodge NV5600 but I won't say.
I also called up High Gear LLC (the folks I’m getting the NV4500 from) and told them that I’ll probably go with the stock 1 1/4” shaft as opposed to the 1 3/8”. The guy was even going to do the upgrade to the 1 3/8” free of charge. But, if I don’t need it there is no sense in getting it. This is all going to be going into my Bronco and I don’t think I need anything that heavy duty.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts