Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Brand new to the scene of diesel and truck modifications. Hope you guys can give me some help throughout my build.

I plan to swap the current 22RE engine that's in my 1998 Toyota Tacoma with a 4bt/NV4500. I have always wanted to turn my little tacoma into a diesel for as long as I can remember.

I would be very greatful for all the information as well as opinions on the build. I am concerned if it will even work honestly.

Questions I have currently:

• Can this engine fit in the engine bay without cutting the firewall or other surrounding structures?
  • How much lift would I need in order to clear the engine properly?
  • Do I need to upgrade my frame/axles in order to handle the excess weight?
  • Would a 3.3 L cummins be a better alternative?
Anything at all will help guys. Just looking to see if it is worth the possible hassle.

Thanks,

-Colton

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Welcome to 4btswaps.

I am not much help - no Toyota experience. Search the Buildups for Tacoma (Advanced Search in the upper right corner). Some swaps were done in the past.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Im assuming you dont have a 4bt or nv4500 yet? A few questions. Have you already SAS the front? What will you be doing with the truck? DD? weekend toy? Toyota's can be fairly light weight and depending on your goals you may be better with a 3.3 or even a TDi swap.

·
Registered
226 Posts
For something "Jeep" sized instead of "truck" sized, I'd opt for the B3.3 unless you're planning on getting wild anyway. Check out the B3.3 WJ and YJ builds online, and even the couple LCs rocking the B3.3 and QSBs. It fits great in the smaller 1/4 ton sized rigs.

I may have some stuff to help ya. PM me if interested. Good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well I am going to be attacking a build like this as soon as I find a tocoma for the right price I have the 4bt built up and ready to go in my shop

1 - 6 of 6 Posts