Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple weeks ago I was driving at night and I noticed the dashboard lights were Out! So I went to the fuse box and figures out which one and replaced it! So all was good for a week or so and then boom same deal I get out early for a job and No Dash Lighs ? I replace the fuse and I'm good! So then a day or two later and then a day later and finally now every time I insert a fuse it IMMEDIATELY BLOWS ???? Now I'm assuming I have a short or wire touching so I went down the body line under the chassis and tried to figure thing out! But I no electrician so I keep looking I keep looking I'll find a couple broken wires I fix them! And no go so finally I start messing with the tail light I replace the bulb I'll try to put the fuse in again and it works but I get in and I turn the headlight switch and I hear like an electric noise ( like if you were slowly turning your home light switch On! ) and you can kind of hear current! Going threw the Switch! And boom the FUSE POPS AGAIN ? noe I'm back to square One! So ibe figured out that if I Tweak with the Steering Wheel the Fuse will stay ok but since I drive the Truck whatever is Going on keep popping rhe fuse I'm guessing since I have to make turns and or the headlight SWITCH ??? can anyone help me Trouble shoot the Issue or Issues! The shop Near me Wants a $140 an Hour to tell me whats wrong and I rather track it down myself if POSSIBLE.

1998 UD 2300 ( electrical Issues )

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
... I turn the headlight switch and I hear like an electric noise ( like if you were slowly turning your home light switch On! ) and you can kind of hear current! Going threw the Switch! And boom the FUSE POPS AGAIN ? noe I'm back to square One! So ibe figured out that if I Tweak with the Steering Wheel the Fuse will stay ok but since I drive the Truck whatever is Going on keep popping rhe fuse I'm guessing since I have to make turns and or the headlight SWITCH ??? can anyone help me Trouble shoot the Issue or Issues! The shop Near me Wants a $140 an Hour to tell me whats wrong and I rather track it down myself if POSSIBLE.

1998 UD 2300 ( electrical Issues )
I know nothing about UD trucks... But, as a 77 year old retired electrical guy and an automotive hobbyist, id so know some about electrical wiring. A fuse immediately blowing tells me you have a short circuit. Sensitive to the turn signal switch "suggests" that the turn signal switch has failed internally (or an attached wire is shorting to ground).

First some questions (it helps me understand how the turn signal switch is wired):

1. Is the headlight switch on the dash board or on the steering column? This makes a difference on how the problems of how parking lights and directional lights are wired.

2. Are the directional light bulbs separate from the brake light bulbs (i.e. separate red lens and amber lens)?

3. Any chance you have a wiring diagram

Since you mentioned "Tweak with the Steering Wheel", I suspect the the turn signal switch has internally failed and something is shorting to ground (ground in this case is defined as nearby bare metal).

Let's try the cheapest option first. Take the covers off the steering column and look for bare wires to the turn signal switch (also look for wires pinched against metal or sharp metal edges rubbing through the insulation on a wire.

I'll be away from the internet for a few hours, I will check back.

Russ

p.s. The truck in my signature below started as a $1,000 Craigslist truck - I have experience in worn out electrical systems...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know nothing about UD trucks... But, as a 77 year old retired electrical guy and an automotive hobbyist, id so know some about electrical wiring. A fuse immediately blowing tells me you have a short circuit. Sensitive to the turn signal switch "suggests" that the turn signal switch has failed internally (or an attached wire is shorting to ground).

First some questions (it helps me understand how the turn signal switch is wired):

1. Is the headlight switch on the dash board or on the steering column? This makes a difference on how the problems of how parking lights and directional lights are wired.

2. Are the directional light bulbs separate from the brake light bulbs (i.e. separate red lens and amber lens)?

3. Any chance you have a wiring diagram

Since you mentioned "Tweak with the Steering Wheel", I suspect the the turn signal switch has internally failed and something is shorting to ground (ground in this case is defined as nearby bare metal).

Let's try the cheapest option first. Take the covers off the steering column and look for bare wires to the turn signal switch (also look for wires pinched against metal or sharp metal edges rubbing through the insulation on a wire.

I'll be away from the internet for a few hours, I will check back.

Russ

p.s. The truck in my signature below started as a $1,000 Craigslist truck - I have experience in worn out electrical systems...
Hey Russ! First off id like to thank you for even Replying and second for the help. I apologize for the Slow Response! I've just been working and trying to mess with the wiring a bit here and a bit there. Anyway I was on a job Saturday and I was idling and the guy Says hey do you think you could turn off the truck because the Diesel is Killing me! So I replied that ain't Diesel he said well what the He'll is it! And I replied Mo Power Baby! 😁 anyway I Turned the truck off and I went around back ans Noticed one of the Hazard lights was not working ? Its the same one that when I use the right blinker it goes fast as if a bulb is out ? But this time on the dash the two hazard light indicators our still flashing normal ? So I go back and I hit the light a couple times and Nothing happens so I shake the wires going to my trailer hook up and BING IT LIGHTS UP! so I wait a few minutes and it goes Off! I shake the wire again and Nothing ? So I go further down the Harness and shake it and Bing it Lights up again. So I tried to mess with it a bit but on a job I had No time! Anyway I still Believe I have More than One issues because my Park/Tail Light Fuse still Blows as Soon as I Put one in ?

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
You are welcome.

That truck is 23 years old, lots of bad things happen to wiring - especially when trailer light sockets are "spliced" in.

At least 2 things going on.

1. Lights not lighting up until the wires are shaken is usually a bad connection. A partial list:
a. Broken wire
b. Wire spliced by twisting bare wires together.
c. Wire spliced with house type twist connectors.
d. Light fixture not well grounded due to rust

2. Fuses instantly blowing is usually a wire, switch or socket touching a chassis ground. A partial list:
a. Broken wire touching ground
b. A wire passing through a sharp metal hole and the insulation has worn through
c. A wire pinched against a metal surface (happens a lot when body mounts get old and sag.
d. Broken internal parts in a switch or light fixture
e. Lose wires in the trailer connector

In the past, I've had three old pickup trucks that had massive wiring problems to the tail lights and trailer connector. It was easier to install new wires from the cab (steering column) to the tail lights and trailer connector (also installed a new trailer connector)

Start at the tail light and examine the wiring harness (you are looking for broken wires, bare/pinched wires and bad splices) to:
1. Back to the cab
2. Over to the other tail light
3. To the license plate light
4. To the trailer connector

p.s. If you live in an area with rust, sometimes the light fixtures need a separate ground wire.

Russ

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are welcome.

That truck is 23 years old, lots of bad things happen to wiring - especially when trailer light sockets are "spliced" in.

At least 2 things going on.

1. Lights not lighting up until the wires are shaken is usually a bad connection. A partial list:
a. Broken wire
b. Wire spliced by twisting bare wires together.
c. Wire spliced with house type twist connectors.
d. Light fixture not well grounded due to rust

2. Fuses instantly blowing is usually a wire, switch or socket touching a chassis ground. A partial list:
a. Broken wire touching ground
b. A wire passing through a sharp metal hole and the insulation has worn through
c. A wire pinched against a metal surface (happens a lot when body mounts get old and sag.
d. Broken internal parts in a switch or light fixture
e. Lose wires in the trailer connector

In the past, I've had three old pickup trucks that had massive wiring problems to the tail lights and trailer connector. It was easier to install new wires from the cab (steering column) to the tail lights and trailer connector (also installed a new trailer connector)

Start at the tail light and examine the wiring harness (you are looking for broken wires, bare/pinched wires and bad splices) to:
1. Back to the cab
2. Over to the other tail light
3. To the license plate light
4. To the trailer connector

p.s. If you live in an area with rust, sometimes the light fixtures need a separate ground wire.

Russ
Thanks Russ! Sorry I'm slow replying but I did what you said I went Straight to the trailer Harness and followed it back and it has Male & Female connectors where they Spliced into the Brake light Harness! And everytime I wiggled it around the right rear blinker/tail light would shut off and on! So I wiggled and wiggled and then Wiggled some more and found a faulty Connection! Where the male & female ends had corroded and were Loose! So after cleaning them and Plugging them back in! I have a solid connection and that Part of my Problem is Solved! Now as far as the Tail/park lights I have nothing I'm still BLACKED OUT! and still have the Problem where everytime insert a Fuse ( ot Blows ) so I'm thinking its something in my Steering Column or like you said the Headlight Switch! I have a ohmm Meter and some other electrical testers! Hoe can I figure things out

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Question?

Is the Tail/Park light switch on the steering column or is it on the dashboard? Messing with electrical stuff in the steering column scares me.

It is a 24 year old truck - I would consider a new switch and all new wiring for the tail and park lights...

Russ

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Question?

Is the Tail/Park light switch on the steering column or is it on the dashboard? Messing with electrical stuff in the steering column scares me.

It is a 24 year old truck - I would consider a new switch and all new wiring for the tail and park lights...

Russ
Yes the switch is on the Steering Column! But the only problem with a UD is the Part is either Super Expensive or a Long Wait! Either way I'm thankful for your help! I'm sorry for the late responding but I'm working like a dog! I'm gonna pull the switch this weekend and see what I can see! I'm hoping the switch has a small Board on it! If it does I'll check the Board! If its bad I would try to repair it! Thanks Russ!

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I think you are going to find broken plastic parts on that switch.

Replacing the switch may NOT fix the blown fuse problem. Some possibilities are:

a. A short in the wiring between the fuse box and the switch (Specifically the wire between the Park/Taillight/Dash fuse and the steering column switch) Carefully look for worn insulation (bare wire) when you have the covers off of the steering column. Wiggling the steering wheel (as you said above) causes fuses to blow. Look extra closely at any point where the wiring harness might get pinched.
b. The wire from the switch to the park/tail lights.
c. The wire from the switch to the dash lights (Probably spliced into the park/taillight wire - buried deep in a wiring harness...).

If that does not work - consider disconnecting the park/tail/dash light wires from the steering column (both fused wire and load wire). Make a simple switch panel and wire in an ON-OFF toggle switch. Crude, but beats $140/hour labor + parts at full list price.

Russ

Reactions: sdwyz74
1 - 9 of 9 Posts