Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have given up my desire to make a 1 ton van my land yacht and am now shopping for a used school bus. bounce I would like to draw on the expertise in this group to help me with the mechanical end. I am looking for a snub nose bus that has a 6bt. Is it possible to find a 2 speed rear end with a highway gear ratio and surface street rear end? economy vs. power? I am guessing that 80% of the mileage will be on the highway. I hope to be able to cruise at at least 65 mph, 70 would be better and get at least 10 mph. As I remodel the bus, I will keep in mind the need to keep it light.

t

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
We have Bluebird buses with 5.9's, Allison 5 speeds, don't need a 2 speed rear with Allison. Can go 70, kind of wrapped up though, could change to higher single speed or fit a 2 speed. Sell frequently for $1,500 to $2,500. 11 by 22.5 tires, lots of room for sleeping, etc. Check your nearest bus barn.

Ed

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks! Do you mean change the speed of the one speed rear end or change the high gear of the Allison? Which model of Allison are you talking about?

I don't know anything about torque converters. Is there a gear ratio involved in the torque converter?

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
If you wanted to use an automatic, probably the best unit would be the Allison MD3060. That one came behind the Cummins 5.9 in motorhomes and medium duty trucks. It came in both 5 speed and 6 speed versions. The six speed had double OD gearing. 9-10 MPG would be very possible. Now if you were a gear shifter, the Eaton 6406 or 8406 would be the ticket. Super strong 6 speed and has a .78 OD. A manual may give a tad better fuel mileage. Not sure how the shifter location would be in a stub nosed bus.

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
Ed, is a CDL required for RV's? I would think some of the ones made from the full sized bus chassis like Prevost might be above it. Some of those weigh in at 31000 lbs wet and a GV weight of 55000 lbs. Of course if you could afford one of those you can probably hire a driver.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Our 5.9's also use the Allison 3060. Probably can go higher diff. ratio, there are no mountains in Dakota. I forgot about RV's not needing a CDL, which, by the way, I do not agree with, probably need to get air endorsement, though.

Ed

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
Yeah, Ed, not everyone is adept at driving a 55,000 lb motorhome. I personally wouldn't want to drive one. Same size as a Trailways bus. People who drive buses or semis for a living would have no problem, but the average driver would need a good bit of training to insure their safety and everyone else's. Of course, most of us don't buy million $$$ plus motorhomes. I've seen a few that hit the $2mil mark. My brain doesn't comprehend that kind of money.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts