Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 8 years I'm finally trying to get the cruise control to work in my Dakota with the Cummins ISB170. The Cummins has the analog inputs for the cruise functions and can just be turned on with Insite. That part is easy. The Dakota has the cruise switches in the steering wheel and its a 2 wire output with variable resistances for each function of the switches. I'm looking for a control module that will take those variable resistance values and turn them into switched outputs to run the Cummins cruise.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh boy, something new to learn. :(

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
I'll need to do this with my ISB170 when I build the chassis harness for the engine computer. Now's a good time I guess. I'd like to buy a harness if I could. Any ideas where from?

I bought a gadget, a RoadRelay box, for the engine years ago that might enable Cruise? It displays all kinds of engine stats and data. Not sure if it will enable Cruise or not? Obsolete now.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Enabling cruise is just a matter of turning it on with Insite. There are a few settings that you will probably want to change depending on your setup.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Did you make your own chassis side harness? Or did you get it with the engine? Or did you buy it somewhere?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you make your own chassis side harness? Or did you get it with the engine? Or did you buy it somewhere?
I build my own harnesses. After owning an electric vehicle company for 30 years I can usually figure out the wiring stuff. Its that CAN Bus stuff that screws with my brain.

Reactions: Russ McLean

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did your engine come with the engine side of the harness and ECU? Was there nothing plugged into the chassis side of the ECU? Chad Log into Facebook may be able to help with a used harness and connector that you can build off. All you really need is the ECU connector and a couple of feet of the original wire or you can buy the connector and all the pins and build from scratch. I just use the existing harness connector and splice onto that. Be sure to solder and heat shrink all connections. Use the good double wall heat shrink with the sealant in it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts