Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a 2000 F150 4x4 Lariat yesterday for $1300. It is in decent shape and i bought this truck today knowing that the eninge would not start. Previous owner blew engine, purchased one from auto salvage yard, would not start, salvage yard bought it from them. The starter clicks, but no go. I have not checked to see if the crank will turn via the front shaft yet, but plan to do so this afternoon.

When the battery is hooked up, the gauges would all bounce to pegged out status and slowly fall back. The odometer would not light up nor would the interior lights come on. The guy may have something all goofed up as far as wireing. The power seat worked, but nothing with the locks or windows. Any suggestions on that would be great!

I would like to get the engine going before i do the engine swap i plan to do so i can sell it to recoop some cash. I also will sell the tranny, transfer case. I think it is a 4R70W.

I didn't need the 4x4 portion, but it will work for my current project. I plan on putting a 3.9 Cummins (4bt) in the truck. I'll use the TH400 already on my engine. I'll post pics soon. I'm wondering if the current radiator will work?

I'm not going 4x4 due to the expense. It would cost 795 for adapter, 800 for controller, 650 for flexplate, and 120 for starter. I would then need to build the tranny for the torque of the cummins. Just not worth 3 grand to have 4x4. There's no ice in south MS to speak of so 4x4 is not necessary. Pics to follow soon. I'll probably just lift the whole cab off to hook everything up instead of taking the intake off of the 5.4 so i could slip it out.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
IMG_0601.jpg

IMG_0602.jpg

Here's the new ford body that will recieve the 4bt. Trying to decide whether to lift cab or just remove front Cap?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2000 f150 to get the 4bt ONE STEP CLOSER

I've done the checking on the th400 for hwy speeds and that won't happen. I crated the th400 for a young man to put in an older chevy blazer. it will work great for his purposes. I have decided to hoot up to the Ford Tranny. It will be coslty, but I want to do it right. I plan to order parts in about 2 weeks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So does that mean you'll be keeping the 4x4 now?

I'll be watching this thread - another one just started for an Expedition - may be a very similar swap given the body style. I was trying to cross-reference the Expedition post but until I have 10 posts I can't create a link :(

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes i will keep it 4x4

I'll be watching this thread - another one just started for an Expedition - may be a very similar swap given the body style. I was trying to cross-reference the Expedition post but until I have 10 posts I can't create a link :(
I've got to order an adapter plate 750
Flex Plate 565
controller 900
Torque Convertor 250
Motor Mounts 375
starter 130
Total 2970.00

i've got 1300 in the truck and 1600 in motor. It will be a 5000 dollar ride if i'm lucky with all said and done.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes i will keep it 4x4

!!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Not to burst your bubble on the Heritage model F-150, but are you aware of exactly how weak that extended cab is? It looks like a clean enough truck that I bet you could get it running and sell it as is, then pick up either a super cab F-150 or Expedition, even a standard cab. Ford cut the heritage model cab's production short for a reason, the access door design and weak roof structure folded up like tin foil in a head on wreck. Next time you are in a wrecking yard, keep an eye out for the Heritage model ext cabs with front end collisions, you'll understand what I'm referring to.

Another item to consider is, if you don't need 4wd, why bother with the IFS clearance issues? That center section/diff is not a big issue to deal with, but it does make the oil pan a problem depending on where you locate the engine front to back. Type of transmission you choose will determine that though.

I am a big supporter of Ford, so don't think I am just bashing the brand. The Heritage model trucks were one of the worst designs Ford has had in decades.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not to burst your bubble on the Heritage model F-150, but are you aware of exactly how weak that extended cab is? It looks like a clean enough truck that I bet you could get it running and sell it as is, then pick up either a super cab F-150 or Expedition, even a standard cab. Ford cut the heritage model cab's production short for a reason, the access door design and weak roof structure folded up like tin foil in a head on wreck. Next time you are in a wrecking yard, keep an eye out for the Heritage model ext cabs with front end collisions, you'll understand what I'm referring to.

Another item to consider is, if you don't need 4wd, why bother with the IFS clearance issues? That center section/diff is not a big issue to deal with, but it does make the oil pan a problem depending on where you locate the engine front to back. Type of transmission you choose will determine that thoug
I am a big supporter of Ford, so don't think I am just bashing the brand. The Heritage model trucks were one of the worst designs Ford has had in decades.

I watched the videos, read the data and sold the truck. The main reason was the safety issue, but the cost was another big factor.

I bought a 47RH 4x4 to go behind my 6bt which freed up the a518 for the 4bt. I know the a518 is not ideal, but i plan to build it up and put a low stall TC on it. The cost was so much to go with tranny other than dodge. 700 dollar adapters, 600 dollar felxplate, 130 for a starter and 1000 for a contoller. I can build both trannys pretty strong and have money left over from that. I gave 500 for the 47rh with plans to rebuild it anyway. Even if i go with a performance kit at 500 for each tranny, i've out run the cost of the controller. There are pros and cons, but the biggest con is $$$$$.
I can't attach pics as they "EXCEED MY QUOTA"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts