Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

2000 Mazda B3000 TDI Swap

8K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Motohead1 
#1 ·
Howdy folks, thought some of you guys might like to see my personal rig. 2000 Mazda B3000 (Ford ranger with Mazda badge) with a 2004 VW Passat BHW engine with K03/hx30 compounds, 125% over injectors, cam, head studs, and valve springs. Running a 4.0 v6 ranger transmission with TD Conversions adapter kit.

I'm going to seriously investigate swapping to a NSG370/NV241OR combo though as the ford parts just don't have low enough gears for what I use the truck for. If it was a solely a street rig, it would be perfectly fine. But the truck is hooked to a heavy trailer or taken off road a few times a week on average. Current crawl ratio is 32:1 with M5OD/BW1354, with the NSG370/NV241OR it jumps to 72:1. First gear for getting a loaded trailer moving goes from 3.4 to 4.46 which will be much nicer also.

Anyway, here's the build thread from RangerStation. There's just too many pics to try and bring over here to make a new thread. Make sure to view on a desktop/laptop and have photobucket hotlink fix downloaded on your browser to see the early pics before I switched over to flickr.

#3 ·
Thanks! Your best bet for an auto trans is to use a 4L60E with a standalone controller. Any other auto solution wont have OD, will need a TV cable or vacuum source with some rube goldberg engineering and won't give you results you'd be 100% happy with. With a standalone controller, feed it VSS, TPS, and engine RPM and put the shift points wherever they need to be.

#6 · (Edited)
The k03 is fine, but with the BHW pushing a heavy truck, it should probably be one size larger, same with the hx30. A gt2052 and 9cm hy35 is what I would run if I were to do it again. An Alh in a lighter vehicle would probably be fine, the only issue I have is making more boost at cruise than I would really like (20-22psi total at 75mph). Egt's are cool, but I'm sure the extra boost at cruise is not helping pumping efficiency. But on the other hand, the turbo response off road is amazing in current state and I'd call it perfect. So it comes down to what you want to do with the truck and building it to do exactly that.

A stock alh bottom end will only hold about 190whp/300wtq reliably before you compress the stock rods. The bearings aren't the issue. The pistons also aren't hollow behind the ring lands so they don't cool as well as a bhw or pd130/150 piston at high power outputs. If you put a set of rods and used pd130/150 pistons in with head studs, it will be perfectly fine eating 45-50psi all day.

Nice swap! I've been following at Ranger station. I agree on the 6 speed upgrade, on my first Ranger swap I ran the m5r1, now I have a Sport Trac with the same motor, same tune but with a Nissan Frontier 6 speed and the performance is better even weighing @ 1000lbs more! This trans has a 4.36 1st and .77 of, so about the largest overall gear spacing 1st to 6th I could find, Keeps the little motor in it's power band most all the time clear up to 80+ mph. It's a large and robust trans, I believe it is factory behind diesels over sea's.
Thanks! I was trying to get the swap done as quickly as possible so using the oem trans/tcase helped in that department. I knew the gearing was going to be a little taller than I'd like in certain aspects, but I didn't think it was going to be as bad as it is for what I do with the truck. It's not that I can't get a trailer moving from a dead stop, it just requires more clutch and lugging than I'd prefer. The ratios of a nv5600 would be absolutely perfect (5.56 1st, .73 6th), but I'm not about to put a 400lb trans in a ranger haha. The gears in the nissan trans look good and are close to the nsg370, but 4 low is still only ~2.5:1. The 4:1 low range in the rubicon transfer case that bolts right up to the nsg370 seals the deal on that for me.

#5 · (Edited)
Nice swap! I've been following at Ranger station. I agree on the 6 speed upgrade, on my first Ranger swap I ran the m5r1, now I have a Sport Trac with the same motor, same tune but with a Nissan Frontier 6 speed and the performance is better even weighing @ 1000lbs more! This trans has a 4.36 1st and .77 of, so about the largest overall gear spacing 1st to 6th I could find, Keeps the little motor in it's power band most all the time clear up to 80+ mph. It's a large and robust trans, I believe it is factory behind diesels over sea's.

#11 ·
Matt I got compound questions. You said 190HP is the limit for a stock bottom end and I intend to remedy that in the near future but in the interm I have finally got some parts together to copy your compound setup and I want to get the bugs worked out of it before I get a fresh bottom end installed. I have a he200wg 4cm exhaust housing and a good used 9cm hy35. What size external are you running 38mm tial? Also are you manually controlling boost on the HP turbo?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.