Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
11,345 Posts
Also, the "E" means it's electronic and computer controlled. Essentially the same transmission as the RH. You will need an outboard controller for the RE but those are available.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Also, the "E" means it's electronic and computer controlled. Essentially the same transmission as the RH. You will need an outboard controller for the RE but those are available.
That's what I meant, is that controller decent?

·
Registered
11,345 Posts
As far as I know, the controllers are OK. They are aftermarket items and of course they aren't free. Probably around $400-500 depending on brand.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Ok my next question. Just got the 47re and it came with the transfer case. It had the 241dld manual shift on floor. My ranger is electric switch on the dash. So is there a way to convert the TC or do I need to find a 241 with electric shift

Also both the trans and TC came off 2002 2500.

·
Registered
11,345 Posts
Don't believe there was an electric shift option on the NP241 used in the Dodge. I think electric shift started around 2003 with the NV273D transfer case. You might need to get some dimensions because those transfer cases are not small. May not clear your frame on a ranger. Probably a bit longer as well. Also, not sure how your Ford shift system will interface with the NV273D.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Do you think I could maybe get a np/nv273 to work. I believe they come in electric and are driver side drops. Then could I possibly wire with relay to make the stock ranger wiring communicate to the dodge TC?

·
Registered
11,345 Posts
The NV273D is electric shift only. The NV271D was the manual version. There are several versions so you'd need to be sure what you're getting. The NV273D came in a 23 spline input for automatics and 29 spline for manuals. Also came with and without speedometer connection. You'd need to study the wiring setup to know what all is involved there.It's more than just a switch going to the transfer case because those are shift on the fly units. That issue can probably be worked out but the main thing would be if it will physically fit. Below is a photo of one mounted in a full size truck. As you can see there is maybe 1-1.5" clearance to the frame rails. Your truck frame isn't as wide as a full size. You presently have the NV241. Do some measuring to see it it would physically fit. If not then you know the NV273D won't either. In fact it may be wider than the NV241. The Ranger frame measures 32.82" on the outside. A full size Dodge frame is 37.75" and Ford is 37.56". That means your frame is nearly 5" narrower which is going to get awfully tight if not impossible.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'll go measure the 241dld now. I just want an electric shift that will work with my 47re because I don't really want to go buy another transmission...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

It would appear I have plenty of room to adjust with the 241... My only issue is clearance of my center console and putting in the manual shifter...

·
Registered
11,345 Posts
There might be another avenue you may explore. Maybe you could adapt your current BW1354 transfer case to the transmission. Advance Adapters may have a kit to bolt the them together. You'd need to contact them and tell them what transmission and transfer case you want to join. Not sure how much abuse you plan for 4 wheeling. If you could locate a NV273D that you could measure, that would determine if that is a viable option. Need to measure from the center line of the input to the edge of the case. Get the same measurement from the BW1354 which is in place for reference. I was thinking the NP241D is a bit narrower than the NV273D but could be wrong. One thing is the NV273D is a bit longer and could have some effect on drive line angles for your truck. The nice thing about trying to keep the original transfer case would be no need for any electric mods. Below is a diagram showing the shaft center lines for the 241. Haven't found one for the 273 but suspect it's several inches wider. Hard to judge from photos. The 241 only has a 9.56" spacing which is very compact. I'll see if I can find some info on the 273.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Wouldn't the current TC just get destroyed even with 2wd hwy driving? That's gonna be alot more power and torque thrown at it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Also I did email about an adapter from 47re to a bw4406 (this fill fit and hookup to ranger) and they said they couldn't because the 47re output spline.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Alright so I've been doing a lot of searching and reading, but don't have the exact formula down yet. Perhaps someone here will have more insight.

So for the TC, I'll use a nv273 (ford)
I'll swap in the input shaft and seal from my np241 (dodge)
May have to reman some holes to bolt up
But this should allow me to retain the electric shift. I decided ford nv273 due to the ranger being a Ford as well. I'm hoping that means wiring would be less of an issue (still searching diagrams for both)

But this is still assuming it will fit... I haven't been able to get a measurement yet.

·
Registered
11,345 Posts
Sort of curious why you want to use a NV273F instead of the NV273D. Going to take a good bit of mods to mate the Ford to the Dodge transmission. Wrong input shaft and wrong bolt pattern on the case. Also, why did you question using the BW4406. Your truck would have the BW1354. The BW4406 came in F150/250 trucks unless yours has been modified. Your BW1354 is not a weak transfer case. In 1993 the unit was updated to a 6 gear planetary which yours would have. The BW1354 also had the 1310 U joint which is stronger than earlier models which had the 1210. Main issue would be finding an adapter to mate the two. I know Advanced has an adapter for a 23 spline NV4500 to a Ford NP205 which is a 31 spline input. Don't know if that same one would work on the 47RE to BW1354.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I'm just looking for an electric case that will work my ranger electronics. I know a friend of mine on here who did his 2000 ranger (manual) used that case (bw4406) and his was electric and everything worked good on his ranger.

Idc which case I use, so long as I can get the ranger to function 4wd as it does now. I can't really use the floor manual shifter like I really wanted due to the fact I already started the center console with shifter from a 2010 explorer....

·
Registered
11,345 Posts
Have to be careful if you choose the BW4406. There were a lot of versions of that case depending on year and application. Some of the models are computer controlled.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I really wish I could figure this out... My options currently are:

1. Try to adapt to my stock 1354 (most ideal if possible)

2. Convert a 241dld to electric, figure out a shift motor actuator that would work (don't think possible)

3. Adapt and make a 273 ford or dodge work... Ford easier electronics??? And either one, I would have to change the input spline to work with 47re. Does I would have to make new holes to mount.... (Possibly a good option)
Grab a Ford 273, hopefully wiring is easiest, pull apart. Swap a 23spline in, line up. Mark some holes. Make said holes, bolt up with the spline and seal from my 241dld.

4. Somehow get a bw4406 to work with a 47re because shr3dd3r 09 made his work in his ranger

21 - 40 of 54 Posts