Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Also what part numbers do I need for my adapter for 47re tansmission?

I'll need the:
Adapter
Billet flexplate
And starter

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
As for your options, #1 may be possible with the correct adapter. #2 not possible as that unit never had electric shift so no front case with that configuration exists. #3 you may be able to do but it will involve a good bit of work. You will need to replace the the front case as the Dodge and Ford units are completely different. Can't bore new holes. Would be easier to adapt the Ford wiring on your truck to the Dodge shift motor. See photos below. #4 would be the matter of finding an adapter as in #1.

Attachments

·
Registered
629 Posts
This guy used the Ford 273 he only says he swapped the input shaft. I messaged him but haven't heard back yet.
I am currently running a Ford NV271F behind a NV4500 in my 1998 12 valve Dodge QCSB. I swapped the input shaft to a 29 spline NV271D shaft. I also re-drilled the NV4500 tail housing to re-clock the NV271F "upward". I have a cast iron tail housing on my NV4500. You'll need the NV271D 23 spline shaft for the 47RE. Be aware the NV271/273 is HUGE. The NV271 extends into the frame of my Dodge 2500.

I used the NV271F for a few reasons:
*I converted my 2WD Dodge diesel to 4WD, so I didn't have a transfer case. I figured I was starting with a blank sheet and wanted a bullet proof transfer case.
*29 spline Dodge 241DHD transfer case are ridiculously expensive.......if you can find them.
*Ford NV271F transfer cases are more plentiful than the Dodge 271D.
*The used Ford NV271F was about 1/3 the cost of a used Dodge NV271D.
*The Ford NV271F has a flanged output shaft instead of a slip yoke like the Dodge NV271D. I had a local driveline shop build a one-piece drive shaft using the components from my two-piece driveshaft + new Spicer 1410 U-joints and tubing.

IF the NV273F fits inside the frame rails of the Ranger, I say go for it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Well I got a 241dhd transfer case and I can buy a 273f for $100 today... So idk what to do. I can't use the 241dhd because it's manual shift....

·
Registered
629 Posts
Personally, I like simplicity and reliability which for means manual shift transfer case. If it were me, I would use the 241DHD and convert to manual shift. My truck was 2 wheel drive, so I had to cut a hole in the transmission tunnel for the shifter. It was easy. I used the Dodge shifter and my cut-out fits the shifter perfectly. I have a perfect seal with the factory seal/gasket. For a linkage rod, I used the Dodge linkage rod on the shifter end and the Ford linkage bar on the transfer case end. I welded the two together being careful not over heat the Ford bushing. In this photo, I haven't yet pressed-on the linkage bar to the transfercase

Novak makes universal transfer case shifters for the NP231. They should work with the NV241. Novak's staff is knowledgeable and should be able to help.
NV271F Dodge_Ford linkage.jpg

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
That was my plan till I decide to put center console in with shifter.... I did the same in my old f250 but still had room for my 4wd shifter

Heres my 02 7.3 with center shifter mod.

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
Something I just noticed about the NV271/273F is there are 2 different transfer cases. The '99-10 unit looks just like the Dodge but the '10 up units are different. They are like the 2nd photo I posted in post #42. That creature is longer than it is wide. $100 for a 273F would be a steal unless it's totally trashed. There are a couple on ebay in the $300-400 range. Big question would be boring your transmission tail housing to match it. Lot of difference in cast iron and aluminum when it comes to adding more holes. For some reason I suspect that case would be too wide for the Ranger but no proof in that. The 23 spline input shaft will cost about $110 or more depending on brand.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
So I should get it regardless? And I'm going to make some measurements here in a bit. My ranger is still all put together. Haven't tired anything out of it untill I have everything lines up to fit in.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
So I just measured. The input center to DS is 14". Overall inside frame to inside frame is 27" on the ranger.

The guy selling measured
Drive side 17" passenger side 19 3/4"

Totaling 36¾"

So 273 is out, unless the body lift does wonders for clearance....

I spoke to someone at behemoth drivetrain

They have an adapter, but really it's a doubler unit crawl box mod that would work for $999.⁰⁰.... I don't think it's worth that much, considering I just need the adapter portion... I can't seem to find a 23/25 spline adapter anywhere on the web.

·
Registered
629 Posts
If you absolutely must have an electric shift transfer case, then checkout the NP243. It's an electric shift version of the NP241. You'll need one from a 5.9L gas 2002-2003 Dodge Truck with the 46RE transmission. It will have a 23 spline input shaft. The transfer cases that are coupled to the 545RFE 5 speed transmission have a 23 spline input shaft, but the shaft is longer. I suggest you validate an NP243 will bolt up to your 47RE before you buy one. It bolts to a 46RE, so it should bolt to a 47RE, but I haven't actually done this. I have a 1999 47RE in my shop and the back end of it looks like a 46RE, but I don't have a 46RE to compare measurements. I know quite a bit about 231/241 transfercases, a little about 242 & 271 transfer cases, but I have never owned or repaired a NP243.

As an FYI, I know the long 23 spline input shaft in a NP242 (from a 545RFE vehicle) can be replaced with a short 23 spline input shaft. For instance, the 2002-2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee was available with a NP242HD, but only behind the 545RFE. The 23 spline input shaft from a standard duty NP242 from a Jeep Liberty with the 42RE transmission will swap directly into the NP242HD allowing it to be used behind a 46RE or 47RE. My point is swapping parts among NP/NV transfer cases may give you what you need if an off-the-shelf Dodge NP243 doesn't work.

I recently bought a NP242 23 spline short input shaft on eBay used for $36 shipped. It was from a Jeep Liberty and was in excellent condition.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Like I've said before. I would love to make the 241 work with a manual shifter and I might be able to if I can find the skinniest boot and shifter there is to do it.. not much room on the floor with console.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Like I've said before. I would love to make the 241 work with a manual shifter and I might be able to if I can find the skinniest boot and shifter there is to do it.. not much room on the floor with console.
It seems the NP243 requires more than a switch to shift through the modes. It uses a control module.

Did you look at the Novak SK2X shifter? It mounts inside the transmission tunnel. A slotted opening is needed for the handle. You could bend the handle so it comes up straight up through the floor inside the console, then bends over toward the driver through the side of the console then upward next to the console. You would have to cut a horizontal slot or maybe an arc shaped slot in the side of the console. "Included with the #SK2X kit is an easily bendable, mock-up shift cane, allowing the installer to mold and bend it by hand to the proper shape to configure the installation prior to bending the actual steel shift cane."

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Never seen that before. I'm new to this whole swap/ranger/4bt/TC world. But I'm up for anything if I have to be. I just need to figure this part out to continue gathering what I need.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts