Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was researching a diesel to drop into a mid size quad cab I was set on a 4bt but I couldn't find one within my budget so I opted for a Tdi. There is so much great info on this site I wanted to post up this build. So here is a chronicle in pictures.

I wanted a Taco quad but again the budget afforded me a 2001 Dakota with 250K on the clock. Im actually in hind site happy with the Dakota as its just a little bit bigger in some aspects and not much more if any in weight.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire

The donor was a 2002 Tdi bug with 167K on it when it got wrapped into a telephone pole. Nice score at only $700 and it still ran.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Yellow Motorsport
Land vehicle Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Volkswagen new beetle

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In August I started to pull the donor apart. Take everything you can cause you will need it. I decided to stay eTdi as I have a whole running car.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Engine Auto part
Motor vehicle Engine Auto part Vehicle Car

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
A full dressed ALH weighs right around 300lbs so it will be about the same as the 4.7 that got yanked.
Engine Auto part Motor vehicle Fuel line Automotive engine part
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automobile repair shop Auto part

Ill post more later as I have exceeded some limit with pics?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yep I'm going through the same thing with the picture limit. It's because our accounts are new. I think once you get over 10 posts you can post more pics...

Having said that...this looks like a cool project.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks I was checking out your ranger build. Man I wish we got the quad cab ranger like they get in South America I would have loved to do one of those.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Thanks I was checking out your ranger build. Man I wish we got the quad cab ranger like they get in South America I would have loved to do one of those.
What engines are fitted to rangers in South America.

The ranger with 3.2 litre, 5 cylinder diesel is one of the most popular vehicles (among all cars and 4x4's sold) in Australia.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The rangers down there came with 2.5 and 3.2 for the diesel wise but the big difference is the quad cab which we never got.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I like the build, I the pics are not showing here, past post 6. I did go thru the thread on tdiclub. The VW does not seem to be any easier than other engines. I kind of thought the VW might be a little less work, because it already has accessories, but that does not seem to be the case. I also want to see how the power goes. if you can get results like the youtube Toyota pulling a car trailer
your engine is electronic, but NOT common rail correct? is there any chance a person can tune the ECM without professional help?
I am not sure if the the 01 dodge is very jeepy or not, but I made a fakey cam signal ( single pulse) and a real crank signal to get my instruments to work

have fun and happy holidays keep us posted.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks yea i just now see that the pics dont show. I cant go back and edit the posts. Ill see if a mod can unlock it so I can fix the dead links.
I have done a few repower swaps though all gas and I must say this is one of the cheapest and easiest so far. Yes the ALH I am putting in is for the most part the last distributor style pump diesel that VW put into passenger cars save for the BHW. I could go full manual and ditch the electronics and use a 300TDI pump found on overseas landrovers. I did pick one of those up used but I opted to keep the electronics as I have a complete running car.
Yes I did find a way you can tune without a pro but the definitions are a little screwy and I just dont have the time to sit to learn a new language right now when I can get a tune for $300.

Crank and cam signal for the RPM gauge to work will not be to bad I will cover it when I get to it as it is "Jeep" similar.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
New post #6

Here is the Tdi harness before cutting all the unnecessary out.

Adapter from TD conversions

Starter fitment.

Uses a 4L jeep flywheel and clutch.

Bolted to the stock NV3500HD

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
New Post #7

Lots of room but the driver side mount will have to be all new.

Stock oil cooler clearance. I could get one from a BHW Passat that would have the outlets vertical if needed.

Stock diff to trans mount will have to be modified as I will move the drivline 2 inches fwd.

Temp mount for measurements.

Cut

Fixed

Passenger side mount

Driver side

Ford F150 hyd mount.

Pan clearance

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
New Post #8

Pedal mount

AC compressor looks like it wont clear so stole a RH side setup from a 1.8T gaser

It fits. I will leave the stock driverside compressor to simplify belt routing. And maybe I can make it into an on board air source?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In the garage by like2 inches. Im sure it will not fit with the front bumper on.

Wiring fun. Its not bad really. 1 power relay and 3 fused circuits. takes longer to gut and clean up the harness than anything else. Cruise control will be interesting as there is a funky VW brake switch but i wont worry about that till after its up and running.

Got the computer talking to diagnostic software the other day so the only electric unknowns are cruise. Now I am down to the no brainer stuff. Coolant lines, Turbo plumbing, fuel supply.

Also picked up a new BV43a turbo it will be mounted to a factory AFN manifold which is the same as the BHW we get here is the US. This is the smallest turbo I have ever put on anything and it flows more than the stock VNT15. Should be capable of close to 200hp and 300+ tq.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Dont you like how the smaller it is, the better it is for performance? Take off, cruising etc, but its one of those, omg its small but oh man its gonna be a riot at the stop lights!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes its a tiny turbo but your right being a vane turbo and so small it will be instant spool. I was comparing dyno sheets I could find on the stock 4.7 and similarly modified ALH and the ALH torque peek is 2800 RPM lower than the 4.7 not to mention the 4.7 on its best day could only muster about 290ft/lbs

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just one more reason to get an entire donor car as the TDi has lots of great little connectors tied to good size wire. Here is my starter trigger with a locking spade connector from a relay base.

Bolted up the turbo using a AFN/BHW manifold and a BHW drain line. Oil feed is a braided aftermarket unit for a ALH. Also made a 2awg starter wire and used the VW battery clamp as it is a much better design with extra screw post on top.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
filler neck fixed with chisel mod.

I ordered a early 2000s 5.9 in tank lift pump. I just hope it will compress enough to fit in my tank without to many mods. Ill find out when it gets here. Ill need to modify the vent system also to take advantage of the full 24 gallons this tank can hold.

Might need to bend the shifter here it is in 5th at its closest point.

·
Registered
12,300 Posts
Looking good. If the shifter isn't hitting anything and not in an uncomfortable driving position I wouldn't mess with it. Appears to have adequate clearance.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts