Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Did my first fill up yesterday.

I filled it a quarter tank just to check my modified float arm to make sure its accurate.

Since I have no speedo yet I am estimating I drove right at 500 miles and filled it 19.1 gallons. So at 26mpg I am really happy as this tank had multiple WOT pulls for logging and quite a bit of idling. Once I get my part throttle fueling issue fixed it can only go up. Tuner should have that modified and back to me soon I would think.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I was messing with confirming my ABS/speedo issue and found out about a gauge sweep test you can do. This works for lots of dodge trucks 2001 and up. You can read CAN/ECU codes by key off and on 3 times. It will spit out dodge codes on the odometer. Then additionally if you hold down the trip reset while key off/on 3 times the cluster will do a gauge sweep test. At least I know the cluster is fine. I hate having to go to the dealer but the DRB3 tool is crazy expensive.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Not to much to report other than it hauls no problem as that seems to be the question I have been getting the most lately. I have been moving some pavers for a project at the house at about 1000lbs at a time. 3 loads so far probably have 1 more to go. The ALH chugs right along.

Also got a vented cap.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I finished up the exhaust . Its 2.5 inch all the way with 3 vbands and one butt joint for the tip. I couldn't weld the tip as it would have been near impossible to remove when needed.

I also filled tank #2 today with roughly 550 miles at 21.5 gallons. Not bad considering 75miles of that was hauling 1000 pounds in the bed.

·
Super Moderator
8,966 Posts
Also picked up a new BV43a turbo it will be mounted to a factory AFN manifold which is the same as the BHW we get here is the US. This is the smallest turbo I have ever put on anything and it flows more than the stock VNT15. Should be capable of close to 200hp and 300+ tq.
Great progress.

Any specs on that BV43 turbo? I'm wondering how it compares to the GT1646V (B series) on my BMM.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Great progress.

Any specs on that BV43 turbo? I'm wondering how it compares to the GT1646V (B series) on my BMM.
Its a BV43A. Not to be confused with the BV43. The Borg Warner part number is 53039880109. It came on a few Audi over here and was 170HP stock. 200 HP is not unheard of and on a 1.9 it will make 27psi I would say its slighly better given the compressor wheel is billet and very good for its size. Its on par with a GTB1646v or better. The thing is the spool is instant and normal driving never requires more than 10PSI but if you need 27 its there by 1800RPM.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Today I finally got the speedometer/ABS fixed. No lights on the dash save for the CE light and I will rectify that at some point by hooking the VW ecu CE light up to it.

Also built the intercooler scoop last week. Its 16ga with a coat of POR15.

Looks like it knocked the temps down about 10 degrees so its now no more than 25F above ambient. The big improvement is how quickly the temps come down after putting the coals to it. It was heat soaking before the scoop and staying 30 to 40 above ambient all the time.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Ok so today I dropped the truck off to have the AC lines made up.

Starting with the VW compressor side lines off a 1.8T the plan is to cut the hard line about an inch off the compressor fittings rotate them as needed and braze them back together and swedge on flex to the dodge side. Simple right? The problem is the VW lines are made out of a unfamiliar aluminum alloy and the guys could not even braze or weld the line back to itself as the melt temp was much higher. The stuff turned almost purple when heated so we are not sure what is mixed in the aluminum.

So does anyone know where I can find compressor fittings or know what the alloy makup is for the VW lines?

·
Super Moderator
8,966 Posts
I would use oring sealed compression fittings. Trying to modify aluminium isn't going to be fun.

But if you post up a picture it might show some other possibilities.

·
Registered
667 Posts
So does anyone know where I can find compressor fittings or know what the alloy makup is for the VW lines?
I'd try NAPA. I do not know if they still do, but years ago they sold many different AC compressor connections.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I would use oring sealed compression fittings. Trying to modify aluminium isn't going to be fun.

But if you post up a picture it might show some other possibilities.
They weld and braze domestic lines all the time but this audi and VW stuff is a strange alloy. If I could find Fittings to start with Id be set but Im having trouble as it looks like Sanden kinda one off the compressor and the connections also.

Here's a link to the 4 seasons catalog. The fittings start on page 581.

http://www.pageturnpro.com/Four-Seasons/72411-4s_IllustationGuide2016Part1/index.html#584
Thats an awesome catalogue. Dont see anything close to the suction side though.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
So time for a fuel mileage update. This is the first full tank I have run through with my speedo/odo working and it seems I was missing a few miles on my previous calculations.

Ran it down just below a 1/4 full and got 603.8 miles. Now factor in oversized tires that are 3.41% taller than stock then factor they are bald so worst case my correction needs to add 1.5% so 613.8 miles divided by 21.1gllons is 29.09 MPG. Im very happy with that.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
So we think we have the AC fix. Finally found a machine tool shop to make a few fittings for me. Just have to get lines made.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
It's seldom an issue whether something can be done, but just finding the right person to do it. Got the AC fixed just in time for it to turn cold. LOL. Don't know about where you are, but here in NC it's been very tolerable so far. No AC needed yet. Mid 70's for a high today.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Yea no kidding on the cold Im just south of you maby a 5 degree difference. Saturday looks like it might be warm again. Yea I have $300 in lines and adapter blocks. Not bad considering I didnt have to fabricate or build any brackets or have some off the wall compressor.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 · (Edited)
Oil cooler upgrade to PN 038117021E . Did this during oil change this weekend. Also installed a fumuto valve to make oil changes a little less messy especially when the front axle goes back in. The alternative would be to soak the entire housing. Around 7000 miles on this swap so far and caint complain.

61 - 80 of 92 Posts