Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just became the proud owner of a 2002 K2500 HD truck. Are there any recurring service issues with the 6.6 that can be fixed by fitting the newer parts to the older motor? I keep hearing about injector issues, is it due to low sulfur fuel?

·
Registered
2 Posts
The LB7's had issues with the injector design. They're mounted under the valve cover and surrounded by a cup submerged in coolant, sometimes these will leak coolant into the cylinder. LB7's love to eat through injectors no matter what. A good shop with a snap-on scanner can do a tick test to see if they're out of balance, which would give you an idea on how much life they got in 'em. The other common issue on all duramax's is the o-rings in the fuel filter head, they can leak and cause a bad idle/no start situation. Lots of guys upgrade the intake plumbing to an LLY or LBZ style intake from a newer truck but there aren't many parts that interchange between years. After 04.5 all the duramax's had different heads, injectors, ECM's, Variable turbos, etc. That being said the LB7 is still a great motor! Not sure how much impact the new ultra low sulfur diesel has on 'em but I would put a 2 micron CAT/Donaldson fuel filter setup on there to keep it clean and call it a day.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts