Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Dodge 1500 4x4 with 4BT MT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this for a 15 year old who wanted a project and wanted help. Unfortunately and despite all of my best efforts, their attitude changed and I am stuck with the truck. I also have 4 other trucks (two 7.3s and two Toyota's) so I don't really need this one, too. I am in the process of fixing it up and will continue to do so which will adjust the price accordingly (price of parts only).

I bought it last month in Oct 2021 on an 11 hour trip to get it from NC. The front axle has damaged mounts and it came with a spare. The turbo was damaged (maybe dirt/debris or a nut or something tore up the intake fan) so I have replaced that with a new HX30W. The 15 year old removed the non-working a/c. I have since relocated the radiator and am in the process of installing a larger intercooler. I have rebuilt the starter and installed new batteries and redone most of the wiring harness with a new temp sensor so all the gauges work except for the tachometer (has working boost and EGTs as well). Also new drivebelt and some new radiator hoses. Also installed a front hitch to it. Am in the process of fixing the brake pedal bushings.

It has a 6" rough country lift, wheel spacers, and is on 37s which are pretty worn. Has an airbag suspension in the rear with an onboard air compressor. Don't think it will pass VA inspection due to an ABS light that is lit. Hope to troubleshoot that next. Comes with a salvage title. Was once a 4.7l gasser with automatic.

I have checked all fluids, changed the oil but am unsure of the status of the engine. It definitely runs and is driveable and I will likely perform a compression test soon to see what the status is of the injectors (pop test) and cylinders. Frame and body is in awesome shape with zero rust. This was a TX and NC truck so no salt. Runs and shifts great on the highway but I only have 3 ten minutes test rides in it so far. The interior is fine but the dash is cracked in several places.

The exhaust was cut at the bottom turn of the first downpipe and is missing about 18". I have bought a 3" elbow and will work towards getting it solid again. Rest of the exhaust looks great. I think the previous owner must have been planning on routing it to exhaust stacks (which I have as well) but never got around to cutting the bed to install it.

I paid $5k for it and am about $800 in parts into it as of today. Will keep this listed until it sells and continue working through it to make it reliable. I always wanted a 4bt so I don't mind working on it until I can find the right home for it.

PM me if you need more pictures and I can add them to this thread.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought this for a 15 year old who wanted a project and wanted help. Unfortunately and despite all of my best efforts, their attitude changed and I am stuck with the truck. I also have 4 other trucks (two 7.3s and two Toyota's) so I don't really need this one, too. I am in the process of fixing it up and will continue to do so which will adjust the price accordingly (price of parts only).

I bought it last month in Oct 2021 on an 11 hour trip to get it from NC. The front axle has damaged mounts and it came with a spare. The turbo was damaged (maybe dirt/debris or a nut or something tore up the intake fan) so I have replaced that with a new HX30W. The 15 year old removed the non-working a/c. I have since relocated the radiator and am in the process of installing a larger intercooler. I have rebuilt the starter and installed new batteries and redone most of the wiring harness with a new temp sensor so all the gauges work except for the tachometer (has working boost and EGTs as well). Also new drivebelt and some new radiator hoses. Also installed a front hitch to it. Am in the process of fixing the brake pedal bushings.

It has a 6" rough country lift, wheel spacers, and is on 37s which are pretty worn. Has an airbag suspension in the rear with an onboard air compressor. Don't think it will pass VA inspection due to an ABS light that is lit. Hope to troubleshoot that next. Comes with a salvage title. Was once a 4.7l gasser with automatic.

I have checked all fluids, changed the oil but am unsure of the status of the engine. It definitely runs and is driveable and I will likely perform a compression test soon to see what the status is of the injectors (pop test) and cylinders. Frame and body is in awesome shape with zero rust. This was a TX and NC truck so no salt. Runs and shifts great on the highway but I only have 3 ten minutes test rides in it so far. The interior is fine but the dash is cracked in several places.

The exhaust was cut at the bottom turn of the first downpipe and is missing about 18". I have bought a 3" elbow and will work towards getting it solid again. Rest of the exhaust looks great. I think the previous owner must have been planning on routing it to exhaust stacks (which I have as well) but never got around to cutting the bed to install it.

I paid $5k for it and am about $800 in parts into it as of today. Will keep this listed until it sells and continue working through it to make it reliable. I always wanted a 4bt so I don't mind working on it until I can find the right home for it.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts