Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 20 of 390 Posts

·
Vendor
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, I’m trying to get some help with some ideas and best mods. I’m currently on my third deployed to Iraq and I’m having Bent Metal Customs in Washington swap my engine over to the 4BTA. I’m hoping when I head home my truck will be finished. Over the next month and a half I will be updating this thread with the progress Bent Metal Customs makes.

The engine I bought is a 2005 4BTA 130HP CPL 1839, I’m planning on using a Dodge Getrag 360 I bought off Ebay with a Ford NP205.

My plan is to get feedback from you guys on the site for ideas on best gauges, axle ratio, fan setups, vacuum for power steering, air conditioning, governor spring, top mount intercooler heater hoses. Ect

·
Registered
355 Posts
cool build

Hey everyone, I’m trying to get some help with some ideas and best mods. I’m currently on my third deployed to Iraq and I’m having Bent Metal Customs in Washington swap my engine over to the 4BTA. I’m hoping when I head home my truck will be finished. Over the next month and a half I will be updating this thread with the progress Bent Metal Customs makes.

The engine I bought is a 2005 4BTA 130HP CPL 1839, I’m planning on using a Dodge Getrag 360 I bought off Ebay with a Ford NP205.

My plan is to get feedback from you guys on the site for ideas on best gauges, axle ratio, fan setups, vacuum for power steering, air conditioning, governor spring, top mount intercooler heater hoses. Ect
we really need a little more details on your truck:confused: as in what are you going to use it
for a daily driver or a toy part time driver.
are you using stock running gear axles etc.
are you lifting it if so what size tires ?

I would say for a daily driver I would run around a 354 ratio on gearing
as far as turbos and fuel mods search the treads their is a ton of options and info.
look up Scott (ie Crew Cab 59) for engine info fuel mods etc he has a lot of exp with the 4bt
and can probably tell you more than you ever need to know:D
as far as gauges I have ISSPRO in my Y2K 24V and like them pretty well
good luck keep us posted I want to see pictures.
and thank you for serving our county bounce

·
Vendor
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What about emissions? I ended up going with an older rig so it would be exempt.
I’m from Colorado, im just stationed in Washington. I called the Colorado state DMV department they told me as long as the engine is newer I can swap all I need is a Vin verification then go down to my county DMV and change my title to diesel

·
Vendor
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
we really need a little more details on your truck:confused: as in what are you going to use it
for a daily driver or a toy part time driver.
are you using stock running gear axles etc.
are you lifting it if so what size tires ?

I would say for a daily driver I would run around a 354 ratio on gearing
as far as turbos and fuel mods search the treads their is a ton of options and info.
look up Scott (ie Crew Cab 59) for engine info fuel mods etc he has a lot of exp with the 4bt
and can probably tell you more than you ever need to know:D
as far as gauges I have ISSPRO in my Y2K 24V and like them pretty well
good luck keep us posted I want to see pictures.
and thank you for serving our county bounce
The truck is going to be my daily driver, I’m using the Toyota Tacoma rear end with E-locker, and I had a diamond axle put under the front using a FJ80 high pinion dif. I’m running 4.88s now, 3.54 would be really hard to find for my axles. I have about 7” of lift and running 35” tires

·
Vendor
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I read alot of treads asking if anyone put a 4BT into a tacoma, but never found a real swap page with information. Im hoping this would turn into one for the tacoma.

·
Registered
959 Posts
with the winch and the 4bt your front end is gonna be heavy.Good thing you got the diamond.Any Bobby long longfields?Are the newer tranfercases driver side?Or do you have the some strange transfercase.

·
Vendor
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
with the winch and the 4bt your front end is gonna be heavy.Good thing you got the diamond.Any Bobby long longfields?Are the newer tranfercases driver side?Or do you have the some strange transfercase.
the V6 toyotas have a chain drive driverside T-case, my plan is to use a Ford NP205 with a advanced adapters, adapter to my dodge Getrag 360 so ill have a driverside drop. My diamond axle has all the addons u can get from diamond. longfields and high pinion. The weight might be a problem but my suspension is higher in the front due to suspension design. The 4BT might level it out, if its too soft, ive been planning on buying alcan springs for the front anyway. I used them in the back then used 1985 toyota pickup procomp springs in the front. there not too great only 3 or 4 pack springs.

Once the 5VZ-FE is out im planning on plating the from inner frame rails and doing the same where the new transmission mounts are gona be. This should help with the torque, preventing my frame from twisting.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I’m from Colorado, im just stationed in Washington. I called the Colorado state DMV department they told me as long as the engine is newer I can swap all I need is a Vin verification then go down to my county DMV and change my title to diesel
Cool, I was born&raised there. Good looking motor! Will be a sweet truck when yuor done. BTW thanks for your service!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Very nice

Love the truck i'm not totaly sure on the gearing
my 2000 24V is perfect with 3.54 and 6sp running 33'S
I'm going to try this same gearing in my Dakota with 33'S
since you are running 35'S I would say that you won't need to
run that high but I still have a feeling the 4.88 might be a little low
you'll just have to give iut a try but I would guess 4.10 or 3.73

1 - 20 of 390 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.