Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

2005 RAM 1500ST 2WD TDI swap

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  manbearpig 
#1 ·
Well since i got the engine on the way and i am starting this for real now i though i would start a thread on this.. so.. here is a few things on my current truck.. and what i am planing and hopeing to do

My truck is a 2005 model RAM 1500 ST, it has a 3.7L Powertech V6 with a 6 speed Getrag 238 gearbox, i happen to like this gearboxes gear ratios, incase anyone is wondering my trucks curb weight is 4475lbs. with the current engine and about 560lbs of weight in the bed i still have plenty of reserve power,

I am going to be using a AHU TDI, i will get more on that once i got it into my shop but i am going to be going MTDI with a LandRover Pump my goal with it will be 220-240lbs of torque in the 1800-2200 RPM band as this is where i shift and also where i ride at highway speed in 5th gear, 6th gear the engine is kinda low turning at 55 MPH but i can live with 6th gear being for freeway only.. i dont realy use it much now anyhow.. it is also worth making note that the V6 can only put out 210lbs of torque at 2000RPM so i should pick up some extra power at the low end where i actualy drive.

Ok so what i need to get done with the engine, and need some help with how to make work,

1. engine kill solenoid ( i am thinking using one of the coil on plug hot wires to run this? would that work?)
2. Glow Plugs, (need them gets cold here)
3. AUX glow plugs (i want to be able to push a butten to have them run for a perioud of time to aid in engine heat up)
4. Stock Tach (i am thinking on using the crank sensor, or alternator pulse thing anyone have any other ideas how to make it work)
5. Cruse Control (would be cool if i could make it work right)
6. Stock oil, temp gauges ( can i just put existing type sensors into the TDI and they will work?)
7. aftercooler? (i am thinking on going liquid type to keep the piping simple)

these are some things i have thought up that will take some thinking.
what i do need to make are some engine mounts, any help with ideas would be much aprciated,

i am going to have TD conversions build me up a adaptor plate. i am looking forward to getting that.

i will keep this upto date as i can and i would love any ideas people have.

See less See more
#3 ·
Have you gotten any further yet? Did you get your adapter yet? I would love to get my hands on a Gen 3 regular cab short bed 1500 manual 4wd and do this exact swap. I have an AHU that I'm going to put Bosio 520 nozzles, HX25 turbo, and the Landrover pump to make it a MTDI and get more power than before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.