Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Started rebuilding the engine in Feb, and tore into the truck in May. Still a few things to do but I figured I'd start the build thread.

I bought a 1995 Frito Lay Van with a bad tranny, pulled the engine, and traded the van for a motorcycle.

Started the tear down of the engine.

Then the pump was giving me problems trying to get the gear off, so I skipped its removal and took the head off.

No scoring in any of the cylinders and there was nothing else that I could do, so I went back to work on the pump gear. I broke 3 different pullers, then I got the acetylene torch, a hammer, and another puller and went to town. The thing came flying off when it broke loose.

Went and dropped off my rocker pedestals to get milled for studs. Then found out that my head was cracked so bought a new one through cummins.

Found an HX35 locally with a 12cm housing and a 16cm housing to add to my HX30 for compounds.
(Removed the picture of the turbos, bc it was confusing

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Then I put the studs in and a new head gasket and put the head back on.

Then I cleaned her thoroughly and painted her.

I realized that I was missing one of the alignment dowels that lines the head onto the block. So I bought a new head gasket and took the head off and replaced it with the dowel in place.

Found more broken parts which I had to replace. This is in the oil filter housing.

Bought a spacer for the exhaust to clean the fuel lines. This turbo is gonna be sitting high.

Then I fired her up and she ran perfectly. So I put a paper towel in the intake so nothing would get in while I started to tear into my truck. Then can you guess what happened. I went to fire it up for one of my buddies and totally forgot that the paper towel was there but remembered as soon as I started it. So I killed it real fast. I took off the intake and didn't see anything and thought that I must have already taken it out. Nope. Fired her up again and she was spitting towel. So I killed it, took off the head and found a smashed up paper towel.

One new head gasket later and we are back in business and a little more pissed off. haha

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rebuild a NV4500 and a NP 243 t- case. Ran into a couple problems but eventually got her to work.

Bought a new clutch kit from valair and bolted her all together. The spacer for my Secondary turbo came in so I slapped that on to see how it looked. It sits super high but I think I will have room.

Brought the truck in for the tear down.

Then the test fit for the 4BT and to get the measurements for the motor mounts and the tranny mount.

Build the motor mounts out of 3/8 steel. They are massive.

Pulling late nighters requires lots of rockstars

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Got the EGT sensor ready

Started working on the fuel lines and tank.

Built my own water separator/fuel filter to mount inline. Got the idea from Jbat on his build.

Now with fuel lines and diesel in the tank it's time to start her and feel how she vibrates with liquid motor mounts.
https://instagram.com/p/3VJh1RwLSM/
All in all she doesn't vibrate much.

As of today, I just need to build mounts for the steering rack and pinion that are lower. Hopefully I can get that done today. Then the front can go back on and I can run my intercoolers and piping.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Love the build man! But tisk tisk, AIR in a MIG weld! You should be ashamed. ATI super damper? That what I spot there on the front?

·
Registered
954 Posts
With the 2003 and up F150s being fly by wire for the gas pedal what are you doing for a throttle cable setup?

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Subscribed. Interested in the legal implications of registering such a new vehicle with a diesel motor.

Looks like you can swap out a head gasket in about an hour now!

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
I'm a little puzzled by what your turbo arrangement will be on this engine. Is you high pressure turbo going to be an HX35W? It will be slow to spool. You want a small turbo up top such as and HX30W 6 cm and the HX35W 12cm for the low pressure.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Love the build man! But tisk tisk, AIR in a MIG weld! You should be ashamed. ATI super damper? That what I spot there on the front?
Haha I am ashamed. I honestly don't remember what happened there. Probably something stupid though. ha. It is the Vibratech Fluidamper. My buddy Jbat is running the ATI super, so I thought I would be different.

With the 2003 and up F150s being fly by wire for the gas pedal what are you doing for a throttle cable setup?
Still working on that. Depending on if the fly by wire controls the cruise control or not, I may or may not use the existing setup and just hook a throttle cable up to the pedal, and place it so it gives the right amount of throw for full throttle.

Subscribed. Interested in the legal implications of registering such a new vehicle with a diesel motor.

Looks like you can swap out a head gasket in about an hour now!
Dang straight I can! Enough time has passed that I just laugh when I think about it. As for registration, I contacted the diesel emissions center for my county and they provide an inspection that can change the title to diesel for the DMV. And given that my county doesn't require diesel emissions, should be pretty easy.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm a little puzzled by what your turbo arrangement will be on this engine. Is you high pressure turbo going to be an HX35W? It will be slow to spool. You want a small turbo up top such as and HX30W 6 cm and the HX35W 12cm for the low pressure.
Yeah that was a bit confusing, since I noticed it was the wrong picture. I have them mounted in the truck right now. here is a picture of it.

I am running a HX30 6cm for High Pressure, and a HX35 16cm non-WG low pressure. I have a 12cm WG housing for the hx35 as well, but I wanted to try this out first.

·
Premium Member
2,599 Posts
Interesting built on the compounds. I've read here that the 14cm2 on the HX35 should be the hot set up with the HX30cm2.

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
The 16 cm housing may do OK. A lot depends on how much fuel you plan to run. The 12 cm wastegated might allow for more adjustment. Are you going to reclock the HX35 so the compressor outlet is up top? With a 90 deg elbow it might make the plumbing a bit easier. I didn't see anything in the way up there.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Interesting built on the compounds. I've read here that the 14cm2 on the HX35 should be the hot set up with the HX30cm2.
I'm sure the 14cm ex will be just fine, maybe even more free flowing top end. I was a wuss with my set up and think most guys would want the extra push of a bigger ex housing.

Dave

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
There were 2 different 14 cm housings for the HX35. Gated and non gated. Neither is very common. A non gated housing can be had for around $250. The gated version $550.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
So jet skiing season is coming to an end and that means more time to finish this. I got the steering done finally. The Fluid Dampner was slightly too big and was hitting the Rack and Pinion, so I had to cut off the brackets that hold it, and build new ones that are lower. Having to do this without pulling the motor was a royal pain! The steering shaft was not long enough now, so I had to cut and mill a piece and then weld it on. (Thanks to jbat for helping me mill that piece)

Then I took the power steering lines from the R&P and had them brazed onto the lines for the PSP.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The clutch was interesting. I ordered a slave and master for a 1995 cummins. The master attaches to the firewall at an angle that the F150 doesn't have, so I took it apart and cut the angle off and welded it on straight. The rod that came with the kit was way too long for how much room I had in the cab. I wanted to build a bracket anyway for the clutch pedal to mount to so I just built it a little bit bigger to compensate for the rod length. Turned out pretty good. The pedal sticks out a little bit further than normal but I'll get used to it.

Now I am working on all the electrical while I still have the front end off for easier access. Also hooking up the gas pedal to a cable throttle instead of fly by wire.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If I can get my hands on a 14cm2 for cheap I will snag it and see what I can do with it. but until then we will see the battle between 12 vs 16.

The 16 cm housing may do OK. A lot depends on how much fuel you plan to run. The 12 cm wastegated might allow for more adjustment. Are you going to reclock the HX35 so the compressor outlet is up top? With a 90 deg elbow it might make the plumbing a bit easier. I didn't see anything in the way up there.
I am planning on 300 hp out of this thing, there will be a bit of fuel. My original plan was to run the HX35 compressor outlet up top but I was planning out all the hoses and pipes that I will be running and its getting really crowded up top. Especially since my LP intercooler will be mounted lower than the HP intercooler. It will make oil changes a piece of crap but I guess that is the price I will have to pay.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts