Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening everyone, I am new to the forum and had a few questions on getting started on my 4bt swap. I have a 2006 Ford F150 4x4 Lariat supercrew 3v 5.4L v8 Automatic. I am planning on putting either a 4bt VE or P-pump with a 5 or 6-speed manual tranny. I will be using this build mainly for towing my 23 ft boat. Since it is 4x4 I was wondering what kind of set up I can use, tranny / transfer case and if I should go with mechanical gauges or original electronics. Thank you in advance; any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
The first step I would take is to hit the DMV website to see if you can even register it legally as a diesel BEFORE I spent a dime, the rules vary from state to state for various model years and GVW classes

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Good we've seen it happen to others.
The "easiest" would be to find the last year ford put the 4.9,5.0 or 5.8 in one and use that trans/T case and to buy 4bt with the Ford adapter/flywheel that will be the closest to a "bolt in" swap. If you plan to tow often the ZF is the go to ford trans..$.02

·
Registered
11,041 Posts
If you're going with a manual transmission, then look for a ZF S5-42 with a small block bellhousing. You could also use the S5-47 but those are less common. Then you need the 4bt with the SB Ford adapter plate , flywheel, and clutch and you're there. To do a 6 speed would involve a lot more cost. If memory serves me right, the ZF S6-650 only came in modular or diesel bolt patterns. There is no adapter for the modular at present and the diesel adapter, flywheel, and clutch assembly would cost you about $1700 or a bit more. Also, the six speed is a bit larger and may cause fitment issues. Actually the SB ZF would be a plus since it has a low 1st gear to help get the load moving.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you!! I've looked into the ZF S5-42 and it looks like a solid choice for the build. I was also looking into an F85A which is a 5 speed manual that used to come in the F150, can that be be a possibillity (not sure if it can handle the 4bt) or should i stick with the ZF? I was also wondering if it would be possible to keep the same electronic shift transfer case or would i have to go with a manual shift?

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
11,041 Posts
The other Ford transmission that gets mated to the 4bt is the M5R2. That one has proven to hold up reasonably well as long as you don't abuse it. Member Eggman used one in his F250 until he finally killed it. His rig and what he towed was probably in excess of 15,000 lbs. and he was towing from California to Arizona. He recently changed to the ZF. You have a much lighter truck and not sure what the boat weighs you plan to tow. The M5R2 was typically found in F150's. If you consider that one make sure you get the one with the small block bellhousing, not the modular.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts