Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
IF a modular ZF5 fits a 4.5, your stock transfer case will fit the ZF5, but not a ZF6. Do what you can to confirm that a ZF5 fits before making any decisions, it will save you tons of time and money if you can use one and it's much better suited for a half ton anyway.

Wait until it's a running driving truck to change things like the fuel tank and brakes or you're going to end up with a mountain of a project that never gets done.

Use an electric vacuum pump to run the brakes (and other things including many hvac functions) and limit changes up front. The oem pump from a PSD truck will be just fine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Thanks for the help, @damarble. Do you think it would be possible to make an adapter plate to mate the transmission? Or would I have to mess with the internals of the transmission to get it to line up? Or is there an adapter plate that someone already makes? If I can go with a ZF5 I will do that, but if not I will just stick with the ZF6 and do a body lift.

The only thing I need to find is a donor truck with a 6.0. The issue with that though is they are all 5r110s. I could probably just steal the parts I need and part out the truck, or I could just try to find one in a junkyard and get the stuff I need. I would also need to find a ZF5 truck or at least figure out what parts I would need. Does anyone have a rough idea of what I might need? So far I know I will need the FICM, a intercooler, and a vacuum pump.

You are right about keeping this as simple as possible, I'm already getting confused about some of this stuff like how the brakes would have to work lol :confused:

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
If what the guy says is true, that only the two top holes are wrong, I'd personally look into drilling/tapping the block for those two holes.

A potential hang up is going to be the clutch. Idk if the input shaft length, diameter, and spline count of the modular ZF5 will work with a stock 6.0L clutch. A custom friction disc may be needed. If it's too short that's another hurdle.

If you get an entire LCF donor I don't see a reason to get a whole 6.0L donor too. Same with a ZF5 truck, you should only need the transmission and nothing else off that truck.

Here's an idea for even more simplicity. Going off this theory that a modular trans will fit a 6.0L/4.5L, that means your stock 4R75 will work too.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I am trapped in a 1980's technical time warp, so I don't know much about the newer bellhousing patterns. This Wikipedia link helped me mind a replacement transmission for my 1986 Ford bellhousing pattern 4bt:

NOTE: My 4bt came with a Later Small Block V8 pattern

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Thanks @Russ McLean
Looks like they are different bolt patterns for sure, and all the gasser modular blocks have the same bolt pattern.

As for using my 4r75, I don't really want to do that because it will not last long behind a diesel. I also am not a very big fan of it either, since it seems to always gear hunt and shifts rough. I also do not want to drill into a $4500 engine block that will become a very expensive paper weight if I mess it up.

I am also not getting a full LCF truck as a donor truck, just a 6.0 donor truck if I even need that. I will probably just do a ZF6 with a body lift so it will clear, which will also make working on the engine easier. The issue is finding a 6.0 with a ZF6. I could probably just buy a used ZF6 off ebay along with the 4.5 and just find what parts I need.

·
Registered
11,054 Posts
Damarble mentioned the V10 as a possible. If it did come with one it would only be from '99-02. After '02 they only offered the ZF6. That might be a good clue, because the 4.6 and 5.4 modular V8 would be the same bolt pattern as the V10 and I did find a ZF S5-47 4x4 for that engine. My guess is they are not as common as dirt. I'd bet the vast majority of those trucks were automatics. That manual is extremely expensive if you go to an auto parts store. If you have a local transmission shop, you might check and verify that modular transmission is the same bolt pattern as the 6.0 diesel. If it is, then you have possibilities. Could canvas some salvage yards to hunt for one. I checked ebay and only found 1 housing only with the modular bolt pattern. Probably the reason the parts stores have a $1000 core charge on that particular transmission.

·
Registered
11,054 Posts
Well, I tried to find a solution but got shot down. The ZF S5-47M will not bolt to the diesel adapter plate. Two different animals. I contacted Midwest Transmission Center and just got the reply back. Although both are modular they are not compatible. The diesel has a much larger flywheel and clutch. The 5 speed seems to be a lost hope. That only leaves the ZF S6-750 as the only manual option. Now there could be another possible route. The IH VT365 6.0 diesel used in their trucks came with an SAE adapter plate for manual transmissions. There are adapters for the NV4500 to SAE and also for the Ford small block to SAE so your might do the ZF that way. If you have an IH truck dealer close by, might pick the brain of the parts guy or one of the mechanics. The part # for the IH SAE VT365 engine plate is 1843383C1. There are tons of those on the used market. I suspect that one is SAE2 because the flywheel is part 1843120C91. In that case you could use a NV4500 pretty easily since there are adapters for it to SAE2. There is quite possibly an IH part for SAE3 as well. Need an IH parts person to sort it all out. That SAE2 is pretty large and you'd probably never have to replace the clutch on the F150. SAE3 isn't exactly small either.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Nice work char.

SAE 3 should fit OK, I have a T18 SAE 3 bell here and it's not terribly large. The SAE 2 I have to shoehorn into my F350 is a whole nother story though.

At this point, unless you're absolutely dead set on a manual like I am, an auto sounds a lot easier.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
Yes I'm pretty dead set on a manual. It's tempting to just stick with a 5r110 but I would rather have a manual, even though I keep trying to convince myself to just use the automatic lol. A ZF5 would be perfect but it is impractical to use it because there is no way to easily bolt it up. A ZF6 would be perfect but they are hard to get and would require a ton of work to fit it.

I will see about an International dealer near me. A NV4500 would be perfectly fine too if that could work. I am not really picky about the transmission as long as it's at least a 5 speed and I can keep 4WD. Thanks for going to the work of researching this for me, it's a really big help. How does it work with a double adapter plate? Do I have to lengthen the input shaft of the transmission or something? I'm not horribly familiar with that stuff so any information on that would be awesome. Also, would it be easier to go with a Eaton manual or some other SAE manual?

I am really looking forward to having a diesel and a manual in my truck. My truck has been out of commission for the last few weeks because of a stupid camshaft position sensor. I also thought about just getting a 7.3 truck or a 6.0 truck and building it to what I want but that will cost the same amount as this swap will, and it will probably still get worse gas mileage than a 4.5.

Edit: Apparently there is a International Truck dealer super close to me. That's pretty awesome. I guess I will have to ask them. Here. They are apparently pretty big too.

I also still need to talk to the DMV too, but I think I may be able to get past inspection as long as I can pass OBD II emissions tests. Maybe I have to piggyback the VT275 ECU on top of my 5.4 ECU? Does anyone know anything about this?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Not to derail your discussion JD... DaMarble what year of F350 do you have? I stuffed an SAE 2 flywheel/bellhousing in my 97 F350 a year ago. It wasn't too terrible.

Cj

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
cjfisher it's a 96. I saw some pics on here where a guy put a SAE 2 f/w housing and trans on a 7.3 and he cut into the floor a little, I'm trying to avoid that but I don't want a body lift either.

Back on subject, a SAE 3 bellhousing on a NV4500 might be the ticket, if such a thing exists. I've never liked them myself but it's faults would be lessened in a half ton.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
Is there a such thing as a SAE bellhousing for a ZF5? Or would i have to stack adapter plates? Also, what are the faults with the NV4500?

I also just found a new listing for a Ford LCF that doesn't run for $1500 not too far from me. That could be a good parts truck.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Idk that a ZF5 could be adapted to SAE 2 easily. It is easy with a NV4500 since the bellhousing is not integral so the SAE 2 bellhousing would bolt right on and space the trans the correct distance away. If such a thing exists of course, but I kind of remember hearing about one from Phoenix castings maybe.

The NV4500 has a terrible gear split from 3-4 that is a problem when towing heavy. The other thing is the 5th gear nut has issues, again usually when towing heavy in 5th.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Is there a way to bulletproof the NV4500 and fix the issues with it? And with two adapter plates do I need a longer input shaft or how does it work? I don't know much about this sort of stuff.

·
Registered
65 Posts
DaMarble... That was probably me :).

JD - I have read many comments about aftermarket parts for the NV transmissions being... well... junk. As you are pretty set on a manual transmission may I offer another route... Time to design your own adapter plate. With the right plate it may be possible to adapt the desired engine over to use with the ZF5 transmission that came behind the 7.3 diesel. Hardest part is getting accurate hole information for alignment purposes.

Cj

·
Registered
11,054 Posts
It may be possible to adapt a Ford ZF to an SAE bellhousing. Need to contact Phoenix Casting and Machining. They make all kinds of adapters for SAE to regular automotive transmissions. I also believe there may be ZF transmissions made with an SAE bellhousing, but not in this country. I know the ZF is used in the UK on some Cummins engines in buses and trucks and those are likely SAE. In the Ford line you have 3 possible ZF5 bolt patterns. Small block, big block (429,460), and diesel 7.3. GM used some ZF6 but not the ZF5. What would be really great is if the 7.3 diesel bolt pattern could be adapted to the 6.0 but don't believe such a creature exists.

·
Registered
65 Posts
So on the 97 there is a 1.5 inch (or at least close to that) thick spacer plate that goes on before the ZF5 bolts on... Lest others think I'm forgetful - I know that the ZF bolts go through the plate and bolt directly in to the engine.. But what if JD makes a plate that has pins (or locating groove) and through holes to bolt onto his 4.5 as well as a set of locating pins and threaded holes that match the ZF5? If the adapter is steel it should hold up well. The biggest trick will be checking all the offsets of the various bits that have to come together.

Cj

·
Registered
11,054 Posts
CJ, the only ZF that might have any adapter on the engine would be the 7.3 diesel. The small block and big block gas model bolt direct to the engine block because the bellhousing is cast as part of the transmission housing. The '97 Powerstroke would have had the adapter part shown below. Not really sure why.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 79 Posts