Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys my fire department has a brand new 2006 ford f 350 with the powerstroke diesel in it. It has 2190 miles on it. It has had the turbo replaced on it twice. The check engine light has come on and the pulled the code which is p0299 which is underboosting. THe truck isn't run very much. It is usually just pulled out side and run for about ten mins then put back inside or if its lucky is gets to go on a brush fire. I don't understand why this is happening can any one give me any ideas or what we should do with the truck.

·
Super Moderator
8,816 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i agree that the truck probably doesn't get warm enough to burn it but the first turbo went with in a 1000 miles of getting the truck and the second went with in 500 miles after the first one. We got the truck in the begin of 2006 so i really don't know what to believe

·
Registered
645 Posts
Turbo vanes are sticking from not getting hot enough and then sitting, you need to run the piss out of it once a week to burn the carbon off the vanes.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We are taking it back to ford so they can screw with it but i just wonder if ford will drop the warrenty?

·
Registered
22 Posts
why would they drop the warranty? they still haven't fixed it. but, yes, letting it sit and never getting "exercised" is bad for it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As far as i believe there is no Lemon law in Virginia.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Take the truck out and drive it hard at least once a month. You NEED to work these things or they fall to pieces.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Lemon it out and buy a V-10 Ford, none of the newer Diesels ever pay for themselves and the V-10 is shockingly powerful and efficient.
I don't know of any state without Lemon Law protection for consumers, and on the chance you don't have it a call to Ford (the number is in the owner's manual) will oftentimes result in a refund.

CD

·
Registered
278 Posts
In the mid-80s I went to the Ford Training Center in Merrifield. They had vehicles there that were taken back through the lemon law. The mechanics at the dealership couldn't fix them, but the engineers at the training center were able to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i agree with needing to run the truck more often and harder than a 10 min warm up. thats one of the worst things you can do to a diesel.

also, try a different ford dealer, not all dealers have diesel techs who know what they are doing. some folks just swap parts out instead of trying to find the problem.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just want to give you guys some heads up on the truck. Unforunitaly we still have it. It's on its 6th turbo and just check again today and the check engine light is on again so i guess its getting it 7th turbo so. Its going to be brought up at the next meeting but my feeling is that were going to get ride of it and get another truck. Its either a chevy or Dodge. Sorry we just have had bad luck with fords.

·
Registered
94 Posts
put a cummins in it

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thats what i want to do but NO luck on that.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I would imagine that if it keeps going back for the same thing it should fall under the LEMON LAW.

I used to be a firm believer in Ford Products until the 6.0 came out. Then I moved to Dodge for the Cummins..:grinpimp:
Just FYI the 6.0L runs fine in the bigger trucks....its Ford wanting it to turn high RPM that screws with it.

The 6.0L isn't really that bad of a motor

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
My dad has the International 6.0L V8 in his F250 (Its a 2003 or 05)
It has run great for the 60,000 miles or so it has on it.

The only thing changed was the oil, batteries, brakes and tires.

What is the horsepower and torque ratings of this engine?

K-TRON

1 - 20 of 27 Posts