Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! So I finally started my project! I used Farm Strong mid mount motor mounts. I spent several hours after work mocking them up and just welded them in this afternoon. A little background; I've always owned Jeeps, since 1980.. For the last ten years or so i have been longing to put a diesel in one so, parts collection began. Finally found the right Jeep early last spring (2019). And started the assembly process three weeks ago. I have enjoyed the forums here and thought I'd share mine in the hopes that it will promote others to take on the challange. Disclosure, I'm not a mechanic (Ret PSP Corporal), just very fond of Jeeps & Cummins.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Looking forward to watching your build. I told someone I had 11 months in mine now; then I looked on here and saw I had 13 already. Good luck!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'll be following as well.

I swapped my 2008 JK to a marine 4BT. It was a painful 3 year process for me. I had lots of scope creep. If I do this I might as well do this too... Love the final product though. Feel free to ask me any questions. Not saying I did it right, but it runs and drives haha. Started with a Bruiser conversion that went real bad. I ditched a lot of their conversion parts in case anyone is interested in their A/C and alternator brackets. Basically did mine all myself using 6BT brackets. As you can tell in the pic I moved pretty much everything stock JK related. Was fun squeezing in the 12x18 intercooler in front of the radiator and flat belly. Since this pic I added a PSC power steering pump and reservoir in the lower right of the engine bay. I posted some rock crawling videos of my jeep on Instagram @mudwasp_4bt. BTW I get about 20mpg with 40s. Axle gearing is 4.88 right now. Could go to 5.13 and loose a little top end on the highway. I have 3.73 gears for sale with only about 5k miles on them for JK Rubicon axles. That gearing was really nice with 37s with my NV4500 trans. Good luck!! Happy to try and help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice job!! Did you go with mid motor mounts? I was attempting to stay with the factory suspension but I'm experiencing some clearance issues with the track arms and front differential to oil pan. Did you lift yours? I appreciate your willingness to help. Thanks again!

Tony

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nice job!! Did you go with mid motor mounts? I was attempting to stay with the factory suspension but I'm experiencing some clearance issues with the track arms and front differential to oil pan. Did you lift yours? I appreciate your willingness to help. Thanks again!

Tony
Thanks! Lots of mistakes and blood sweat and beers

I did use the mid mount style with the liquid filled cushions that Bruiser supplied. I'll try to dig up some pics. Short video summary here

My suspension is different now but I ran for 2 years with stock style suspension with a lift of 4.5" coils in the front and 3.5 in the rear. I have a track bar relocation and truss on the top of my axle. I had 3" bump stops. I did have to notch out the truss clear the oil pan. the 3 inch bumps gave me about .75" before metal on metal to engine crank pulley. I didn't have terraflex speed bumps in the front so it might have been really 3.25". Need to pull the rubber bushings out and run the axle up to metal on metal with bump stops to get it set right.

Oh I also did a terraflex body lift of 1.25 to achieve a flat belly frame rail to rail. I had to cut the firewall for 3.5" down pipe and floor under driver seat for tcase clocked flat. I went with a stock turbo for a 6BT. It's a little too big. takes a while to spool up.

·
Registered
33 Posts

Tony
Here are some pics. I put the motor into the firewall as much as I could to get more axle clearance and fit the intercooler up front of radiator. The aluminum accessory plate is from Diesel Adapters for a 6BT to mount the thermostat, A/C pump, and Alternator for a 6BT. Bruiser supplied the tone ring pulley and 1/2" L plates for the motor mounts.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Correction on the motor mounts. Looks like I am off of the front mounts but mounted to the frame back a bit. I used the mid-motor mounts for a remote oil filter setup to fit with everything else. I made the bracket to mount the kit to. Notice my 10 mm wrench hiding in the pic. I eventually found it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update, I have a few more things to do but tonight I just couldn't wait and I turned the key.. it turned over very well, I left the fuel shut-off power wire disconnected. Just wanted to hear it crank over. Should be able to start/drive it soon. Things to do; lower rad hose, temp/oil sensor and vacuum pump wiring.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good evening! I spent a lot of time today attempting to create my lower radiator hose and so far unsuccessful. So I couldn't wait any longer, I just had to see if it would start.... Well, I don't think it made a complete revolution and it was roaring like a Cummins should. I am very happy about that as you might imagine. It really didn't seem to have much vibration, and I actually started it about three times and it sounded really awesome. Don't know how to post a video of it but I do have a few of them. So, tomorrow I will continue my journey in search of the right components to create this lower rad hose. If anybody has any suggestions or comments regarding the hose or anything

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Uploaded a couple videos on youtube if anyone is interested. Can be found under Tony Churner. Once I figure it out a slideshow to follow!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts