Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone new account to the forum.
I own a 2011 Jeep Wrangler it’s has stock 3.8L engine and a 42RLE automatic transmission. I decided to throw some tires, bumpers and lift the thing up and now its really underpowered and a pig on fuel (21L/100KM approximately).
I have a couple friends that are suggesting I do a diesel conversion to make up for the lack of power and get better fuel mileage and was seeing if I could get some better input or suggestions as to what i’d be in for.
I don’t plan on getting rid of the Jeep as it has sentimental value to me so that’s not an option.
If you guys could be of any help it would be greatly appreciated looking forward to hearing back from some people!
Garry

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
You need an ALH or BHW Tdi. Plenty of power and great fuel mileage. I would suggest a manual trans. An auto is doable just more to figure out for sure.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yea the repower is a deal if the trans adapter is priced right. Also has CAN bus outputs to integrate a modern auto trans control a little easier.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
Hey everyone new account to the forum.
I own a 2011 Jeep Wrangler it’s has stock 3.8L engine and a 42RLE automatic transmission. I decided to throw some tires, bumpers and lift the thing up and now its really underpowered and a pig on fuel (21L/100KM approximately).
edit....
Garry
Sounds like you made the typical newbie mistake of not changing the axle ration to match the new tall tires. You may find that changing the axle ration may alleviate the Jeep being underpowered and it would be needed even with the Diesel swap.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Sounds like you made the typical newbie mistake of not changing the axle ration to match the new tall tires. You may find that changing the axle ration may alleviate the Jeep being underpowered and it would be needed even with the Diesel swap.
Very good point. I forgot about the woes of gearing that is too tall. The 4.10's that were too much for the little 4 banger with 33's are proving to not be enough for the 4bt.

Sent from my mobile look-at device

·
Banned
5 Posts
The frame of the jeep is the main power element of the car. It is not only made of heavy-duty steel, but also additionally reinforced in 17 places. Therefore, in the repair of the car frame is extremely complex and requires special equipment. The most important condition is the master's ability to think three-dimensionally. When striking the frame, as a rule, twists in three planes. The cost and replacement of a new frame for such a car can reach up to one-third of the total cost of an SUV.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts