Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In March of 2020 I purchased a 2016 (yes the year is right) Ford 150 with a blown up 2.7L. I have my 4bt in a 03 Dodge 1500 that is rusting away. I am hoping the aluminum body F150 will allow me 10-15 rust free years with this conversion.

Over the summer I worked on it moving my 4bt out of my 2003 Dodge 1500 to the F150. I have been driving it since the first week of Sept but am working out the bugs.

Installing the 4bt into the F150 was very easy. It fit like it was suppose to be in there. The allison rear mount was within a inch of the stock 6R80 rear cross mount. The engine mounts were from a Dodge 6BT 1991. I placed them flat on the stock Ford mounts on the PS and on DS I built a bracket to fit.

I love the electric steering on the F150 as my 4bt power steering pump is on the shelf in the garage.

I used the following:
-P pumped 4bt with twin turbo
-2006 Allison 1000 6 speed - independent controller by Jason at Transmission Tuner in Montana
-Chev 241 transfer case with 29 input spline to go onto the Allison
-Howards conversion to adapt the Allison to the dodge housing.
-3.31 gearing with 265/70-17
-as this is Canada a Diesel heater for the engine coolant, Wabasto.
-Dayton HD front springs, tried the XHD but were too heavy duty. (the ride with the Dayton HD springs is like pillows, i charge the speed bumps in parking lots as they soak them up like they are not even there, can't wait to 4x4)
-Diesel conversions A/C pump relocation bracket
-Ford 6.0L mitsimoto intercooler

Most of my issues have been with the computers in the F150. I fought with the coolant sensor, thinking it was faulty but I ended up placing the engine head temp sensor onto the front of the head to get the coolant sensor in the dash to work.

I started with a alternator off a 92 Ford F250 diesel for the DCS bracket but ended up adapting the OEM Ford F150 alternator as the computer kept telling me I have a charging problem every 45 seconds with a anoying chime. Not fun.

Jason (wicket smart dude) at J+L Automotive in Lloydminster Alberta deleted a whole bunch of codes in the F150 control system to eliminate a lot of the code errors, and put it in dyno mode to get rid of more issues. I still get hill decent code (6R80 transmission is eliminated in the monitor system) and others at start up but will work on getting rid of the notifications at start up.

I installed a 2008 F150 drive shaft plate, as it is a 8.8 diff unit, on the front diff to install the drive shaft from the transfer case and eliminate the CV drive shaft.

Still have to get a few things done, A/C, front drive shaft fitted and the manual transfer case lever installed.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I hear you with the computer issues. As soon as a vehicle is multiplexing info from one ecu to another it's hard to do a swap with an engine that everything is analog. I'm nearly finished a swap on a 2001 ford expedition and had bunch of computer issues.
What sort of compounds are you running?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am running HX30 over a Hx35, with a AFC live. Works well, i have it limited to 55 lbs boost. A little smoke off the line then clean.

My neighbour is from England commented on my truck. In England if you even look at modifying your vehicle's engine there its crushed. Does not pass strict emission, crushed. Very few older vehicles. Stupid when you consider the cost of emissions to making vehicles for a 80,000 mile life at best. We are a throw away society.

Computer issues are frustrating. Working on it today, I ordered a Ocilation scope to confirm the speaking between components. Should help as I have found broken wires in the harness causing issues (to the alternator). Poor quality of wiring that is stretched in the harness when its made, to save a couple of inches of wire per vehicle.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Goblin- thought of a expedition swap as well, but the carrying capacity in the box is nice. The wife loves her mini van though and don't think she would like parking anything bigger. Can not wait to see pics when its done.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Goblin- thought of a expedition swap as well, but the carrying capacity in the box is nice. The wife loves her mini van though and don't think she would like parking anything bigger. Can not wait to see pics when its done.
I'm sure your computer issues are much more complex as your vehicle is newer. Some stuff I deleted as it was too much of a hassle. I do like pickups but I was aiming for more dry storage and seating capacity. Everyone has their own wants in a truck for sure.
Yeah I hear u with the throw away society, North America is probably the best place to live in if you like modifying vehicles.
Ill try to figure out how to post a pic or two, lol, this site has changed quite a bit since I did my last swap 10 years ago.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Probably a nice set of turbos and quick spool up id say. I've bigger ones(hx35 over h2e) and have wondered what a smaller set of compounds is like.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice work on your conversion. I like the use of space around the engine. Its tough to make things look factory but you did a great job as there is lots to fit under the hood with not a lot of room in that era of Ford. I first put my 4bt in a 97 F150, it was tough to fit in! The 15-2 era has a lot more room for the 4bt to fit under the hood as the footprint of the twin turbo V6 gas 2.7 and 3.5 are similar in stature.

I had the electric power steering quit while in Calgary, arm strong steering on the way home! The cause was a Crankshaft Position Sensor failure causing the ECM to think the motor was not running. I put the sensor to close to the tone ring causing rubbing of the sensor. I was in a hurry and overlooked the clearance.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got the 4x4 installed recently. I had Driveline Specialties in Calgary shorten the driveshaft to fit and get the adapter for the front dif. Great people at Driveline Specialties.

I have to put a on off switch to cut out the vacuum switch to get the vacuum hubs to engage. The 4x4 switch on the dash will not disengage the vacuum hubs as the computer freaks out as there is no communication with the missing transfer case.

I put the manual transfer case lever beside the centre console, it works ok. I was worried I would have a louder cab with the transfer case lever but i did not notice any increase in noise.

I have had boost noise in the cab since i started driving the Ford in September, I have been looking for it for months. So frustrating. I found it!!! A bolt was missing on the lower atmosphere HX35 exhaust mounting bracket. So happy to find it but embarrassing that it was me who screwed up not noticing it. In my defence was hard to see the missing bold as it behind the intake tube for the HX35 but my wife gave me the look, you know, your a idiot.

Been driving the F150 on shorter trips (No where to go with Covid) i noticed the fuel economy is ok but not great. We have shitty winter fuel here though. I put John Deere Hy Guard in the front and rear diffs to reduce drag, on recommendation from by Bro in law, awesome JD mechanic, as i flows when its -30 C here, unlike 75w-90. He has run the Hyguard in his 06 mega cab Cummins Dodge diffs for years. I also run the JD Hyguard in my yz125, YZ250, ktm300, rm250 etc 2 stroke transmissions for years. Great oil. Cheap oil.

The weight of the F150 is 1700kg on the front axle and about 1150 kg on the rear. I am about 300kg overall lighter than my 03 dodge. Nice. (2.2 lbs in a kg if you want to convert it) Our big truck scales are all in KG here in the great white north.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Hey Thanks. I had my 4bt in a Ford ranger before so it was a bit easier this time for room. There was tons of wiring still, but not much I can do about that.
So your just over 6k lbs, that's not too bad. Probabily as much as I'd want a 4bt to do.
I haven't scaled my truck yet, but I'm guessing i will be 6k maybe a touch under.
It defantelty feels heavier than the ranger but my ranger scaled at 5300 lbs with all the bumpers, solid axles ect.
How's those twins work for towing?

·
Registered
749 Posts
I got the 4x4 installed recently. I had Driveline Specialties in Calgary shorten the driveshaft to fit and get the adapter for the front dif. Great people at Driveline Specialties.

I have to put a on off switch to cut out the vacuum switch to get the vacuum hubs to engage. The 4x4 switch on the dash will not disengage the vacuum hubs as the computer freaks out as there is no communication with the missing transfer case.

I put the manual transfer case lever beside the centre console, it works ok. I was worried I would have a louder cab with the transfer case lever but i did not notice any increase in noise.

I have had boost noise in the cab since i started driving the Ford in September, I have been looking for it for months. So frustrating. I found it!!! A bolt was missing on the lower atmosphere HX35 exhaust mounting bracket. So happy to find it but embarrassing that it was me who screwed up not noticing it. In my defence was hard to see the missing bold as it behind the intake tube for the HX35 but my wife gave me the look, you know, your a idiot.

Been driving the F150 on shorter trips (No where to go with Covid) i noticed the fuel economy is ok but not great. We have shitty winter fuel here though. I put John Deere Hy Guard in the front and rear diffs to reduce drag, on recommendation from by Bro in law, awesome JD mechanic, as i flows when its -30 C here, unlike 75w-90. He has run the Hyguard in his 06 mega cab Cummins Dodge diffs for years. I also run the JD Hyguard in my yz125, YZ250, ktm300, rm250 etc 2 stroke transmissions for years. Great oil. Cheap oil.

The weight of the F150 is 1700kg on the front axle and about 1150 kg on the rear. I am about 300kg overall lighter than my 03 dodge. Nice. (2.2 lbs in a kg if you want to convert it) Our big truck scales are all in KG here in the great white north.

Thanks for reading.
takes a bit, I find to get all the bugs out. I delayed putting mine onto the road this winter, I'm going to get her on the road in a few weeks, hopefully my test driving around the block and two good days of driving should have shaken most of the bugs out. In in British Columbia, but in the fraser valley so our temps aren't nearly as cold. Good to know about the hyguard, we use it in tractors at work.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am currently getting the A/c working. I had Polar Mobility in Calgary join the Cummins hoses to the Ford hoses to connect with the OEM ford A/C components.

Today, as its F&%&*&ing snowing outside, I am building an airbox to pull cool air from the grill.

I am going back to 3.73 gearing from 3.31. When I pull my trailer 5 th gear with 3.31 the RPM is at 1600rpm at 105km/h, with the gear change i will be running 1800 RPM at 105km/h with 3.73, should be right on peak torque.

I see ATS had released a complete kit to swap the Allison behind a cummins. Looks great, they appear to have done their homework. I like my ATS torque converter in this swap.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pendelton, I like my turbo set up and yes it builds PSI quickly. I recently found a set of 35 injection valves at a decent price for the P7100. The valves produced a nice jump in throttle response.

I did some grinding on the HX35 and the HX 30 ring outside the intake blades. I wanted a nice smooth transition into the intake, similar to a multi angle valve grind. I really noticed the HX 35 comes on quicker but both turbos benifited from the grinding. Both turbos hold more boost, and quicker, with the smoother intake. i will have to see if i can get a photo as I am not a great at explaining things.

I was chasing a air leak, a whistle above 15 psi. The whistle was a clamp failure.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Green Goblin- the twin turbos are great for towing, EGT never above 850 unless on a really big hill. The 6.0 L Mitsimoto cooler definitely helps though.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Green Goblin- the twin turbos are great for towing, EGT never above 850 unless on a really big hill. The 6.0 L Mitsimoto cooler definitely helps though.
Great to hear! I ended up ditching my hx35 over h2e as I found in the heavier truck(my 4bt was in a ranger before) it was getting hotter egts than I like.
So I'm running the bread and butter hx30 over hx35. So I'm just getting it all dialed in myself. Yes, fantastic boost down low for sure!! I've just got the 12cm housing on my hx35 right now, might go bigger eventually.

·
Registered
749 Posts
850 C or F?
I'm hitting 1100 F holding max boost up a good hill. Can't get it higher!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts