Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought two more step vans yesterday. I am offering one of them immediately to this group and saving the other one for a future 4BT swap project. The dimensions are about 22feet long by 7.5 feet wide by about 6feet 9 inches clear inside the box. 4 speed manual (I am going to guess that this is a Ford setup) since this one came from the same company that my 4BT donor. Please note, it has the turbo mounted down low. The mileage may not be accurate. The battery is weak --- the seller had to jump it for me to drive; I'll come up with a battery if need be. The back door is a lift overhead door like a garage door. The Step Van would be great for storage. Or if you decide to scrape the Step Van, I read on this forum that the dual wheel Step Vans have about 100lbs of aluminum in them per foot. You do the math based upon the aluminum scrape value in your area.

If you need a 4BT and a Mercedes engine; have someone drive you here; then pick a Mercedes and I'll load it into the Step Van for you; then you drive it home.

EDIT: 04/01/2010 === LOWERED Price; asking $3400; yes, I will consider parting out if you just want the engine to the driveshaft.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Those are so clean! Wonder if they would make the trip to Vermont??

For those of you thinking about one of these, I've purchased Mercedes parts from Daw and was very pleased.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those are so clean! Wonder if they would make the trip to Vermont??

For those of you thinking about one of these, I've purchased Mercedes parts from Daw and was very pleased.
Thanks, Snowy! Make sure you say "good quality used Mercedes parts".

I guess you saw my other threads, right? There's only one way to find out if the Step Van would make it to Vermont. Shall I book you a flight to Memphis?:D

·
Registered
96 Posts
the 100# of aluminum per foot is based off of the distance from the back of the drivers seat to the back door not the overall distance of the vehicle, the fords are usually 15 foot therefore around 1500# of aluminum and the majority of chevy p30s are 18 ft yeilding 1800# but a few of the p30s were 15 and 15.5 ft, also the p30s are wider than the fords therefore a bit heavier than the ford of the same length. both apear to be fords, the one on the right will be a little newer, check the id tag on the inside above the windshield. the chevy bodies are wider than the fords but the chevy rear axles are narrower than the fords(note the rear fender flares), the ford will have a dana 70. These apear to have been well maintained seeing that the fuel guage works (most of the ford fuel guages dont work). the fords with duals most always have 16" tires, whereas it is rare to find a chevy with 16". NICE TRUCKS

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the clarifications. Yes, both of these are Fords and the inside box measurements are:
15feet from the back door to about 3 inches behind the driver's seat
by
almost 7 feet wide --- it's like 6 feet, 11inches +
by
6feet 9 inches tall

The fuel gauge and the speedometer both work.
And yes, the tires are 16".

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I need a ac bracket and the piggy back pulley on the engine idler in Az. Thx Stevein AZ
Hi Steve --- I would suggest you start a WTB thread in the correct section. I'm sorry I cannot help you at this time.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
great looking trucks-is one still available and will the tires make a 600 mile trip? thanks scott
I think this truck would easily make the 600 mile trip. Regarding the tires, I have 18 tires, so pick the 6 you want on it and we can change them around.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Curious what year they are. Repower or orginal, not sure when 4bt got started year wise. Trucks looks to be early 90s or older, just guessing.
Also I'd assume trans are 1:1 4th, what gear ratio in diff and what tire size?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Curious what year they are. Repower or orginal, not sure when 4bt got started year wise. Trucks looks to be early 90s or older, just guessing.
Also I'd assume trans are 1:1 4th, what gear ratio in diff and what tire size?
Either a 1987 or 1988. The tires are 16 inch. I have 18 tires\wheels to choose from, so if you want some of them changed out, I can do that as part of the purchase. I don't know the gear ratio in diff.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are these automatics? What would the price be for just an engine, accessories, and trans adapter?
This is a 4speed manual transmission. I will load the engine into your truck for $2500. This would include the injection pump, alternator, power steering pump, etc. The Ford adapter, flywheel, clutch, hydraulic slave, bell housing, starter, starter spacer, transmission would be an extra $750-$900. I will be happy to strap the engine to a pallet for shipping via an independent.

PM sent.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sold --- and gone. A fellow forum member, Terrascout, decided to tow it home. He left yesterday and when I talked to him last night, he was an hour this side of Amarillo, TX and everything was going fine. I removed the front bumper and he made this plate to bolt onto the bumper mounting brackets, wired up the rear lights to his truck plug for trailer lights, connected tow bar, connected a "brake buddy" to the brake pedal, added the sign, and away he went.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Daw_two

Great pictures, great trip, and a great engine. It's out of the van, cleaned up, and about to be mocked into the frame to mount designs. Darn thing runs beautifully. The van towed perfectly behind my F450, but I'm sure the same would be true for a 1 ton. the roads between Memphis and Santa Fe, particularly around Oklahoma City were very bad, so a lot of bouncing and shaking ensued, but aside from that, it was an uneventful trip. will cut the van up next weekend, so I'll lket you know how much weight I get out of it.

More later.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts