Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am glad that I found this site! I have been thinking about doing a swap in my 1989 ford E350 motorhome. Originally, I had thought of doing a 6bt, but when I did all of my measurements, things were not going to work out as well as I hoped.

I am hoping that someone can give me some advice on swapping in a 4bt in my motorhome. The 460 is a beast and drinks gas. I am hoping that I can use a 4bt and make enough power to still tow my boat or grand cherokee, without over working the engine.

I have heard that there were once kits for swapping 4bt's into ford vans but have not been able to find anything good about it on the web.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Erik

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think it will be pretty underpowered with a 4bt. That said, it will probably get about 15 mpg. You have a lot of frontal area to push, and that will really drag the engine down. It'll be important to have good gears. You'll probably want a 4.10 or 4.56 rear end with a diesel transmission and a 3k gsk.

The 4bta will be the best suited for this, because it has the most HP.

·
Registered
25 Posts
He said he doesn't have room. I think he can do it with a 4bt. BUt maybe a 6.9 or 7.3 would be a better choice? They'll pull better than a 4bt and came in the econoline vans.

·
Registered
500 Posts
He said he doesn't have room. I think he can do it with a 4bt. BUt maybe a 6.9 or 7.3 would be a better choice? They'll pull better than a 4bt and came in the econoline vans.
Probably so - find you a donor truck or Van and you should have a bolt in setup IMO.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am glad that I found this site! I have been thinking about doing a swap in my 1989 ford E350 motorhome. Originally, I had thought of doing a 6bt, but when I did all of my measurements, things were not going to work out as well as I hoped.

I am hoping that someone can give me some advice on swapping in a 4bt in my motorhome. The 460 is a beast and drinks gas. I am hoping that I can use a 4bt and make enough power to still tow my boat or grand cherokee, without over working the engine.

I have heard that there were once kits for swapping 4bt's into ford vans but have not been able to find anything good about it on the web.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Erik
Realistically, you could buy a LOT of gasoline for what it would cost to repower that thing for roadworthy performance. Do you really drive it enough for it to be worth it? If it costs $5,000 you'd have to drive it over 200,000 miles for the Diesel to pay for itself.

CD

1 - 6 of 6 Posts