Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just what I needed, another project. I picked up a 24ft triple axle trailer last night. As best as I can tell it used to be a travel trailer. It has already been re-decked with 2x12s.

It has an electric jack, brakes on all three axles, 2-5/8 coupler. Pretty beefy. It's not really set up for hauling cars, there's nothing to tie down to. No stake pockets either. So I'll be adding some things to make it useful. It's pretty tall too so I was thinking of doing a beaver tail. Any suggestions there?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Is it built well enough for hauling cars? I always thought travel trailer frames were pretty light duty.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's pretty sturdy. The guy was using it to haul two Blazers around. 3500 lb axles so it can take some weight.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'll be able to get some pictures today, the rain is finally getting rid of the snow and I can finally see the thing.

I don't think I'll be putting 2 vehicles on it, that would probably push me over my CGVWR, which I think is either 14k or 17k. 6k of truck + 3k? trailer + ~8k of cars = 17k. It would be nice to be able to put a full size truck on it which would probably put me right around 15k. The axles are coming into play in both situations and the first one leaves me overloaded. Say the trailer is 3k then I only have about 7K of capacity left on the axles.

I need to get the trailer weighed apparently.

·
Registered
801 Posts
This kind of stuff skates under the dot pretty easily. I doubt the trailer is anywhere near 3k, proly closer to 2. If it'll handle the weight run it.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
It's nice to see someone actually starting from the axle weights and work up instead of building and then thinking about the axles.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's nice to see someone actually starting from the axle weights and work up instead of building and then thinking about the axles.
If there's one thing I've done wrong and been lucky enough to live to tell about it it's running overloaded. I'm done with that, I'd rather have excess unused capacity.

Hopefully these pics give a good idea what I'm working with.

·
Registered
801 Posts
That trailer wont even weigh out @ 2000lbs. And no, I would not put 2 vehicles on that thing.

I will handle some weight for sure, but I would not risk 2 vehicles.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I totally agree with hemi.

What I would do is this,

1) maybe box the main frames either side.

2) By the looks of it the boards in front and behind the wheels are cantilevered off the main rails. Weld a few more brackets to support the boards. I might even be tempted to put a new short rail infront and rear of the axles on the edge.

3) I would forget about the beavertail and put some drop legs (or something similar) at the rear to stop the tail dropping when loading and make/buy some good ramps. You could carry them across the front of the trailer.

4) up front, make a frame up to mount a good winch up about a 12" above the bed.

5) Plenty of strong anchor points. I made that mistake when i first built my trailer. Not enough anchors !!! that was remedied with a box full of steel delta's that are welded to the frame everywhere.

anchor.JPG

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1) maybe box the main frames either side.
Can you explain this more? The main frame is a box tube already, not C channel so I'm not picturing what you mean.

I like the idea of a new outside rail. The little outriggers (the reason I assume travel trailer) don't seem that strong and leave me nothing to tie to.

I'm still wanting the beavertail if possible. Or dovetail might be more what I'm after, I get the terms mixed up. The deck is high enough to need really long ramps to get an average car up it. Since 2 cars is not a good idea I might as well take 2ft out of it and a 2ft dovetail with a 20ft main deck.

Or what about going spring under on the axles to drop it down? It doesn't look like I'd have a lot of uptravel but maybe it would be enough?

·
Registered
333 Posts
salvage the axles and start over, it will be alot cleaner, with better resale value

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
If you just plan on light cars it may be ok. Trailer has got to be 2k 3500x2 =7000 leaves you 4k to use safe. Any pickup is 5k so it would be pushing limits. Got a local scale. Ive got a single axle tilt 14 foot 6k butler it weighs 2200. Those travel trailers were light duty at best..

My bad its 3 axle not 2 still dot looks for anything more than 2 axle as most triples are over 10k and thats a money maker for them. So forget my math above but still would not haul anything more than one light vehicle. Dot with 3 axle empty requires cdl here..

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
954 Posts
I would think as long as your combined weight does not exceed 26,000lbs or 13 tons you should be fine under regular driver's license. My state its a Class D. I would start over with this. Use it as a template and rebuild it. I am ending up having to use my snowmobile trailer I bought for $25 as a template since it ended up being rusted to hell and back, axle has a bow in the middle (someone exceeded max capacity with it), hubs are shot.

I don't know what the combined weight laws in Washington state, but it has to be pretty close to what I deal with in MN.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think 26k is the fed limit too?

That might be the way to go, tear it apart and use the components.

I would start over with this. Use it as a template and rebuild it.
Did you mean to post a link or pic?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
When i looked at the pictures, it looked like C channel. If it's box, it's ok. Just try and find out what wall thickness is

Are you going to pull the planks/boarding off the top and take more pics???

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I might as well pull the boards off. The more I look at it the more I can tell a full rebuild is in order. I probably shouldn't have bought it in a snow storm, there's a lot of things I missed. The frame seems to have a pretty good bend in it (probably from those two Blazers) and the camber is way off on one side of one axle, it looks like it got hit.

So maybe an 18ft deck double axle can be built from the good stuff.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow this thing is junk! I loaded a stripped Explorer body on it to take to the crusher and the frame kinked while winching it on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts