Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well here go's one of a few post's

I'm about to start my conversion 24V common rail in to a 1990 F150 ZF5 4X4 ill put pics on as I go

pic 1 My ute soon to have new lease on life

pic 2 Alternator replaced with one that has a Vac pump on the rear of it as common rails don't have vac pumps

pic 3 the old EFI 351

·
Registered
39 Posts
Some advice, get rid of that twin traction beam:puke:

Other than that, let us know how it works.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'd be concerned about that Cummins pulling the dainty 1/2 ton frame apart. The early Dodge diesels had problems with the frame cracking. It's a MUCH bigger engine with more vibration and a hell of a lot more power. Good luck with it either way!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Would a ps pump/vac pump combo off a 12/24v engine fit to the ISBe? Or perhaps go to a hydroboost on the truck?

Is the 250hp engine from an Standard output truck with an auto?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
so is the 1 ton a solid type?
The ISBe doesn't have the hole in the timing cover to put that setup that's what I was going to do until I was told it wont fit and as far as hydro boost we don't have access to that type of brake system and you wouldn't get parts for it in Aus if something went wrong as far as I know at least with the alt & vac set up they are all over the place here

The 250hp is stock from the factory and it did have an auto behind it

·
Registered
48 Posts
Did they use a belt driven ps pump stock? All the CR stuff is foreign to me.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I'd be concerned about that Cummins pulling the dainty 1/2 ton frame apart. The early Dodge diesels had problems with the frame cracking. It's a MUCH bigger engine with more vibration and a hell of a lot more power. Good luck with it either way!
I wouldn't worry about it. Ford's never had frame problems. The Dodge frames are just thin cheezball crap. I think Toyota Tacomas might have beefier frames than Cummins Dodges.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ive done some more investigating with a firm that put a power stroke in a late 80's bronco and to this date the frame is holding up with out any mods & they tell me he flogs the crap out of it all week towing heavy trailer (work tools) then hard 4w driving on the week ends
Mine wont be doing that sort of thing just driving up the hilly Hwy here on the east coast of Aus its parked most of the as I have a truck (48Ton that's 106000 Lbs) at home.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. Ford's never had frame problems. The Dodge frames are just thin cheezball crap. I think Toyota Tacomas might have beefier frames than Cummins Dodges.
LOL - Ford's haven't had problems because they had cheezball crap engines in their vehicles - and yeah, the 7.3 PSD counts as "weenie" in comparison. The new Fords have an impressive frame - but the older ones aren't as beefy as the 1st gen (diesel) 1 ton Dodge - which held up pretty well with a gas V8. The 1st gen Dodge's had some cracking problems with the diesel up front though - subsequent models ('94+) were designed for the diesel and held up much better. Putting a Cummins into an F150 may require some additional bracing. Be aware - and watch that frame up front when you get it all together.

You may want to contact FordCummins and see if they have any recommendations for you. I think they restrict themselves to grafting decent engines in 3/4 ton and larger Fords.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
150 & common rail Up Date

Well other than the rad did want to go in due to the length of the motor with the fan on so I did some mods to the rad support but if its still to long ill go back to elec fans! ill see when I bolt the motor back in and put the rad support on.
The small block bell housing must be a bit longer than the big block I had to move the gear box back a few inches or so.
The next thing was I had to remake the A/C mount as to fit the original belt I couldn't get a longer one in Aus I"m putting motor back in for the last time today I hope :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
LOL - Ford's haven't had problems because they had cheezball crap engines in their vehicles - and yeah, the 7.3 PSD counts as "weenie" in comparison.

I think they restrict themselves to grafting decent engines in 3/4 ton and larger Fords.
Foooww Shoooooww:beer: :beer: HAHA I love it! I only have one thing to say to that "MO-POWER"!!!

·
Registered
454 Posts
i'll third that. the weight of these engines is what convinced me to go 4bt in my F100. they would be fine in a 250/350. and humps, why not a 4bt ? it'll shift it fine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All is right now one little mod to the rad support fits good now
The reason for the common rail the price was right and being I the agent for Destroked adaptors in Aus we had to make sure it would work on a small block bell housing
The weight is no different to the V8 & 2 X 125L gas tanks! I measured to the wheel arch be for I removed the 8 & gas tanks and believe or not there was only 10mm in it.
They say the chassis want take it well I'm not drag racing or sled pulling it will tow the boat now and then & up and down mountains.:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts