Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally found my deal on wheels!

Gama Goat 3-53 in a "tractor" chassis.

homemade chassis with no suspension

$600 motor only
$800 with chassis.

im thinking of doing this. ive been in email communication with the seller for about 3 days.
trying to get him to record video of it running.

also im curious about those hydro lines and what looks like a PTO hanging off the chev trans.

it wont let me post links to the pics on my website, so ill resize them tomorrow and post them up here.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So i cant upload the last two pics. ive already uploaded alot.

the guy knows nothing about the engine. supposedly his dad built the chassis.
the battery froze in the harsh winter and he cant start it.

im thinking fly out, get battery at walmart, crank it up and see how it jimmies.

any thoughts?

this is going in my 84 Jeep Scrambler.

there is one frequenter of a midwest forum, called bigin.
hes already put a 353AL in a CJ7
mayb the forum will let me post a youtube link?

if not just go to youtube and search for diesel jeep and ull see a cj7 climbing a hill.

he claims 34 mpg highway?

what are your experiences with mileage?

and yes by the way i have been reading alot on this forum. im extremely excited about this.

the fact that i can rebuild the engine without lifting the block from the jeep! YERSE!

my dad has already purchased the sm465/rockwell xfer combo
this chassis comes with either sm420 or sm465. i havent looked at the pictures enough to identify

and yes those are hydraulic steering lines and yes it is 4 wheel steer! im stoked!

now if i can only get this guy to hook up some jumper cables and crank it on video, ill be in business!!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Bigin, or as I know him as Ronnie P
Pictures
He sounds like a nice guy, but he really beats the shit out of his trucks.
If you have followed some of his posts on pirate 4x4, he twisted a few driveshafts, had the engine run away twice, and snapped the bellhousing on the motor.
I dont know how you do that under normal conditions, but he does rock crawling, dirt and mud stuff, so I guess it is possible.
He is running a T19 transmission and 44" superswamper tires, so I cant imagine his rpm's are all that high going 70mph

I would assume that 34mpg is a bit of an exaggeration. Jim Clarke has a 3-53T in his lightweight pickup, and he says he gets like 24-26mpg or so

If this motor is far from you, I would bring a large phillips head screwdriver, a flashlight, a breaker bar with the appropriate sized socket for the crankshaft, and a pair of pliers.
You should check that the injectors and the rack are free before starting the engine. You should also bar it over by hand a few times to be sure that it turns over, and you start pumping oil.
I believe that you can build oil pressure by cranking the engine over a few times in the no fuel position. That would be a good idea before firing it up.

Chris

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nice thats exactly what i needed to know.
im very new to this and im gathering all the info i can.
make a checklist and pack my bags. hopefully i can get up there soon.
gotta talk to Rodrigo, the printing press repairman.
he hauls his fixed presses up to chicago and the monster is 100 miles away from there.
he comes back with an empty flatbed and says i can ride with him anytime.
Rodrigo is a Toyota head but he's excited about my project.
when i moved into my current shop, he lifted the front of my jeep with his forklift.
didnt know a forklift could do all that.

wow ive been reading your newest project chris. your thread is a goldmine of info!
hope it fares better for you soon. dont give up!
it would be fun to help out on that one. very interesting stuff.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fukin missed out on it.
should have just flown up there and picked it up later.
kicking myself right now.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
looks like im going with the warehouse crate 3-53. unless anyone else knows where to find a Gama Goat 3-53 cheaper than $1500

·
Registered
181 Posts
If thats the guy I think it is (didn't look) the one where he's towing another truck or two up a hill with a rope? This one:

I thought this was just showing off, why beat the hell out of your stuff, a simple winch would have done the trick, if this is the jeep I'm not surprised he's busted u-joints and anything else. I mean I get it, yeah its a powerful jeep, but towing a truck or two uphill? Perhaps I don't know the circumstances, maybe the other truck didn't have a winch. But I think I would have anchored the jeep to something and let out my winch and pull the guy up rather than beating the piss out of my truck, I donno.

D.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
yea thats the one.

from what ive heard, hes very very rough on his equipment.
but thats just some peoples mentality. they like building and working on their projects only to go out and run them to pieces.
maybe hes seeing what fails so that he knows whats weak.
hes already had one run away on him.
im pretty sure hes not turbo so it must have been a stuck injector.

i found another 3-53 with new valves put in, but i woudnt trust anyones work unless they know about detroits.
these engines are finnicky about their valves.
the pictures he sent me are of it in pieces, and i cant be sure if anything is missing.

after my current contract job ends ill be working on my jeep alot more.
gona get the AMC 258 running reliably (i think it may have overheated on me before)
then track down a bunch of lines on detroits up in the great lake areas and see if i cant find a good deal.
if anyone has a line on a 3-53AL i would be very grateful.
im looking to upgrade all the parts with turbo components and top it off with a nice rebuilt turbo.
power and economy are what im looking for.
im so glad i got rid of the old 150ci 4 banger. i was misting oil from the breathers. probably a leaky ring pressurizing the crank case.
dropping in the 258 was a breeze. i did EVERYTHING myself (im 6'4" 175 lbs and i dont work out.)
biggest accomplishment with the jeep so far.
most fun ive had was a farmer road between corn fields and a powerline access road+ditch.
gotta love a good 4x4.

·
Registered
751 Posts
If thats the guy I think it is (didn't look) the one where he's towing another truck or two up a hill with a rope? This one:

I thought this was just showing off, why beat the hell out of your stuff, a simple winch would have done the trick, if this is the jeep I'm not surprised he's busted u-joints and anything else. I mean I get it, yeah its a powerful jeep, but towing a truck or two uphill? Perhaps I don't know the circumstances, maybe the other truck didn't have a winch. But I think I would have anchored the jeep to something and let out my winch and pull the guy up rather than beating the piss out of my truck, I donno.

D.
how do you know what you truck can do till you lay into it.

whail on it, i do. i hammer on everything i own, if it fails it needed to be upgraded.

why have a truck and wheel unless you are going to use it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts