Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm looking to turbo my 353. I know it's not a power horse but I'm trying to get just a little more get up and go so I bought n65 injectors and wanted to turbo it. I know this is just a non turbo 353 and the silver turbo 353 is basically completely different as far as all the parts being upgraded. I'm not gonna be hot rodding this though so my question is what all would I need to change to turbo this engine? What parts would need to be upgraded, added, and what size turbo would go well with n65 injectors?

·
Registered
596 Posts
There's a lot of different parts to make up a proper 353T. If I were you I would find an HX35 or HE341/351 and set the bypass to 7-10 psi, you'd probably only make 10 psi anyway, but just to stay on the safe side. As well find a large intercooler to cool the charge are so the blower doesn't rub. I know you said you're not hot rodding, but any long hill and towing will see your foot being planted and egt's rise. I'd also include an egt probe so you can monitor. I've never turbo'd an N engine before but am planning one in the future. The 353T I built was an old N engine with new upgraded T internals. I hope this is of some help.:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's a lot of different parts to make up a proper 353T. If I were you I would find an HX35 or HE341/351 and set the bypass to 7-10 psi, you'd probably only make 10 psi anyway, but just to stay on the safe side. As well find a large intercooler to cool the charge are so the blower doesn't rub. I know you said you're not hot rodding, but any long hill and towing will see your foot being planted and egt's rise. I'd also include an egt probe so you can monitor. I've never turbo'd an N engine before but am planning one in the future. The 353T I built was an old N engine with new upgraded T internals. I hope this is of some help.:)
Thank you! I will look into that! When u say the internals were upgraded to the T internals. Does that just mean the pistons were swapped out for the 18:1 instead of the 20:1 compression ratio? Does the T use a 4 valve head? I was thinking about swapping out my 2 valve for a head with 4 valves for better air flow. Would that be a dumb idea or would it be beneficial?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Thank you! I will look into that! When u say the internals were upgraded to the T internals. Does that just mean the pistons were swapped out for the 18:1 instead of the 20:1 compression ratio? Does the T use a 4 valve head? I was thinking about swapping out my 2 valve for a head with 4 valves for better air flow. Would that be a dumb idea or would it be beneficial?
Yes the T uses 4 valve heads, are you sure your 353 is a 2 valve? Must be very old if it is.:) I would upgrade the head to a 4 valve, but why not try the two valve head first and see how well it performs? The different internals are pistons, connecting rods, bearings, camshaft, valves, blower. The Silver Series is different again as it has 2 piece crosshead piston 18.1: verses 18.7:1 on the truck one piece piston. Silver has different rods, cams, blower etc. What size vehicle is this going in?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes the T uses 4 valve heads, are you sure your 353 is a 2 valve? Must be very old if it is.:) I would upgrade the head to a 4 valve, but why not try the two valve head first and see how well it performs? The different internals are pistons, connecting rods, bearings, camshaft, valves, blower. The Silver Series is different again as it has 2 piece crosshead piston 18.1: verses 18.7:1 on the truck one piece piston. Silver has different rods, cams, blower etc. What size vehicle is this going in?
If I am remembering correctly I believe it's 2 valve. I need to pull the valve cover again. I had it off to start it a couple years ago after I acquired it. It had sat for about 10 years so I was inspecting everything before starting. It's in a 47 power wagon but I haven't been able to work on it since I first started it about 2 years ago. I'm getting ready to go back to working on it tho so I'm trying to figure out what all I need for building the engine to a turbo spec. Are these 3 53s all pretty universal? If I bought a overhaul kit for a 353t or silver 353t would it work in my 353N or is there a different kit I would have to look for to do this? I've been doing some research on these 353s to try and learn as much as I can about these before I work on em but I've got a lot to learn so it's nice to have some help on this! Thanks! I could be wrong about the 2 valve tho....it might just be a 4....I believe it's an early 70s engine. I need to go in and look again tho.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Very nice, the Power Wagons are one of my favorite trucks. Yes a T overhaul kit will work on the N engines, but you will need new rods as well. If you decided to upgrade to a Silver Series you'll also need to change out the counter balance weights. I've bought most of my parts through PC Industries and Leid Diesel Service. If your interested I have a rebuild on a 353N to T engine as well as 4-53T Silver Series, it might help in your overhaul. Here's the 353, https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsdSpc8sBphAn7Df5kAXnBQfkUoIMO7IW 453, https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsdSpc8sBphA3_3GRe6I9ZDZvJEzzAlPz

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very nice, the Power Wagons are one of my favorite trucks. Yes a T overhaul kit will work on the N engines, but you will need new rods as well. If you decided to upgrade to a Silver Series you'll also need to change out the counter balance weights. I've bought most of my parts through PC Industries and Leid Diesel Service. If your interested I have a rebuild on a 353N to T engine as well as 4-53T Silver Series, it might help in your overhaul. Here's the 353, https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsdSpc8sBphAn7Df5kAXnBQfkUoIMO7IW 453, https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsdSpc8sBphA3_3GRe6I9ZDZvJEzzAlPz
Great to know! Thanks for the information! I will watch those videos and look into that kit.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
There was a red Power Wagon with a 3-53 in the north Denver that was sold several years ago.

Ed in CO

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There was a red Power Wagon with a 3-53 in the north Denver that was sold several years ago.

Ed in CO
Personally if I had been the one to set it up I think I would've done a 4bt for a little more power. I thought about swapping it but after I've listened to it a few times I decided to keep it a 353. They have a really distinct sound to them. So I'm gonna turbo it with bigger injectors and leave it in

1 - 9 of 9 Posts