Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
122 Posts
I just sold a 5 speed Clark with SAE 2 circular housing for 500 bucks . It was complete with parking brake and output flange . I also have an RT 610 Fuller ten speed with SAE 2 housing .Used parts are available , but you gotta know what you're lookin' for .

· Registered
122 Posts
Thomas-------One of the key points I was taught in the '70s as I became a sales rep for Detroit Diesel was to compare engine torque . A 3-53 has around 205 lb.ft. at about 16-1700 RPM. The point here is most people would never be satisfied if the torque was lower than original .engine . Not knowing what engine you are replacing, the 3-53 could match or exceed the old 235' Chevy or 239" Ford flathead , but a 300" Ford 6 cylinder has 265 lb ft, the 370 Ford V-8 also at 265 lb ft., but the 429 Ford V-8 had 326 lb ft , and 460 Ford V-8 had 390 Lb Ft. I copied these ratings from a multipage brochure from a company called Powermark, that was promoting the Cummins RECON engines and POWERMARK conversion kits . I don't think you'd want to drive your truck ...............unless you considered a 4-53 with 282 lb ft .

· Registered
122 Posts
With your deep pockets, and only object is to "roll coal", it doesn't make much difference on your transmission selection, but the fewer gears it has, you're more likely to be operating way under peak torque , resulting in more smoke that you desire .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts