Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3,423 Posts
What Wayne said. Also it seems some fairly heavy head porting would really help if you're planning to press the limits. It's free power and acts to reduce some stresses rather than put more load on the engine.

I've heard [no supporting data] on other forums from some pretty knowledgeable folks that the Holset line of turbos though high quality and reliable are not near the top of the heap for serious performance. I won't make alternative suggestions but you might want to research that and see what else is out there. Might be a shorter way around the barn than dithering over a combo/hybrid setup.

Methanol injection can help, and so can propane or nitorus injection. With methanol you don't have to hassle with DOT spec bottle refills but that might not matter that much to you. It does seem much cheaper overall and a simpler system in some ways. Methanol is only about 3+ bucks a gallon. I wouldn't try a combination of 2 or 3 gases.

One problem a lot of guys run into, unknowingly, is to underbuild then stretch the limits too far. That is, they build an engine with components that 'should hold up' at 400 HP, then they go to 425HP-450HP and KABLAM! Far better to build for 600HP and then you've got a clear stretch of road far past your original goal of 400.

One other bit of comment: it's best to decide whether you're going to go the limits or stop at a certain point and call it good. That is, actually knowing what you want and being able to be satisfied with it. That's a tough one and I've been fighting it for many years: MORE POWER, SCOTTY! From that I'd say if you overbuild and can be happy at your planned target HP you could get many miles of good clean [minus the soot] fun.

The top pros will tell you: cylinder/ring sealing is the single most important aspect of building a topnotch engine. Without very careful attention to this factor you can find that you wasted a lot of time, money and effort. Premium quality $$$ machine work and meticulous assembly in EVERY DETAIL can really pay off.

JimmieD

· Registered
3,423 Posts
I'm still struggling to figure out if I get a better bargain with 12 Jumbo grade AA eggs at $1.99, or 18 Large Grade A at $2.79. I don't care for omeletes all that much.

· Registered
3,423 Posts
Are those Bosch numbers or what? Do you have the CPL number for the 321 hp unit, and was it a marine application? What's an A model pump? Bosch or...?

That 321 hp 4BT figure would equal somehing like 480 hp in a 6BT, so more info would be appreciated. Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.