Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
New to forum, first post, so don't kill me :). I have a 4bt and watchin you guys to storm the way for me :) I have a couple of 6bt's and comment on those...for what it is worth..

I've o-ring my head, arp studs and marine gasket. I made the mistake of going .020 over on the gasket, cause the shop could not remember if it was .009 or .011 milled. In either event, I should have used the .01 gasket at most..Have the heavy duty valve springs, and 4k gov kit. Yes, I can turn 5k, but limit it to 4,500 at MOST. Usually by 3k I'm out of it...

I blew my stock gasket with 170k miles on it doing over 42lbs of boost. I'm sure that the egts were not helping it either..Many, people in my 6bt group are pushing up to the 40-50 range on stock, and in the 80-100 range with duals. DO not fear the bottom end on these things :)

I'm currently still using a HX 35/14 w/4in with the fuel turned way low. I hit 42lbs and can hit 1500F with little effort, just with the afc working. I'm around 380-450hp.

This is with stock lower ends, no ceramic parts, etc...

I'm very interested in the turbos you will use and the pump work done. As a general rule of thumb, the 6BT makes about 9-11hp per lb of boost. I would expect that the 4BT would make a bit less, 6-8 hp/lb? Is that fair to say? So making around 35lbs(safe stock limt?) would make about 230 hp. At that rate, you would need about 60lbs of boost for 400hp? This would require, gasket/o-ring/studs...

I have yet to hear of STOCK readings (boost/egts) on these engines(would like to know). Maybe I'm thinking backwards? Maybe they will make MORE hp/boost than the 6BT? Please inform me :)

An HX-40, would NOT be able to supply the pressure that are needed for this, it is out of the map range. Like the HX-35, they can do apx 40lbs but don't like it much. I believe a set of duals will be needed for this pressure. Can the injector pump supply this much fuel? No insult, I know the P7100, not these pumps, yet :)

I look forward to what you guys do(so I can do it myself :) Thanks for the great site...Hope I didn't insult by refering to the 6bt, so much :)

Quadzilla(not the seller)/Wayne

· Registered
2 Posts
CHARLES! You're the MAN!

I believe that is the best explaination I have heard on the topic. I am VERY impressed. T h a n k Y o u.

Better than any book I have attempted to read on the subject! Not that many books are covering multiple(in any style) turbo setups.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.