Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
haha just couldn't help myself.

Maybe I will try and transfer some of the info from our conversation onto this forum.

But what a couple of us have going...and can chime in is a collaborative effort to get a couple of these things to the 400HP mark and make them reliable every other day drivers. Hopefully it can be done on #2 only but might have to cheat and use some drugs to get that extra umph.

Not doing anything to different than mentioned in the 350HP thread except for sure am going with twins, and going to use a snow control and nos system to crank out some really good numbers and keep the EGT's down. Also to help reliability going to use a copper head gasket with the 0-ringed head and arp studs. And if I can work it out a fluidampr.

In order to keep the cost down might not be doing the camshaft either...all depends on what it is going to cost. I know the snowcontrol is expensive but there are others out there that are a bit cheaper.

Would like to devise and overhead intercooler to help reduce boost pressure loss...but I think I'm going to have to leave that to someone who can cut into their hood...not going to be able to on my truck.

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is interesting. Have they proved anything with tests and can they explain why ????

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow that is some intersting reading and all very common sense. haven't read the tech article...will have to save the 53 pages for later :)

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
An HX-40, would NOT be able to supply the pressure that are needed for this, it is out of the map range. Like the HX-35, they can do apx 40lbs but don't like it much. I believe a set of duals will be needed for this pressure. Can the injector pump supply this much fuel? No insult, I know the P7100, not these pumps, yet :)
Here is the question on the mapping of turbo's. Is it simply that they do not like the pressure levels or would it be able to push more LBS if the overall air jammed into the egine is less. Basically I'm saying it can still push the same amount of air but since the 4bt needs less would it be able to provide higher lbs.

Also i think the similar p7100 inline pump for the 4bt will be able to push the fuel for these numers. As for the VE pumps they may be able to do it but I don't think they would hold up.

Attachments

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dizamn Charles,

That is the best explanation I have ever heard as well. I now understand much better. I still need practice reading maps but I fully understand the ....if I am stating this right... compound turbo set up?

Is this correct?

The differences in terms such as compounds, twins, ect?

But yes thank you again that was a very good explanation. All the more reason reaffirming why I would like to put a twin turbo set up on this puppy. I think the 4bt would be very happy with one.

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Hey Charles,

I will do a bit of research on what I plan to use and get back to you then. Thank you for the help that would be excellent. I really do hope to have the first 400HP 4BT out there. Trust me when the truck is blowing people away at the Dyno's I'll be sure to mention your names as so far on my own I am completely incapable of designing such an engine.

As far as peak power I assume where in the power range I want the peak power to be. To tell you the truth I don't care where it is as long as I can get to that 400HP mark. I really don't know which intercooler I am going to use yet. What is the usual standard level or PSI boost lost in an intercooler? I am probably not going to be using anything really large as there is not a lot of room on this 56 F-100 and I don't plan on ever pulling anything and don't really plan on doing anything but a few 1/8th and fewer 1/4 mile drags just to say I did and use that power.

Hoping to get into the 60 PSI level

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dang it bob I just realized I forgot to give you a call. Should be getting ahold of nate sometime this week.

But as far as the drivablility of the truck for 100,000 thousand miles I agree. In all reality I probably don't plan to put 10,000 miles on the truck in the next 10 years.

I agree in overbuilding the engine and not pushing it to its limits as stated in an earlier thread. I would love to make it to 400HP on #2 only but a nice shot of propane or methanol/water injection, or nitrous a few times would be ok I think and I don't plan on pushing the engine farther than I think it can go after building it.

But there are more than 4 or 5 out there with the 6bt that use their 600 + HP trucks as everyday drivers. When they get crazy with things they sometimes break them that is true. But I think I can handle 1 or 2 things breaking over the period of 10 years.

No I don't have deep pockets either....far from it, but this project will come in stride over the next couple years (stilll working on the truck itself) and hopefully with some ingenuity or should I say enginuity and my own fab work I hope to keep the costs down.

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Heat

Another Question.

I need to do some research on radiators but I'm hoping the radiator on my truck will be able to handle the heat especially when putting out some extra horses.

I've seen the newer fans they have (saw it on the cummins forum) dual electric fans that were suppossed to cool better and gains hp over the stocker pully fan.

I really don't have a lot of opportunities to put a larger radiator than the stock one in there for my plans on the truck. The Radiator is an aftermarket upgarde for the 56 with dual cores I believe I will have to ask the guy I bought the truck from again but anyway just wondering on the thoughts of this. I know the one on my PSD is HUGE but then again that thing is over kill in 99% of situations. This truck won't have any AC so not worried about that. Just a small tranny cooler, intercooler, and maybe oil cooler. Hoping to keep all of these out of the way of the radiator not sure if that is going to be possible though.

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Been meaning to make a post for awhile as I have been keeping up and trying to understand compressor sizing. I have been out of math for awhile and need to spend a bit more time then looking at it in the evening but I appreciate all the work. I know you guys are getting good practice and both inputs is very good. It is always good to test each other. Thank you Charles for the simple methods....That is kinda me....like the simple but thank you Dougal as I think it is good to understand the complexity of the issue. I just have a bit more learning and steps to get to where you are....way above me. I'm just catching what Charles is saying. You both are way way above me and agree it seems like close and a 10% variance might not be a big deal in what I'm doing. I'm just trying to get as much out of it as I can.

I've been saving up a few bucks and doing more research and am getting closer to purchasing the engine. If I can figure out which compressors I need I can start searching around for what will fit the bill and save up a few bucks and try and find a good deal. Moving pretty quick on my body work and replacing the rusted out panels and may be ready for an engine quicker than I thought.....if only funds can keep up :confused:

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRvtPl_6gc8

Well I sent him an e-mail. Hopefully he gets back to me. Been a day already and I haven't heard anything.

And for those of you that said it couldn't be done :happyfinger: Now just hope he is telling the truth. Those numbers were either rounded or he has never dyno'd it. From the conversation sounds like he is using a single turbo.

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
He got back to me and seems like a nice guy. Takes awhile to answer e-mails but I'm not complaining. I'm trying to find out more about what he has done but he is running a stock VE pump. I can't beleive he was able to turn it up that much. He said it took a lot of work and he can not squeeze anymore fuel out of it. He said he has plenty of air to work with just no more fuel. He said if he had more fuel he thinks he could get it to 500HP.

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Well I'm having a hard time getting a hold of him again but he did mention that he is using an aftermarket Marine piston that he put into his block that he got out of an old exacavator.

Thanks for that update. I will have to look more into those turbo's, and part numbers. I've still got a lot of learning to do but if another pump could push that kinda fuel I just might be able to save a bunch right off the bat instead of purchasing and exespensive long block with a p pump.

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
You are not missing anything at all. You are right that a 300HP 4bt should be a relatively easy thing to do. Lots of skeptics who have good reasons but yes it can be done. I'm willing to bet a lot of my time and probably unfortuneatly money to say that 400HP is possible. They make some high HP stock engines in the marine application at the 300 level I recently read if i'm remember my numbers correctly.

Only problem is you have a very tall engine. But if you don't mind a hood scoop in your car your good to go. 31" i think. And you would have one heck of a screamer. There is a 6bt in a dragster. I don't remember how much HP that one is cranking out though.

I should find the weight out on my 56 but I don't beleive it to be to heavy. I'm hoping for one hell of a screamer by the time I get it done. I still think the key to a reliable 400HP is a fuel pump that can deliver the fuel. There is one person out there on youtube who I spoke to once but has since to get back to me that claims 400HP/600TQ but I think those might be guesses but havn't gotten back with him to ask. Hopefully he gets back to me though. He is using a VE. Says he has plenty of air (a single turbo) but just not enough fuel.

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Engine found!!! I hope. I'm 99% sure this deal will work out and if so I will have a running inline version after much looking around. Good timing too as I should finish cleaning up the frame tomorrow and be ready to start boxing in and making mounts for the tranny and engine.

One step closer to making that 400HP

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Exactly. Well I will see what happens with this engine. Has the same pump you are running but for the 4bt of course. But yeah I agree. Some say it will cost big money to get to that level but I think if I can do my turbo set up on the DL for cost and do most of the engine work myself I don't see why it should cost me more than 5K including the price of the engine.

The sad realization is I won't be able to actually start doing something but stare at the engine and use it to get everything lined up until after the next deployment. But I'm trying to learn patience in my youth anyway so it is probably a good thing.

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
This thread is still alive?

Someone get one on a dyno putting out 400hp.

I want to know how you did it. :)
Ohh yeah it is still alive. And will be until I get this thing together and on the Dyno. But at the pace I will be moving I'm sure someone will beat me to the punch...Goal July 4th, 2009

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 · (Edited)
Hey 56 just seein if you were still arround....your post is getting kind of stale, and just wonderin how you were doin? ;) Hope to hear back from ya soon....Later, Aaron
Yes, I'm still around. I check the forum a few times a week but I haven't been posting much other than words of encouragement. I don't have an engine (what this forum mostly is) so I feel a bit out of place until I get it.

I've been thinking about posting my buildup on here with pics but it is going to be so long before I get to the engine I figured I'd wait. I'll throw a couple on for awhile and take them off when I start the thread I guess.

I have the frame boxed in. I have about half the rust repaired and new repair panels on now and hope to have all but the last bit done this weekend. Besides body work buying the new bed and painting I'm done until I get the engine.

I figure I can gleam more info from cumminspatrol's post until I start making headway in this department...then I plan to bring this thing to life until it gets done....around OCT of next year when I get back from a deployment.

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
PM sent

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Diesel Power Mag

That Bronco was in DP Mag this month. I guess I'm going to have to go bigger than my original goal. He achieved 453 HP and 700+Lbs TQ. He noted it was undriveable and is now driving with a turbo set up that lands him in the 350HP range. So with twins I have no doubt I can make a driveable 453+ Power daily driver :)

He did not mention anything about lower compression cyclinders. Just sounded like he had a HUGE turbo on their.:grinpimp:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.