Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
61 - 80 of 84 Posts

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Well I'm having a hard time getting a hold of him again but he did mention that he is using an aftermarket Marine piston that he put into his block that he got out of an old exacavator.

Thanks for that update. I will have to look more into those turbo's, and part numbers. I've still got a lot of learning to do but if another pump could push that kinda fuel I just might be able to save a bunch right off the bat instead of purchasing and exespensive long block with a p pump.

· Banned
2,909 Posts
A/C Intercooler?

Have a question that has been nagging me and can tell from reading posts, more intelligence and familiarity with diesels,turbos and intercoolers/aftercoolers than I'll ever have. Am curious if a person could use A/C system as a intercooler/aftercooler to get a denser charge of air and lower EGT's. Like an "on demand" system, seems it would be handy pulling steep grades or towing applications. Would the tradeoff be worth the while(hp drawn vs cooler EGTs) or would they pretty much cancel each other out? Input appreciated. Ive heard(not sure if true) some supercharger appl. might be using this method (Eaton, Kenne Bell)

· Super Moderator
9,675 Posts
Have a question that has been nagging me and can tell from reading posts, more intelligence and familiarity with diesels,turbos and intercoolers/aftercoolers than I'll ever have. Am curious if a person could use A/C system as a intercooler/aftercooler to get a denser charge of air and lower EGT's. Like an "on demand" system, seems it would be handy pulling steep grades or towing applications. Would the tradeoff be worth the while(hp drawn vs cooler EGTs) or would they pretty much cancel each other out? Input appreciated. Ive heard(not sure if true) some supercharger appl. might be using this method (Eaton, Kenne Bell)
You might get the tiniest bit of net power gain (power gained from cooling - power lost to drive AC system) if you put a lot of work into designing the system.
But it's soo much easier to simply make your intercooler as effective as possible as they don't suck crankshaft power.

· Banned
2,909 Posts
Thanks for advice, sounds like it wouldnt be worth the ductwork.

· Registered
131 Posts
Just out of curiosity, has anybody considered supercharging one of these little motors?

It is so obvious that there must be something wrong with the idea, but while I had a few boost gurus monitoring the same thread closely I just wanted to ask. (I might should have started my own thread)

I know alot of the old screamin' detroits were supercharged though I think they were 2 cycle. I remember hearing somewhere that superchargers boost was more linear and didn't spike as drasticaly as turbos. It seems to me therefore it would make more streetable power.

Somebody correct me where I'm off I'm just a newb.

· Registered
477 Posts
Just out of curiosity, has anybody considered supercharging one of these little motors?

It is so obvious that there must be something wrong with the idea, but while I had a few boost gurus monitoring the same thread closely I just wanted to ask. (I might should have started my own thread)

I know alot of the old screamin' detroits were supercharged though I think they were 2 cycle. I remember hearing somewhere that superchargers boost was more linear and didn't spike as drasticaly as turbos. It seems to me therefore it would make more streetable power.

Somebody correct me where I'm off I'm just a newb.
The problem with a supercharger is that it takes power from the motor to turn the charger. Belt drive is a drain. With a turbo the power is exhaust gasses that come nearly free. Top fuel drag cars loose over 300 hp driving the supercharger, but with nearly 5000 hp they don't miss it. The supercharger power does come on earlier. It is nearly linear with RPM. This means that it doesn't make full boost until you are at top RPM. I does give boost from idle though and there is no spooling up. A supercharged gas hot rod on the street is a blast! ($$ticket time$$) A supercharged diesel may not be. For the 3.9 - 400 hp level I think a turbo is unbeatable. Check out the Hot Rod magazine, you'll see that the turbos are becoming the power adder for the Mustang, and now Chevys. They were always the prefered power adder of the 4 cyl gas motors. I can talk gas, but I'm diesel dumb.

· Registered
2 Posts
Great stuff.

HI all new here, but have to ask if the 4 cyl 4bt can be built to 250~300 hp why not put into a <2600lbs car? With the rite transmission should make a very fast streetcar? Or m I missing something here...

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
You are not missing anything at all. You are right that a 300HP 4bt should be a relatively easy thing to do. Lots of skeptics who have good reasons but yes it can be done. I'm willing to bet a lot of my time and probably unfortuneatly money to say that 400HP is possible. They make some high HP stock engines in the marine application at the 300 level I recently read if i'm remember my numbers correctly.

Only problem is you have a very tall engine. But if you don't mind a hood scoop in your car your good to go. 31" i think. And you would have one heck of a screamer. There is a 6bt in a dragster. I don't remember how much HP that one is cranking out though.

I should find the weight out on my 56 but I don't beleive it to be to heavy. I'm hoping for one hell of a screamer by the time I get it done. I still think the key to a reliable 400HP is a fuel pump that can deliver the fuel. There is one person out there on youtube who I spoke to once but has since to get back to me that claims 400HP/600TQ but I think those might be guesses but havn't gotten back with him to ask. Hopefully he gets back to me though. He is using a VE. Says he has plenty of air (a single turbo) but just not enough fuel.

· Registered
335 Posts
light n tight

HI all new here, but have to ask if the 4 cyl 4bt can be built to 250~300 hp why not put into a <2600lbs car? With the rite transmission should make a very fast streetcar? Or m I missing something here...
Well great minds think alike! I ordered the motor to put in a wrangler, but ended up with a molly cage, fiberglass body, and shooting for under 3000lbs.:rasta: The one thing that is different than gas cars, is that you are turning only half the RPMs. I rolled the chassis in on 28 in tires, but to be able to get some speed out of this on the big end I had to go with 33x12.5s. Just think..if my buddy can shoot 8000lb dully into the mid 11s, what can I do at 3000lbs, and two cylinders less.....HMMMM :grinpimp:

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Engine found!!! I hope. I'm 99% sure this deal will work out and if so I will have a running inline version after much looking around. Good timing too as I should finish cleaning up the frame tomorrow and be ready to start boxing in and making mounts for the tranny and engine.

One step closer to making that 400HP

· Registered
1 Posts
i have been reading through this post and i dont belive that 400hp is out of the question on fuel i think that will depend more on what injection system is used i have a 02 f350 with a 2002 6bt and its converted to a p 7100 injection pump which makes big numbers i am only running 475hp and thas every day and haul the ocasioal camper

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Exactly. Well I will see what happens with this engine. Has the same pump you are running but for the 4bt of course. But yeah I agree. Some say it will cost big money to get to that level but I think if I can do my turbo set up on the DL for cost and do most of the engine work myself I don't see why it should cost me more than 5K including the price of the engine.

The sad realization is I won't be able to actually start doing something but stare at the engine and use it to get everything lined up until after the next deployment. But I'm trying to learn patience in my youth anyway so it is probably a good thing.

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
This thread is still alive?

Someone get one on a dyno putting out 400hp.

I want to know how you did it. :)
Ohh yeah it is still alive. And will be until I get this thing together and on the Dyno. But at the pace I will be moving I'm sure someone will beat me to the punch...Goal July 4th, 2009

· Registered
335 Posts
Hey 56 just seein if you were still arround....your post is getting kind of stale, and just wonderin how you were doin? ;) Hope to hear back from ya soon....Later, Aaron

61 - 80 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.