Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all. 1st of all let me say I'm new so if this has been batted around already please forgive me. I've got a bee in my bonnet about the new Cummins R2.8 RePower engine. Sounds great but it just doesn't quite have enough ass in its pants for what I want. And the 5.9/6.7 is too much(I don't need to tow 30K lbs.... 10K would be way more than plenty). So! To that end I'm trying to get some consensus and an idea of who at Cummins I could bother about a 3.9/ISB -170 RePower program. It certainly sounds as though plenty of you guys in here would be interested in such a program. I just spend some time reading some old posts about wiring harness nightmares and other oddities that could be addressed with a comprehensive package like the 2.8 RePower. So what does the community think about such an idea? And does anyone know who, specifically, at Cummins I could start to chew on? Thanks.....

·
Registered
667 Posts
Good look getting Cummins to bite on that idea.

Here's some ISB170 builds........if you haven't read them yet.

And this one is a QSB 4.5 build.

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
There's no major issue with the ISB 3.9 but you must remember it is mostly computer controlled. Also, only has SAE transmission adapters so that can limit the choice of transmissions. The power steering pump can be an issue. If you source an engine you need to be sure it has all the electrical parts including even the accelerator pedal. Replacing missing items is expensive. The most common transmission used was the Allison 1000. There are adapters that can let you use some manuals like the NV4500.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Its a great idea but I agree that its unlikely Cummins would be interested. Making the 170 emissions legal is going to be the biggest hurdle. If they put out a 200hp crate 3.9 I can see a market but it may not be large enough to cover the costs. Its pretty cheap to pick up a used ISB170 and rebuild it compared to a $15K (rough estimate) crate version. The Allison is a good trans, NV4500 not all that good as far as gear ratios go. If there was a market the trans adapters would follow.
You can see from the number of posts on this forum that its not a popular choice. Head over to the old 4BT forum and it gets daily posts and lots of projects under way.

Reactions: Snuggletough

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm just the opposite. I have done ISB170, R2.8. 4BT, 12 valve, 5.9 and 6.7 commonrail swaps.

I've had the absolute best results/finished product with 12 valves. I'll cram a 12 valve into a 33" long engine compartment. With the right gears and tuning it's an absolute blast to drive, great MPG's, dirt simple, tons of power, no downside whatsoever.

If you can fit an ISB170 you can fit a 12 valve. The rear geartrain engines are almost the same length as the 6.

Really, if you can fit an R2.8 you can fit a 12 valve. 12 valve weighs more, but it's packaged much friendlier for a vehicle (especially a LH drive North American one) than the 2.8.

I really don't think Cummins cares about folks doing conversions or 20+ year old engines.

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
Must remember the ISB3.9 is sort of a US market engine. It has been used in a lot of delivery van applications over the years. Not sure if it is still in the Cummins catalog or not. In other countries they get the ISB4.5 which is a lot more powerful. The latest version which meets Euro 6 2017 smog regulations can be had with 210 HP and 626 lb ft of torque. That's a lot of power from the 4 cylinder. Heaven only knows what one of those in a crate would cost and of course you can't import it into the USA. Might bring it into Canada and sneak it across the border.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I believe the Cummins ISB170 was a joint venture with IVECO and so in Europe they have the same basic 3.9 engine only branded IVECO

1 - 7 of 7 Posts