Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i am 15 years old and thinking about putting a 3.9 isb 170 cummins with an Allison 1000 in my 1993 dodge W150. I just had a few questions about how to do the swap like how i would connect the engine harness into the existing truck harness so that all my gauges and other electronics in the cab will still be functional and working. also this is a 4wd pickup and the trans is only 2wd. I've read some things on how to convert it to 4wd but i don't have any idea on what transfer case i should use. the truck originally had a np241d in it so would that match up to the allison?

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Best to get a FWD Allison/transfer case combo. Use as many instrument cluster probes as fit the truck gauges. Need to figure out front diff. pan clearance. Need allow for larger Allison trans. in trans. tunnel. Allison brains? New trans. crossmember. Should get a D-60 front axle, D-44 will work, but be marginal strength wise. Need to do all this and more before starting disassembly.

Read back issues on here, including proposed use, typical loads, part of the country you live in.

Ed in CO.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will be using the truck as a daily driver. i will probably only haul tools and an atv on rare occasion . I do live in eastern CO. also with the 5.2 V-8 I have around 3 1/2 inches of clearance from the oil pan to diff. the engine and trans do come with all wiring harnesses.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
... I do live in eastern CO...
What are the emissions / vehicle inspection requirements where you live? Where you live is based on the address on the vehicle registration.

In some areas of the country, it is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to register a light truck with a diesel conversion (Reno, NV comes to mind). Research this (do NOT trust internet opinions) in your local community.

·
Registered
12,418 Posts
We've have several users do swaps with the ISBe170 so there is info out there. One main issue is to be sure you have the complete wiring harness for the engine and transmission. Both parts are computer controlled. The 2wd Allison 1000 typically found with that engine can be converted to 4x4. Probably use a GM 4x4 transfer case since that transmission came in Duramax diesels. Here are a couple of builds that may give you some ideas. One is a QSB4.5 install in a Dodge W200. That engine is a similar unit to the ISBe only it was a non highway model of 4.5 L instead of 3.9 L. QSB 4.5 into 1974 Dodge W200 The second one is an ISBe170 in a Chevy C10. 1964 c10 isb 170 3.9l There have been several others. Most just don't use that engine with the computer issues that can come up. Parts such as wiring harness or engine/transmission control modules can be very expensive if they are missing or defective.

·
Registered
12,418 Posts
Slow600, I believe that adapter setup is just to mate the transfer case to an original 4x4 transmission. Allison 1000's that came behind the ISBe170 were not 4x4. You'd need to replace the rear section of the transmission case and the output shaft. Those parts aren't exactly cheap but nothing Allison is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all the advice. also the engine and trans do come with the complete wiring harnesses including both computers and the fuel pedal for the engine. also i will look more into the 2wd to 4wd conversion.

·
Registered
12,418 Posts
You can find many videos showing the conversion of that transmission to 4x4. Transmission needs to be standing on its end to do that. Also, that puppy isn't light so a lift of some type will be necessary. That bare transmission weighs 330 lbs. Also, may require some tunnel work on your truck. That creature is big.

·
Registered
1964 Chevy C10, Cummins ISB170, Allison 1000 5 speed, full float 9”, ECU Tune, 5/7” static drop
220 Posts
Brennen15, An ISB170 swap is a great learning experience. You will learn to read schematics, fabricate components, and be patient. The best advice is to plan out your swap and then execute. Layout your wiring and form it all, once it looks good then start cutting and terminate. This swap is electronic, get your ESN off the ECU and register with quickserve. Quickserve will be a top resource as well as this forum. Electronics are the industry normal, learn it. The only difference from an Electronic control engine from a mechanical is the electronics. Every swap will require fabrication of mounts, brackets, sheet metal, plumbing, etc. The ISB has plenty of places to attach factory senders to allow factory gauges. Your speedometer may be the only issue, the Allison uses an electronic speedometer signal. As for the ISB170, they are not a common engine. My build is a hobby and I do not mind searching for parts. EVguy has driven thousands of miles on his Dakota swap. I encourage and advocate any swap, especially a younger person.
Now some words of wisdom for anyone performing a swap. If it be mechanical, electronic, Diesel, petrol, gasoline, you will need MONEY and TIME. Do not believe the internet that a junkyard engine was used and swapped for $1000. Fittings, hoses, clamps, wire, connectors, fluids, tools, consumables add up fast. I have built 57 pontiac star chief, 63 Catalina, 67 mustang, 69 Chevelle, 70 Chevelles, 69 Grand Prix, jeeps, Willy’s, F100s, and C10. I have had more money than brains, but I smile ear to ear.

·
Registered
1964 Chevy C10, Cummins ISB170, Allison 1000 5 speed, full float 9”, ECU Tune, 5/7” static drop
220 Posts
so i was wondering if a 2003-2005 cummins throttle pedal will work for the isb 170
Not sure, I use a Williams controls pedal 5241936.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok so I have purchased an isb 170 and Allison 1000 around September and I have gotten it cleaned up and repainted. I've notched the crossmember and and notched the oil pan for clearance. now i would like to test the engine before i start building engine and trans mounts because I don't want to buy material only to find out that the engine doesn't even run. My question is what all do I need to have for it to run or to try and start it ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i have registered with quickserve but the wiring diagrams are just down right confusing for me to under stand

·
Registered
220 Posts
You need 12v positive, negative, key switch input, and throttle pedal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Fxsu I had a few questions on everything you kept in the wiring for the Allison to work and shift properly

·
Registered
220 Posts
Fxsu I had a few questions on everything you kept in the wiring for the Allison to work and shift properly
You will need to keep everything on the “J2” Red connector.
On the “J1” Grey connector you will need,
-Battery positive 10 amp fused on pin 3
-Battery negative on pin 1 and 5
-Keyed 10 amp fused ignition positive on pin 2 and 4, this can also jumper to a light for the “check transmission” indicator. The other wire for the “check transmission” indicator will go to pin 25. Check tans light is not required.
-CAN HI, J1939 pin 29
-CAN LO, J1939 pin 32
-CAN SHIELD pin 31

buy a ATSG manual for Allison and go to figure 21 or page 19 for the minimum wiring schematic. Hope this helps

1 - 20 of 26 Posts